What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by smuts »

WCpete wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:01 pm Mando S3 E4. I guess I'm the only person watching this now. More silliness, but more fun this week. Lots of flying about and shooting at things and a redemption/apology of sorts to JJ Binx actor.
The Jedi stuff was entertaining, the monster of the week plot was a bit seen it all before though.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Laid up with Covid over the weekend I did the whole series of Gold, with fairly low expectations.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, with some great performances.

Am now 4 episodes into the new series of Unforgotten and realy enjoing this too
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Great Expectations on BBC 1 - been some decades since I last read the book, but it started very well and looking forward to the series.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:16 am Great Expectations on BBC 1 - been some decades since I last read the book, but it started very well and looking forward to the series.
We watched Grace on ITV and it was OK but the scenes at the end were,IMO, very poor, when it finished we then realised we'd missed Great Expectations, which made it worse, thank Gawd for iplayer, will catch up this week
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

24 Hour Party People.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

We're halfway through season two of The Flight Attendant which is far from the worst "mrs.caress pick" I've ever seen but I can't say I'm all that riveted either. First season was better. Kaley Cuoco is still essentially playing Penny (The Big Bang Theory), just in more of a dark comedy thriller setting.

I'm also halfway through a second viewing of season one of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I liked it a lot when I first saw it but this just cements my belief that SNW is, by some margin, the best Star Trek show from this "new" crop (Discovery, Picard, Prodigy and even the thoroughly entertaining Lower Decks). Hit it!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Great Expectations on BBC1

My favourite book, adapted for TV or Cinema for the gazillionth time. My all time favourite version being David Lean’s film adaptation with John Mills & Alec Guinness. So what could be done differently I asked myself, we’ll let the Peaky Blinders team have a go and see. First episode last night with some subtle tweaks to storyline along the way but wonderfully atmospheric and a great turn from Johnny Harris as Magwich. A very promising start.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm 3 episodes into Severance.

It's interesting but, if I'm honest, I was expecting more based on the rave reviews in here. Unless of course it gets better after the 3rd episode...
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:55 pm I'm 3 episodes into Severance.

It's interesting but, if I'm honest, I was expecting more based on the rave reviews in here. Unless of course it gets better after the 3rd episode...
I think I felt the same and thought it was excellent by the end.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:55 pm I'm 3 episodes into Severance.

I think that I liked it a little more every episode; it's the acting across the series that made the show for me.

There were several excellent characters, but all acted really well.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

It’s the definition of slow burn TV.

Stick with it, it’ll pull you in by the end.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Took in ' Blue Lights ' [ BBC One ] last night - watched 3 episodes -

Follows 4 rookie cops during their probationary period on the mean streets of Belfast and while I've very much enjoyed each episode thus far I am wondering how realistic or relevant this new series is as it has the feel of The Troubles about it - John Lynch plays Drug Lord , James McIntyre with obvious past connections to the IRA -

Richard Dormer is his usual competent self playing affable PC Gerry Cliff an old school cop , Sian Brooke as ex Social Worker now Rookie Policewoman - Jonathan Harden as beleagered Inspector Jonty Johnson torn between looking after his officers while dealing with sinister Special Branch type characters .

If you enjoyed Liverpool-set ' The Responder ' you'll enjoy ' Blue Lights ' . 8.5/10
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I caught the first episode last night TOMOS, thought it started very well and have set to record, or I may dip onto the iplayer as all episodes are on there.

As for reality, it's TV, so I am sure they are making it for the viewer. I would say though, when I started going to Belfast regularly and I turned the local news on, there was a lot going on associated with the "troubles" that we do not get to see on the mainland news.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Extremely late to the party on this one, but watched the first 3 episodes ( series 1) of Succession last night.

Not difficult to see why this gem has such rave reviews. The characters are, in the main, completely odious.

Marvellous television.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:36 am Unforgotten

first 2 episodes..very very good so far..
My little girl was in episode 5 .... which aired last night.

Despite the change in lead character, think this series has been good. Well written.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 am Extremely late to the party on this one, but watched the first 3 episodes ( series 1) of Succession last night.

Not difficult to see why this gem has such rave reviews. The characters are, in the main, completely odious.

Marvellous television.
Watched E1 of S4 last night - slow burn of an episode but still just the best.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Boston Strangler. Not bad, not amazingly gripping, but a nicely executed 60s period drama, with decent attention to detail.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 am I caught the first episode last night TOMOS, thought it started very well , or I may dip onto the iplayer as all episodes are on there.
Likewise, we were 'wobbling' for the first few minutes but soon got on board. Very promising. Resisted the urge to watch another but not sure that will last.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Finally started series 3 of Brassic last night. Ended up watching 4 episodes. Brilliant stuff.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 am I caught the first episode last night TOMOS, thought it started very well and have set to record, or I may dip onto the iplayer as all episodes are on there.

As for reality, it's TV, so I am sure they are making it for the viewer. I would say though, when I started going to Belfast regularly and I turned the local news on, there was a lot going on associated with the "troubles" that we do not get to see on the mainland news.
Thanks for that , Clacks , interesting . :newthumb:

I've seen the occasional snippet during the past year or so - Newtonabbey - cars set on fire , the shooting of that Policeman recently so yeah it could be true to life or an exaggerated version of .