What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by S-H »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:36 pm Been watching Paramount show ‘The Offer’. It’s a dramatization of the events surrounding the making of The Godfather and it’s ****ing brilliant.

Matthew Goode’s performance is extroadinary but all the performances are great. Sharp, witty and a genuinely fascinating story. Must see telly.
Paramount plus, moley?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:48 pm Paramount plus, moley?
Yes mate, I believe so.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Had never seen Happy Valley until last week, when Mrs Dave and I binged the first two series and the first episode of the new series inside three days. And we never binge, but we were that hoooked. A Bafta winning actress in Joanna Scanlan is excellent in Light in the Hall, but she doesn't come close to Sarah Lancashire's mesmerising performance in this. Superb doesn't come close. I feel exhausted just watching her go through it all.

Not sure about the Detectorists special. So good to see them but it lacked something for me. It had been a while - maybe it lost something, that made it more than special, in the intervening years? Still very watchable though - they'd just set the bar so high.

Now that I've had a taste of binging I might save all episodes of the latest series of His Dark Materials and 'do' them all in a day :)

Last one to mention for now - saw lots of great films over Christmas - the most memorable though was the new German version of All Quiet on the Western Front. Before watching it, I wondered if despite the rave review, it was a mistake to remake this - after all, the first one was a masterpiece. But this was epic in every sense of the word, with superb performances especially from the main character - sorry don't know his name. Not for the squeamish though - it shirks from nothing.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:36 pm Been watching Paramount show ‘The Offer’. It’s a dramatization of the events surrounding the making of The Godfather and it’s ****ing brilliant.

Matthew Goode’s performance is extroadinary but all the performances are great. Sharp, witty and a genuinely fascinating story. Must see telly.
Must get round to watching this, been on my ‘To Watch’ list for a while now.
Currently hooked on Yellowstone, also via Paramount+
Chicken Run Supreme

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:14 pm A Bafta winning actress in Joanna Scanlan is excellent in Light in the Hall, but she doesn't come close to Sarah Lancashire's mesmerising performance in this. Superb doesn't come close. I feel exhausted just watching her go through it all.
That’s the thing with Sarah Lancashire’s performance in Happy Valley .
You feel drained because you have felt the highs, though not many of them, and the lows , plenty of them, of every shift, every dinner table get together, every confrontation of everyday in her life. She draws you in with a subtle powerhouse performance that will once again hoover up the acting gongs come awards season, and rightly so.
Who would have thought that she had that in her arsenal when, all those years ago she asked Ken Barlow Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Over the last few nights I've watched...

Hellraiser (the new one) - meh. The costumes looked far too much like costumes and therefore looked nowhere near as gross as they probably wanted them to look.

Sissy - Australian horror which I quite liked. I think I've liked far more than I've disliked when it comes to Australian horror films.

Rabid (the remake) - another meh. Not a patch on the David Cronenberg one. Saying that, I haven't actually watched that one for many many years and it may well look dated and crap if I watched it again now.

A Bluebird in My Heart - Drama/Thriller from France/Belgium about an ex con who has to face his old demons when a girl he befriends is assaulted. It was a little bleak but otherwise a very good film.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:36 am Must get round to watching this, been on my ‘To Watch’ list for a while now.
Currently hooked on Yellowstone, also via Paramount+
Have you seen season 5 yet?

I was really disappointed. Literally nothing happens - just a lot of filling in with (admittedly) gorgeous cinematography/cowboy ****.

There are more episodes coming so it’s probably building to something typically OTT. :)
Chicken Run Supreme

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:00 am Have you seen season 5 yet?

I was really disappointed. Literally nothing happens - just a lot of filling in with (admittedly) gorgeous cinematography/cowboy ****.

There are more episodes coming so it’s probably building to something typically OTT. :)
Only started it between Christmas and New Year but have managed the first two seasons already.
Once I’m up to speed with season 5 I was going to dip into 1883 and 1923 - have you seen either of them yet.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:30 am Only started it between Christmas and New Year but have managed the first two seasons already.
Once I’m up to speed with season 5 I was going to dip into 1883 and 1923 - have you seen either of them yet.
I’ve started 1883 but got a bit cowboyed out so have put it on hold. Looking forward to 1923 - Harrison Ford I think?

Also started Tulsa King which I wanted to be great but is a bit sillier than I expected.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1669 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 am I’ve started 1883 but got a bit cowboyed out so have put it on hold. Looking forward to 1923 - Harrison Ford I think?

Also started Tulsa King which I wanted to be great but is a bit sillier than I expected.
really enjoyed 1883. fantastic cast, the lead girl is gorgeous !!!

seriously though the entire cast is brilliant. twists and turns and don't want to say more because it would contain spoilers.

yes Harrison Ford and our own Helen Mirren I'm pretty sure is the female lead.

I also read someplace they're doing a "bridge" between 1883 and the latter series, both which are one offs and not supposed to be a series in their own right. the bridge one might just be one or two episodes or even "flashbacks" in Yellowstone. or could be just a project and not committed.

I do recommend 1883 though.

aaah....

Yellowstone

To introduce the new series 1883 to Yellowstone viewers, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill appeared as James and Margaret Dutton in flashback scenes during the fourth season of Yellowstone to show what life was like on the Dutton ranch in 1893, ten years after the Dutton family arrival in Montana.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

I watched the documentary on James Arthur and his mental health issues. Did not know anything about him before that.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Stonehouse - which seems to be this years mad, based on a true story thing, like the canoe guy last year

I knew the name and elements of the story from my childhood, but if a lot of that is how it happened, then what a fantastic story.

Just the documentary part to go.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Looking forward to this starting on Monday.

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Finally started watching Industry. I find it entertaining although I think they do push the sexual element too much. Although Yasmin is so fine. I have watched half a dozen episodes so far. It is like Billions but less treacherous.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am Looking forward to this starting on Monday.
I so love those games that I am concerned that a tv show will dilute their glory.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Finally watched Brassic s4 finale. Bit of a dark turn at the end...

Gave up with Gangs of London about 3 episodes into season 2. Series 1 started off Brilliantly, went a bit downhill halfway through and series 2 was utter crap so far. The daft ultra violence just got boring.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am Looking forward to this starting on Monday.

Never played the game though I know it's a classic.

The reviews for this have been excellent, Pascal is always good value and Bella Ramsey was brilliant in Game of Thrones.

Is this on Sky?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Crazy Rich Asians

A Rom-Com story that has been done to death, but with Asians. Seeing Singapore in all its glamour was the one highlights of a very unoriginal and dull film. Disappointing after hearing good things and a promising cast.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Alpha Male (MachoAlpha). A light/ dark Spanish comedy take on the issues currently under discussion in the NUMB 'Andrew Tate' thread. 'Demasculisation', internet influencers and speakers, 'modern' sexual mores and relationships. Very funny and relevant while avoiding the nasty stuff. (Netflix). You might call it social satire.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

smuts wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:44 pm
Is this on Sky?
Yep, Sky Atlantic Smuts. :thup: