What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

24 hour Party People (2002)

Hadn't seen it in a few years and tbh had forgotten how good it is. Coogan is great as always, but some of the support is outstanding.

The ever scary Sean Harris is a stand-out as Ian Curtis.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Rise and fall on Channel 4.

Not my usual thing but had it on while doing some stuff on the laptop. what a crock of :thdn:

Implausible, unlikeable, characters. A ridiculous poremise, unconvincly pressented and an awful end where they didn't show you the whole point of the exercise.

Have obviously put it on series link. :oops:
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

ITV Grace

/Bit of a come down after the excellent 'Endeavour' but watchable if slightly predictable, 7/10
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Working my way through 'The Last of Us'. I'll give Severance a go once I'm finished with that.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

OFT wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:07 am ITV Grace

/Bit of a come down after the excellent 'Endeavour' but watchable if slightly predictable, 7/10
Aye, John Simms is a good actor and Grace is a decent watch but after the perfection that was the Endeavour finale last week, it is a bit like after the Lord Mayors Show.
However that is more about just how good Endeavour was than any fault with Grace .
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:40 am Office Space. I should have heeded the warning back in 2000 when I first saw it. Why didn’t I? Cowardice, I suppose.
Indeed. I reach for this gif quite often.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:33 pm Indeed. I reach for this gif quite often.
I gif I can relate to right now. My motivation is dwindling fast.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:44 pm I gif I can relate to right now. My motivation is dwindling fast.
Mine is abominable.

If my superiors saw how I'd spent my working days this calendar year I'd be in trouble.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:49 pm Mine is abominable.

If my superiors saw how I'd spent my working days this calendar year I'd be in trouble.
Surely they'd conclude that you had no choice about it?

It's not really you being lazy, more lazy being you?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:50 am Watched the final one last night (oddly for me as I don't like watching last episodes of characters I love - never seen the remorseful day).
Are you mad? :) Seriously Sam - just watch it. A scene from the last Endeavour directly related to the last Morse. The only wrong note from RD is the way its most famous line is delivered, well not delivered, but the way the audience hear it because of the over-work of the sound man.

Agree with what you say about the transition from Endeavour to Morse. It was a coming of age series after all wasn't it?

Last word on Endeavour - I don't know if you, OFT, CRS, etc have seen it but the documentary that followed the last episode was worth a watch - I knew Shaun Evans' accent was scouse but to hear Sara Vickers' heavy Scottish accent and the posh pathologist talk in real life like we do around here, made me realise what actors actually do :)

Watched The Gold. Excellent. Much better than I expected. It's had some criticism in the press about the way it portrayed Noye - newspapers saying it glamourised him/ turned him into a working class hero. I think they don't get it. We are allowed to see him as for example, the jury perceived him at the time when they acquitted him, rather than the man everyone now knows him to be. In my opinion, it was clever and quite brave in its way to portray him as they did.
Chicken Run Supreme

Dave, I did watch the Endeavour documentary and like you, I was taken aback to hear Sara Vickers’ Scottish brogue.
Having savoured every last drop of the final 3 episodes, I was happy to soak up another hour of how the last episode was shot.
I am planning on a full re-visit of Endeavour from episode 1 and moving straight on to The Dead of Jericho and going all the way through to The Remorseful Day, just need to find the time.

Yep, The Gold was very good too. Jack Lowden was excellent as Noye and Hugh Bonneville was surprisingly effective as Boyce.
OFT

Post by OFT »

I've not seen the Endeavour documentary but will try and catch up with it
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Cocaine Bear - Farrelly Bros meets Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino. Sort of. I can’t decide if it’s brilliant or complete rubbish. Which I guess is the idea. :)
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 pm Cocaine Bear - Farrelly Bros meets Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino. Sort of. I can’t decide if it’s brilliant or complete rubbish. Which I guess is the idea. :)
I came on here to post that I watched it yesterday as well.
My comment is that it’s so bad that it’s good!
The park ranger had me chuckling away for some weird unknown reason??? Especially how she dies
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Jonathan Ross' Myths & Legends - quite interesting looking into the mythology of the British Isles although it's a bit of a whistlestop tour.
Chicken Run Supreme

Bank of Dave

Based on the true story of Dave Fishwick, a Burnley entrepreneur who took on the establishment to set up an independent bank. Its a charming tale that despite some liberal dollops of schmaltz, had an Ealing-esque quality.
At the heart of the film is a wonderfully engaging performance from Rory Kinnear in the lead role. A film that doesn’t require too much brain power but one that’ll put a smile on your face.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm Bank of Dave
What's this on please CRS? I actually watched the original documentary years ago (I think on C4). Dave was a real character, proper old school force of nature type.
OFT

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:15 pm
Last word on Endeavour - I don't know if you, OFT, CRS, etc have seen it but the documentary that followed the last episode was worth a watch - I knew Shaun Evans' accent was scouse but to hear Sara Vickers' heavy Scottish accent and the posh pathologist talk in real life like we do around here, made me realise what actors actually do :)
Firstly, ta fer the heads up on that Dave.
We watched it last night and a superb insight into the series and as you say, seeing the actors as themselves showing the skills they have, Incidentally, I had no idea that 'Dorothea ' the press lady, played by Abigail Thaw, is in fact John Thaws' daughter, I suppose the clue is in the name :oops:

C4
24 hours in Police Custody
The Honeytrap Murder.(2episodes over 2 nights)

I won't go into detail for those who have still to watch but it's a sobering reminder in this time of understandable police scrutiny, of the uttersh1te( crimes AND the perpetrators thereof) they have to deal with on a day to day basis.
Well worth watching
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Succession reviews are out for its final season and it shouldn’t be surprising that it looks like it’s going with a massive bang.

So excited for this. :scarfer:
Chicken Run Supreme

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am What's this on please CRS? I actually watched the original documentary years ago (I think on C4). Dave was a real character, proper old school force of nature type.
Netflix, we’ll worth a watch