What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Amazon Prime Clackers
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Thanks Bud, will give it a go, like some Gyllennhaal in my life :thup:
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Last week's Inside No. 9.

One of the more bizarre episodes, and the only one I can remember with not even the briefest cameo by either Pemberton or Shearsmith.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:57 pm Planned on watching the latest episode of "Inside No. 9" on BBC, but it wasn't on - instead it was replaced with a Lee Mack game show called "3 by 3".

All I can say is it wasn't a disappointment. Recommend you all give it a go ...
Lol I convinced the missus I'd recorded the wrong thing until she was about to go to bed and I had to come clean :)
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

The Menu. Movie we'd never heard of before. Just said screw it and rented it. Ralph Fiennes is in it, so at least you know he'll be entertaining. And he was. Good throw away dark comedy. Good for light entertainment night. It's campy right off the bat, and as the plot unfolds and reveals that it intends on being very silly, it get s very silly. But that was its point, and I enjoyed that it became ridiculous. And it was good for some nasty jump scares.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Assault of Precinct 13 (1976 John Carpenter) - saw it again last night and loved it. It's almost perfect. A rivitng watch.

Hell under the sea: Series 2: Eps 1,2 and 3.[/b If you love submarines this is for you. A dramametary re-enatctment of the more noteable submariners. Like the one who run out of torpedos and went on a killing spree down the Japanese east coast firing rockets (yes he had a rocket launcher on a sub), shells and even used a "scupper" charge to blow up a Japanese train! He returned home totally empty of offencive options!

How the Universe works - How will the solar system end? - there is no good option here. It's not good - just be glad its a long, long time away.
Chicken Run Supreme

WHU Independent wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:04 pm Assault of Precinct 13 (1976 John Carpenter) - saw it again last night and loved it. It's almost perfect. A rivitng watch.
:thup:

Carpenter’s finest movie and is a permanent fixture in my all time top ten movies.
The ice cream van scene still sends a chill down my spine every time I watch it and the synth soundtrack from JC himself is outstanding. It is a bone fide classic that I never tire of watching.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:09 pm so glad you are liking it mate...

a bit under the radar imvho

Walter Goggins is brilliant in everything he's done. and been in some fantastic series.

Raylan is a brilliant character.

"can you really draw that gun THAT fast ?" "why not try me and find out."

Raylan's a good looking lad , charming , popular with the ladies , reminds me a lot of myself 'cept I don't wear a great big hat . :grin:

Goggins was in Django Unchained and the other Tarantino film , The Hateful Eight - those teeth of his are instantly recognisable , great character actor .

Just started Series 2 .

Tonight I watched ' Crime ' - Detective series set in Edinburgh starring Dougray Scott .

Now normally I'm not a huge fan of Dougray Scott's work , not sure why , I mean he's an ok actor but there's something about him I haven't taken to but I think he does alright in this series written by Irvine Welsh - a driven detective hunting a serial killer of young girls .

It's VERY GOOD .
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 am
Tonight I watched ' Crime ' - Detective series set in Edinburgh starring Dougray Scott .

Now normally I'm not a huge fan of Dougray Scott's work , not sure why , I mean he's an ok actor but there's something about him I haven't taken to but I think he does alright in this series written by Irvine Welsh - a driven detective hunting a serial killer of young girls .

It's VERY GOOD .
Watched the first 2 episodes last night, enjoyed it except that at times I found their Scottish accents hard to decipher so I lost some dialogue.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Started the Pepsi Netflix thing, seems a bit drawn out at times but is interesting, four episodes at 35 minutes each is nearly 2 and a half hours, overkill
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1239 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:57 pm Planned on watching the latest episode of "Inside No. 9" on BBC, but it wasn't on - instead it was replaced with a Lee Mack game show called "3 by 3".

All I can say is it wasn't a disappointment. Recommend you all give it a go ...
Intrigued by the premise (I was aware it was a fake-out, I was simply interested to see it) I watched this last night and then, since I've never previously seen a single episode of Inside No.9, I went back and binged the entire first series. Good stuff.

I think I've swerved it this long because, although I love macabre stories and dark comedy and I'd loved what they'd done on The League of Gentlemen, I wasn't massively taken with Psychoville. I wasn't keen on the LoG movie or the live show either. So I was probably a bit Pemberton/Shearsmithed out by the time Inside No.9 turned up. Then, as the plaudits rolled in, it became something I kept meaning to get around to without ever actually getting around to it.

Still, I've started now. Series 2 tonight.

(The 3 by 3 episode which prompted this binge was imho interestingly presented and contained a potentially blistering premise and twist but tbh didn't quite stick the landing for me It was good, though)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:40 pm Amazon Prime Clackers
It's rent/buy on mine :furrow: Give these guys and others way too much already for TV, so will wait until it's on general release.

So watched a documentary on BBC 2 regarding "The Troubles" - really interesting watch with interviews from both sides.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am
So watched a documentary on BBC 2 regarding "The Troubles" - really interesting watch with interviews from both sides.
Me too Clackers - "Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland".

Have only seen the first two episodes so far, but it's tragic and brilliant at the same time.

Have to say though I've had to use the rewind button a lot - some of the accents are impenetrable!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:28 pm Me too Clackers - "Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland".

Have only seen the first two episodes so far, but it's tragic and brilliant at the same time.

Have to say though I've had to use the rewind button a lot - some of the accents are impenetrable!
That be it :thup:

It is tragic and brilliant, well worth a watch isn't it, only one episode in but will certainly watch them all as saw it was on iplayer.

ha ha on accent, I've spent over the years quite a bit of time now with our Irish friends, so I am ok "ish".

The Murals are really something to see over there and I believe gives you a very small window into their lives.
Chicken Run Supreme

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am
Got this to watch on SkyQ, sounds as good as I hoped it would be 👍
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

on TOMoS recommendation The Covenant

not bad, but nothing much that hasn't been done before but of course there's a limit to what can and can't be done...(or imagined)

shades of The Lone Survivor during their escape and you have to suspend belief beyond belief for some of the situations..

but then again, a good tale well told, good acting and maybe the saddest part of all is the end caption. no spoilers but

I "think" it said the Americans didn't follow up on their promise to give Visas to those interpreters who helped the army.

and it finished with

300 interpreters have been killed by the Taliban for their aid to the Americans and thousands more are in hiding.

an AWFUL end to the mess that was Afghanistan.

:swear:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:41 am Watched the first 2 episodes last night, enjoyed it except that at times I found their Scottish accents hard to decipher so I lost some dialogue.
We had a lad from Edinburgh working with us on the ferry - we called him Ken [ not to his face , ken ? ] - you could understand every third word I'd say .

Disappointed that the nice brother from Guilt [ Jamie Sives ] is a crazed Detective in ' Crime ' . I preferred him nice though he is funny in Crime I must say especially when he gives the dodgy lawyer the run around in the station and trying to convince his wife to stay married to him . :grin:

After 35 years of living up here you get to understand most of the lingo .

Put the subtitles on , ken ? :grin:
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Lol well we watched 3 more episodes last night and it seemed easier to understand but that may just be us getting used to the accents. Jamie Sives remained unintelligible for the most part though :crylol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:28 pm Me too Clackers - "Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland".

Watched a couple more last night, one of the best documentaries I have seen on "The Troubles". It appears to an untrained eye like mine very balanced to both sides.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Inside Man on Netflix - Originally on the BBC last year I believe.

Really enjoying it so far, what a cast.