What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:40 pm
tonight's the very last episode of The Walking Dead. last 2 series have been excellent in general. shame about some of the those in between when they went from being brilliant and when they weren't.

shame though I got a lot of time invested in the show...
seems as though Negan and Maggie get a spin off The Walking Dead - Dead City and Rick and Michonne get maybe just a one off 6 episode season and Daryl will get a series set in Europe, apparently Carol decided not to go (the actor that is apparently didn't want to go) and stayed.

pretty decent ending with a few "older" characters bumped off along the way.

no spoilers.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Tokyo Vice on BBC1 - quite good so far
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Someone at work tipped me off about a Finnish Scandi drama on Channel 4 - 'Arctic Circle'. It's one of the Walter Presents series.
Killer on the loose and a possible viral pandemic taking place up in Lapland.
Two episodes in and I'm hooked.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:43 pm Someone at work tipped me off about a Finnish Scandi drama on Channel 4 - 'Arctic Circle'. It's one of the Walter Presents series.
cheers for the head's up on that.

not all of the Walter Presents are available, sometimes they're under the original country title, sometimes not.

have to say, I'm pretty sure I've never been disappointed by any of them I've managed to get hold of.

ToMoS used to be the go to lad on these but unfortunately he doesn't post on here any more.

cheers again.

:newthumb:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Another shout for SAS Rogue heroes.

Also discovered Am I being unreasonable? which is funny and something a little bit different.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

simon hammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:01 am La Brea.

First two episodes as it popped in on my 'if you like this, try these as well' notifications.

Not bad...very similar to Lost though. I'll give it a real good go, and see where I stand after completing the first season.
Season 1 completed. Really enjoyed it, far more than I thought.

Starting on season 2 after the football this evening.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Done a few more episodes of Tokyo Vice tonight on iplayer. Surprised no one else has mentioned it as it is actually really good. As an aside I found out Shabu was Japanese for Meth!

I've pinched a synopsis off the net:

The story of an intrepid reporter facing down the malignancy of organised crime is hardly fresh territory. Yet the concentrated power of Tokyo Vice, the new crime series starring Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe among a constellation of excellent supporting roles, is such that the material feels lively with intrigue, detail and dark wit. It’s also as visually appealing as it is smart, from the imagery of its opening credits — featuring close-ups of sinuously moving yakuza tattoos — to its pilot episode, which was directed by executive producer and filmmaker Michael Mann.

A shaggy-haired Elgort is Jake Adelstein, a real crime reporter who transferred from the University of Missouri to study in Japan in the ’90s and never left, becoming the first foreign employee of one of Tokyo’s most eminent newspapers, Yomiuri Shimbun. Adelstein’s actual memoir served as the source material for Tokyo Vice, and we get the sense that his employment at the paper was not an initially popular decision. Jake’s boss often scolds him with a shout of, “Gaijin!” (“Foreigner!”) across the newsroom, and he begins there by doing the hack work of a petty crime beat: purse-snatchers, pickpockets and local perverts.

When a fatal stabbing and a recent suicide both seem to have mysterious connective tissue that no-one in authority wants to admit, Jake takes it upon himself to start digging deeper. In that work he meets any number of ambiguous figures, from movie-cool vice cop Miyamoto (Hideako Itô, excellently laconic when he says things like, “There are no murders in Japan”) to an enigmatic detective played by Ken Watanabe, or hard-faced, young yakuza up-and-comer Sato (Shô Kasamatsu), who shares a surprising love for American trainers. What soon becomes self-evident is that publicly admitting the existence of organised crime in Japan is seen as basically unacceptable: so how can a gaijin print it in a newspaper?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Metal Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:43 pm As an aside I found out Shabu was Japanese for Meth!

That'll explain some of the threads he's started.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

C4.
24 Hours In Police Custody.

Not sure if this needs debating in NUMB but if anything is wrong in 'society' this exposed it very well.

Very briefly, Bloke catches two 'lads' trying to break into his home, he's a working bloke, electrician I think, married etc. etc. He sets off in his car in pursuit of these two and as a result there's a quite serious accident.

Spoiler alert, although you don't need to be Einstein to guess what happened:

The two 'lads' previous,etc.etc. end up 'suspended sentence', The 'Bloke' does time. They decide to move from the area in fear of retributions.. I suppose he's taken the law into his own hands, but ain't that what the 'baddies' are doing all the time?

Can't decide if I recommend that you watch it or not, I was seething.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

As well as working my way through the series 'Only Murders in the Building', I've watched a few films over the last few days.

The Outlaw Josey Wales - One of my favourite Clint Eastwood films, probably even one of my favourite all time films.

Speak No Evil - Danish film. Classed as a horror but I'd say the majority of it falls under suspense. I liked it but for one thing... the main character was so pathetic, it was hard to feel sympathy. To be fair, I think that was the whole point of the film.

Tried watching a dutch horror called 'Moloch' based on dutch folklore. I had to turn it off midway though... it was a very slow moving film and as I was already tired before starting, I started drifting off.

Minions: The Rise of Gru - watched this with my 8 year old. Good fun. I won't judge it too much and I always think it's unfair when they are judged and rated by adults. These films are aimed at kids. My 8 year old clearly loved it and gave it a thumbs up - therefore its a thumbs up from me too.

Memento - another of my all time favourites. I've found much of Nolan's work since quite over-rated. This is, in my opinion, his best film by far.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix - Documentary where a journalist travels around the world pointing to sites that provide 'evidence' of his theory that there was an advanced civilisation around the end of the ice age that pre-dates the accepted rise of civilisation on Earth. While quite interesting and visually impressive he doesn't actually provide evidence more concrete than 'lots of ancient societies have stories of a great flood so that must have happened and destroyed the civilisation' while he points out with a straight face that archaeologists have not disproved his theories :chin:
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

OFT wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:42 am Can't decide if I recommend that you watch it or not, I was seething.
I saw that OFT, like you I was seething and amazed they didn't get anything more than that - without their actions the guy would not have been put in that situation. I get the CPS have to look at both actions separately, two wrongs and all that but no doubt there are cases like this up and down the country where by no fault of their own people are put into situations at a split second and that decision to try and protect yourself, family and possessions change your life forever.

Then you had one of them sitting there saying to the camera - 'I used to want to be a mechanic but its easier to just go out and get money elsewhere by other means' the word scum is thrown around too easy but on this case I'll make an exception. I wanted to put my foot through the TV.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:32 am Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix - Documentary where a journalist travels around the world pointing to sites that provide 'evidence' of his theory that there was an advanced civilisation around the end of the ice age that pre-dates the accepted rise of civilisation on Earth. While quite interesting and visually impressive he doesn't actually provide evidence more concrete than 'lots of ancient societies have stories of a great flood so that must have happened and destroyed the civilisation' while he points out with a straight face that archaeologists have not disproved his theories :chin:
Really interesting documentary series that I enjoyed loads. It's certainly thought provoking.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:32 am Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix - Documentary where a journalist travels around the world pointing to sites that provide 'evidence' of his theory that there was an advanced civilisation around the end of the ice age that pre-dates the accepted rise of civilisation on Earth. While quite interesting and visually impressive he doesn't actually provide evidence more concrete than 'lots of ancient societies have stories of a great flood so that must have happened and destroyed the civilisation' while he points out with a straight face that archaeologists have not disproved his theories :chin:
Yeah, at the start I found myself supporting him, the more it went on, not so much.

He certainly makes some good points, but at the same time, it feels very much like he determined to be proven right despite what the evidence points to.
simon hammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:58 pm
Really interesting documentary series that I enjoyed loads. It's certainly thought provoking.
Indeed it was, I had no idea many of the Megaliths even existed, especially the ones on the Turkish/Syria boarder.

Despite my thoughts on Graham Hancock, it was absolutely fascinating viewing.
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

OFT wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:42 am C4.

Not sure if this needs debating in NUMB but if anything is wrong in 'society' this exposed it very well.

Very briefly, Bloke catches two 'lads' trying to break into his home, he's a working bloke, electrician I think, married etc. etc. He sets off in his car in pursuit of these two and as a result there's a quite serious accident.

Spoiler alert, although you don't need to be Einstein to guess what happened:

The two 'lads' previous,etc.etc. end up 'suspended sentence', The 'Bloke' does time. They decide to move from the area in fear of retributions.. I suppose he's taken the law into his own hands, but ain't that what the 'baddies' are doing all the time?

Can't decide if I recommend that you watch it or not, I was seething.
Just watched that on more4. What a terribly sad outcome for the decent, hard working bloke. Boiled my pi$$ that did.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:11 pm Yeah, at the start I found myself supporting him, the more it went on, not so much.

He certainly makes some good points, but at the same time, it feels very much like he determined to be proven right despite what the evidence points to.

Indeed it was, I had no idea many of the Megaliths even existed, especially the ones on the Turkish/Syria boarder.

Despite my thoughts on Graham Hancock, it was absolutely fascinating viewing.
Indeed, I've only watched the first 2 episodes but would love to see an excavation of the chambers below Gurun Padang.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:11 pm I had no idea many of the Megaliths even existed.
Well Dave Mustaine definitely existed. And Dave Ellefson too, I think.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

That Hancock thing is right up Mrs J's alley (ouch) I think she watched them all back to back. I caught most of it and and was really interested in parts but there was that final lack of evidence missing IMO. Interesting stuff though.
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

OFT wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:42 am C4.

Just heard that someone has set up a go fund me thingy for the guy who went to prison and it was at £110,000

Maybe there is a god!!!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

jevs wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:47 pm Just heard that someone has set up a go fund me thingy for the guy who went to prison and it was at £110,000

Maybe there is a god!!!
Have you a link please Jevs?