What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Billy Hunt wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:47 pm
On a lighter note, we caught up on "the Split" ... kind of rinse and repeat on previous series, tinged with a fair bit of sadness, but watchable and got me in the good lady's good books for sticking with it without moaning too much
I like that series and am about 2 episodes left in the last one to be "aired."

no spoilers but f**k me, Nicola Walker has done nothing but cry throughout the entire episodes that I've watched so far.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

OFT wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:25 am BBC The Terror (series 2) Infamy.

Watched all of this. This series set in a Japanese camp in WW11 and is a kind of horror story. We really enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as the first series, but good non the less.
I'm watching this as it is shown on TV, so I'm 4 episodes in. It seems very slow so far, although I'm enjoying the historical context. I thought the first series worked better as a survival story than a horror, and so far this is working better on a domestic/culture clash level.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Northman

at 2 hours and 17 minutes, it was 2 hours and 25 minutes too long.

f**k me, what a load of crap..

:swear:
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

I saw Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen at the cinema & didn't think too much of it.

Now it's on Netflix & I've watched it twice this week & it's better than I thought.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:34 am The Northman

at 2 hours and 17 minutes, it was 2 hours and 25 minutes too long.

f**k me, what a load of crap..

:swear:
Blokes at work were raving about it. One of my bosses even watched it twice, one time after the other.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Shabu wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am I saw Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen at the cinema & didn't think too much of it.

Now it's on Netflix & I've watched it twice this week & it's better than I thought.
Ritchie’s best film for me. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell are great with both stealing every scene they’re in.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Finally got round to Ghostbusters Afterlife and thoroughly enjoyed it. Way better than I expected with some poignant moments that were sentimental nods to the past without being over indulgent.
Good film for the family to sit down and watch together, as we did.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:31 pm I like that series and am about 2 episodes left in the last one to be "aired."

no spoilers but f**k me, Nicola Walker has done nothing but cry throughout the entire episodes that I've watched so far.
No spoilers from me... My wife cried about as much as Nicola Walker did throughout :rofl:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Shabu wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 am Blokes at work were raving about it. One of my bosses even watched it twice, one time after the other.
each to their own, for sure..

thing is it spent ages going nowhere really. nothing that The Last Kingdom hadn't done, and done 10 times better. yes, I know that was about 8 hours worth, but that at least had character development. I wouldn't have minded them having big bloody battle scenes in lieu of that, but they didn't.

and the battles (if you can call them that) were shytely put together. I remember early doors the main character was going over the wall and the bloke he was supposed to kill, fell down before he swung his sword or axe whatever it was. then he followed through so it looked like he killed him.

very poor.

felt it fell between the cracks of being something like The 300 and being completely comic book to not being real either, and it neither being fictional in his "dream" scenes. complete mess imvho that got RAVE reviews from the critics. bombed at the box office according to some reviews.

must have watched The 300 and the sequel about 5 times each. nothing to keep up with really, just entertained me. this ? straight into the recycle bin after viewing.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

OFT wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 pm Be interesting to see your views on (The Terror: Infamy) LC
I really enjoyed it, OFT. Not quite as much as the first season (and comparisons are probably unfair whilst simultaneously inevitable), but I liked it. Like the first season, and like movies such as, say, The Descent (Marshall, 2005) or even From Dusk Till Dawn (Rodriguez, 1996) to some extent, The Terror: Infamy is one of those tales which already presents a gripping enough premise without becoming a creature feature, so peoples' mileage may vary with this one depending upon how happy they are for an already fascinating story of the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII (about which I'll readily admit I knew nothing, although watching the show has sent me Googling for more historically accurate accounts) to be placed in tandem with an entirely supernatural yūrei horror story.

Luckily for me, I love a spot of folklore-driven j-horror, so The Terror: Infamy successfully pushed all my buttons, once I'd settled into it and gotten a feel for who's who, what's happening etc.

George "Mr. Sulu" Takei was wonderfully understated as elderly fisherman Nobuhiro Yamato, and it was great to see C. Thomas Howell chewing the scenery as the dastardly Major Bowen. Ooh, what a dastard!

It's out on blu-ray on Monday. For an old dinosaur like me who still collects physical media, that'll be an immediate purchase. :newthumb: :newthumb:
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

last.caress wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:24 pm I really enjoyed it, OFT. Not quite as much as the first season (and comparisons are probably unfair whilst simultaneously inevitable), but I liked it. so peoples' mileage may vary with this one depending upon how happy they are for an already fascinating story of the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII (about which I'll readily admit I knew nothing, although watching the show has sent me Googling for more historically accurate accounts)

George "Mr. Sulu" Takei was wonderfully understated as elderly fisherman Nobuhiro Yamato,
:newthumb:

George Takei was great, to be fair we liked all the characters, At this point I'll add that Her OFTness tends to go for these kinds of 'shows' initially rather than me but I soon get 'hooked'
I also had no idea about those camps previously either although I've not done the googling about it.
The first series was to us, and I realise this is an overused word these days, a masterpiece, but as I said, we really enjoyed this too.

Oh and Dusk til Dawn...fantastic film
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Operation Mincmeat - terrific fun, great story, sharp dialogue. Loved the James Bond references. Superb. :newthumb:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

We nearly gave up on Derry Girls. Well we had. After a poor first episode the first couple of minutes of the second was shaping up to be pretty rank. It looked like they’d run out of ideas and resorted to caricatures of the first two series.

We came back to it today just because we couldn’t let it go without a fight. 🙂 So glad we did. Not the amount of belly laughs as previous series but it had a depth to it not seen before. Consequently it got better and better the more and more engaged you were with it. Programmes too often end disappointingly but this one’s culmination was as good a send-off as you could hope for. Just spot on.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

OFT wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:23 pm Oh and Dusk til Dawn...fantastic film
👍 Still remember watching it the first time on video. Hadn’t heard of it. Started off, as you know, as a terrific abs tense heist movie and then ……. Wtf! Where did that come from? Never been so wrong-footed by a film before or since. Deliciously mental.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Wire

season 5. the last one. I had been putting it off because once it's done, it really gone forever. not sure I'd sit through the entire thing again because you "know the endings."

no point in getting attached to characters early when you know their fate later on in the series.

however, it's a bloody good watch.

no spoilers but I'm in bits.

:cried:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

2-1-4-3-5
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bloody good cast all around though, especially when Idris Elba was in it. he did have a naff American accent to be honest. why couldn't he be English ? I'm sure there's some shady English/Irish blokes in the drug trade in the US.

going to be sad when it's done though.

no way McNulty keeps his job though, he drinks so much he'd stink of it the next day AND he wouldn't be able to function.

:rofl:
Walsall Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Walsall Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:32 pm The Wire

season 5. the last one. I had been putting it off because once it's done, it really gone forever. not sure I'd sit through the entire thing again because you "know the endings."

no point in getting attached to characters early when you know their fate later on in the series.

however, it's a bloody good watch.

no spoilers but I'm in bits.

:cried:
I'd definitely recommend a second watch in a year or 2, you'd be surprised how many little lines and sub plots you miss and only after the 2nd watch do you fully realise how good season 2. Still peerless after 20 years.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

was that the Dock Worker Union one ?

I can fully understand why it's rated so very highly in "Top 5 tv series you HAVE to watch" that's for sure...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:26 pm We nearly gave up on Derry Girls. Well we had. After a poor first episode the first couple of minutes of the second was shaping up to be pretty rank. It looked like they’d run out of ideas and resorted to caricatures of the first two series.

We came back to it today just because we couldn’t let it go without a fight. 🙂 So glad we did. Not the amount of belly laughs as previous series but it had a depth to it not seen before. Consequently it got better and better the more and more engaged you were with it. Programmes too often end disappointingly but this one’s culmination was as good a send-off as you could hope for. Just spot on.
Hopefully the new series will be up to scratch...