What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by chigwells finest »

southbrishammer wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:31 pm I just watched this. It was quite enjoyable, but incredibly far-fetched plotwise. Andy Serkis was excellent.
agree with your comments, so much of the storyline could never happen , but worth a watch,

' Marlowe '

was total yawn
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 1668 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

night before last

Beyond Paradise

yet again produces another hour of watchable telly..

excellent cast imvho...

Zahra Ahmadi - I'm in love..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 pm My two pennies worth on the conclusion of Happy Valley

Outstanding.

Understated and all the better for it. Such attention to detail in some of the scenes where so much can be said without actually saying it. When Ryan is telling Catherine how Clare has always been there for him from day one, you felt that Catherine was forgiving of her sister’s betrayal without a word of it mentioned. That’s down to the acting skills of Sarah Lancashire and Sally Wainwright’s wonderful script.
As has already been mentioned, the head to head with TLR and Catherine was immense. Who would have thought after the depraved violence his character had shown previously, James Norton would have you feeling sympathy for him?
There was the poignancy of a photo album that had more blank pages than photos of Becky, a tale of a life too short. Heartbreaking agony for Catherine but a realisation for TLR of what might have been made all the more gut wrenching as he then looked at Ryan’s childhood snaps.
Brilliant acting across the board and beautifully scripted. Superb TV with thankfully, a denouement that did not disappoint.
Was late to Happy Valley but watched all three series over the last month

Brilliant from start to finish IMHO
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

We finally watched the latest Strike series, Troubled Blood.

Holliday Grainger and Tom Burke really make a good pairing and a good little mystery underpinning it.

Will watch Luther this week...not expecting much, the last few series were pretty ropey.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Second set of episodes of Daisy Jones & The Six on Prime. Could just copy and paste my thoughts on the first few. Moves a little too slow, characters outside of the leads are pretty flimsy. Still manages to be an enjoyable watch though due to the brilliant job they do of recreating the time period and the growing chemistry between the leads. If anything good has come of it it's pushing me towards listening to a load of early 70s Californian rock music.

Also just finished the The Puppet Master on Netflix, think I'm about a year late on that one. Don't really want to say much in danger of giving away details but the man is pure ****ing evil. Actually slightly disgusted that Netflix have also rushed out a fairly glossy looking dramatisation of the whole thing in such quick order as well.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:11 am Luther: Fallen Sun

I won't spoil any of it but will make two comments.

1) Idris Elba is clearly absolutely fine about the fact he's never going to get to play Bond
2) I'm here to talk with anyone else once they've watched it about how we both need to make better choices with our lives.
They turned a cracking BBC series into a pile of a doggy doo film. I mean, how bad was it, I can get by in films with huge plot holes, but this...my god it was dreadful. -46 out of 10 - worse film I have seen in years & years.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:33 am They turned a cracking BBC series into a pile of a doggy doo film. I mean, how bad was it, I can get by in films with huge plot holes, but this...my god it was dreadful. -46 out of 10 - worse film I have seen in years & years.
didn't finish the entire thing in one go.

struggling to keep up with as you say, a pile of doggy poo.

my memory might not be great but I thought I remembered the tv series being brilliant especially with "Alice" wasn't it ? in there...she was great.

this one ?

all of the wonder and intrigue and they ask his wife where he went and she told them just like that ?

got to that bit and was like, nah, sleep sounds like a much better deal..
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:50 pm night before last

Beyond Paradise

yet again produces another hour of watchable telly..

excellent cast imvho...

Zahra Ahmadi - I'm in love..
:newthumb:

I only said during the last Episode, Lucky 'Humphrey', gets to live with 'Martha' and work with 'Esther'...not sure I should have said it to Her OFTness but there you go :grin:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

OFT wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:20 pm :newthumb:

I only said during the last Episode, Lucky 'Humphrey', gets to live with 'Martha' and work with 'Esther'...not sure I should have said it to Her OFTness but there you go
:crylol: :crylol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:47 am didn't finish the entire thing in one go.

struggling to keep up with as you say, a pile of doggy poo.

my memory might not be great but I thought I remembered the tv series being brilliant especially with "Alice" wasn't it ? in there...she was great.

this one ?

all of the wonder and intrigue and they ask his wife where he went and she told them just like that ?

got to that bit and was like, nah, sleep sounds like a much better deal..
Pretty sure it was Alice in Luther :newthumb:

Just so many huge plot holes! The prison fight, then break, (didn''t spend much on special effects did they...) Luther walking around London when his case was all over the press not so long ago, the rubbish fight scenes, f*** me my 80 year old neighbour would have done better, just a rubbish film, pretty much from start to finish. The last 10 minutes though :lol: :lol:
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Endeavour

Brilliant but if someone can please explain what the 'Russian Roulette' churchyard scene and gunshot was all about it would be much appreciated
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

“Martini?”

“No”

:)

The rest of it…deary me. :oops:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:47 am my memory might not be great but I thought I remembered the tv series being brilliant especially with "Alice" wasn't it ? in there...she was great.
I'm the opposite... couldn't stand her and her annoying pout - and the series just started getting silly with her introduction. I might actually give the film a go now I know she's not in it.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I have been struggling with finding content to get into recently so I thought I'd try ITVX to find some less demanding viewing. I normally detest anything aired on ITV but thought I'd explore what they have.

Cleaning Up (2019) - Sheridan Smith plays a cleaner who spies on traders who have insider trading intel. Not a realistic show but an easy watch at only 6 episodes.

I scrolled through their film sections and plumped for 13 Asssasins directed by Takashi Mike who is quite a big deal apparently. Audition is the only film of his I have seen. But I love these 7 Samurai, Magnificent 7 type films. A ragtag group coming together to fight a large enemy against the odds.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

Hostiles on Netflix. I’m always game for a western and had missed this back in 2017 for whatever reason. Thought it was fault decent.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I finished Unforgotten tonight.

No spoilers, but IMO it was noticeably the worst series so far.

Will definitely be watching the next one though!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

OFT wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:42 pm Endeavour

Brilliant but if someone can please explain what the 'Russian Roulette' churchyard scene and gunshot was all about it would be much appreciated
Spoiler Alert

My interpretation was that Morse, having seen the love of his life get married and discovered the man who he would have followed to hell,
was capable of killing someone, had reached a tipping point and had considered suicide which he obviously didn’t pursue.

As to the final episode of Endeavour , I was blown away. As finales go, I honestly don’t think it could have been done any better.
The dream sequence at the wedding of Miss Thursday and oafish Jim Strange was inspired as Endeavour finally said what the audience has been willing him to all these years.
The parting of the ways between Morse and his mentor Fred in such a way as to shed some light as to why Fred was never mentioned in any future Morse storylines, unlike Jim Strange and Max, was so well put together.
I have to admit it was all rather emotional and a tear or two was shed none more so than the final moments as Endeavour’s Jaguar was passed by another and a fleeting glance in the rear view mirror. Beautiful

I’m going to miss Endeavour, Fred, Win, Joan, Bright, Max and even Jim Strange. Quite possibly my favourite ever British TV drama.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:14 pm Spoiler Alert

My interpretation was that Morse, having seen the love of his life get married and discovered the man who he would have followed to hell,
was capable of killing someone, had reached a tipping point and had considered suicide which he obviously didn’t pursue.

As to the final episode of Endeavour , I was blown away. As finales go, I honestly don’t think it could have been done any better.
The dream sequence at the wedding of Miss Thursday and oafish Jim Strange was inspired as Endeavour finally said what the audience has been willing him to all these years.
The parting of the ways between Morse and his mentor Fred in such a way as to shed some light as to why Fred was never mentioned in any future Morse storylines, unlike Jim Strange and Max, was so well put together.
I have to admit it was all rather emotional and a tear or two was shed none more so than the final moments as Endeavour’s Jaguar was passed by another and a fleeting glance in the rear view mirror. Beautiful

I’m going to miss Endeavour, Fred, Win, Joan, Bright, Max and even Jim Strange. Quite possibly my favourite ever British TV drama.
Another one blown away with soggy eyes.

That last scene was genuinely astonishing - a perfect, thing of beauty. To end* 35 years of wonderful television with the best scene of those 35 years didn't seem possible. I didn't think the last scene of The Sopranos could be bettered but without a word being spoken last night, it was. And all with a fantastic and obviously knowing reference to the first Endeavour episode and a tribute to two wonderful actors. Perfect writing doesn't begin t cover it.

Spoilers.

Shaun Evans doesn't get as many plaudits as he warrants - his range is excellent - he delicately portrayed all of the nuances of an a complex, deep character to a tee (is that how you spell it)?. Roger Allam too - the scene where Morse handed him the bag was gut wrenching. His face at that moment where he knew that Morse had helped him greatly but also transcended him was incredible.

Some things were off-key for me. The latin writing murderer was OTT. If this had been a BBC programme the BBC thread on NUMB would have lit up. It was too much of a stretch that big Pete not only wasn't only buried at Blenheim Vale but alive and well until he turned up a Hells Angel only to be killed by Thursday. Bit too much for all of that. Very convenient too that the Hells Angels turned up just in time to kill Morse's would be killer.

Minor quibbles though as overall as always I loved it. The dream-kiss scene - with the realisation that it wasn't really happening only dawning as you saw the guests around them oblivious, not aghast as they would have been had it really been happening. Our heart strings were constantly plucked. But they were always going to be weren't they?

The cleverest, most brilliant piece of writing was the transition of Endeavour to Morse. How was the writer going to show how Endeavour had taken the path to being Morse. And we saw him - left on his own. His heart broken - the love of his life gone, without her ever knowing it. This was an explanation to the loneliness, poignancy and melancholy that we saw in John Thaw's portrayal. The wedding accelerated a journey Morse had already been on to that unfulfilled character of the 80s and 90s. And as CRS said a perfect explanation of why Thaw's Morse never uttered the name of his mentor and ring to his yang.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

finished Luther The Fallen Sun

'twas truly dreadful. no redeeming qualities imvho.

waste of 2 hours.........

:swear:

won't bother to watch that again, in fact it's in the bin.. well it was until I emptied the bin...
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Operation Mincemeat - 2021 - Colin Firth- Bang average film made from a superb story. If you have read any of the historical books on this, you'll find the screenwriters had added stuff that is largely superfluous and unecessary.

The basic plot is that to convince Hitler that the allies would be landing in Greece instead of Scicily, a secret department get hold of a dead body, plant false war related papers and othe fictional personal stuff and set it adrift on the southern coast of Spain. They hoped that the Spanish police would eventually get the body and would relay the information to the Nazi's and Hitler would be convinced that Greece was the allies target. Spolier alert: It worked.

This could have been a cracking tight film but it was padded out with twaddle such as unbelieveable romances, rival love interests, rubbish about the way the Spanish dealt with the body and a total uneeded scene of a top level british male Naval commander giving a male foreign spy a hand job in a park. I kid you not!

Too long, to much flaunting of the facts and to much padding. 5/10