What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The Long Good Friday - now I have not watched this in Donkeys, and if asked this film would usually be in my top ten great films. I struggled with the film last night, for long parts, the score wound me up, some wooden acting, so dated, then about 2/3rd of the way through I fell back in love with it all over again, and then that end of the camera just staying on Bob Hoskin's face, a brilliant ending of realisation.

I had forgotten how many faces were in that film!!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Watched E1 of Annika [ Nicola Walker ] some time last year or whenever it first appeared on our screens and was so annoyed by its style I didn't watch any further episodes -

Anyway , this week I gave it another go and found I'm enjoying it immensely - the asides which annoyed me at first I'm now finding very amusing - very decent and at times funny police drama - excellent - 8.5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13643704/
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am Watched E1 of Annika [ Nicola Walker ] some time last year or whenever it first appeared on our screens and was so annoyed by its style I didn't watch any further episodes -

Anyway , this week I gave it another go and found I'm enjoying it immensely - the asides which annoyed me at first I'm now finding very amusing - very decent and at times funny police drama - excellent - 8.5/10

Similar with us TOMoS, gave it a glance and thought ,,nah but seeing Ep2 was on decided to watch Ep1 'properly' and like you found it very watchable, 'quirky' TV.

Also been watching BBC Steeltown Murders Dramatisation of the real story of the murder of girls in wales in 1973 eventually solved 30 years later . Decent enough although shows using the whole 'two time periods' thing continues to test my old head if not completely 'tuned in'
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:05 am Finished it over the weekend. Agreed, the best documentary I have ever seen regarding "The Troubles". To an untrained eye very equal where both sides got to put their story across, one thing for sure, there were no winners.
Over 3,500 deaths, and for what?

Some absolute tragic stories on there.

IMO, these sorts of documentaries should be shown in schools all over the UK and Ireland.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am Watched E1 of Annika [ Nicola Walker ] some time last year or whenever it first appeared on our screens and was so annoyed by its style I didn't watch any further episodes -

We watched it a while ago and while I found it ok I thought they spent too much time focusing on the characters and their lives while the actual 'police drama' was comparatively weak.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Loch

just started this after having it a while to see.

decent enough 1st episode. not 100% sure if it's going to go on this way (upward) or meander around and go nowhere.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:25 am The Long Good Friday - now I have not watched this in Donkeys, and if asked this film would usually be in my top ten great films. I struggled with the film last night, for long parts, the score wound me up, some wooden acting, so dated, then about 2/3rd of the way through I fell back in love with it all over again, and then that end of the camera just staying on Bob Hoskin's face, a brilliant ending of realisation.

I had forgotten how many faces were in that film!!
A film that is definitely of its time but for me, is still right up there with the best of British movies.
From the moment Harold Shand struts into Heathrow arrivals to that final car ride out of The Savoy, Bob Hoskins is mesmerising. It’s the role of his life and that final scene is one of my all time favourite movie moments and it’s all in Hoskins’ eyes and face.
Just thinking about it makes me want to watch it again.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Halfway through Seven Seconds on Netflix. Really good so far.
Last edited by Korea Hammer on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

OFT wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 am

Also been watching BBC Steeltown Murders Dramatisation of the real story of the murder of girls in wales in 1973 eventually solved 30 years later . Decent enough although shows using the whole 'two time periods' thing continues to test my old head if not completely 'tuned in'

Was going to watch it , OFT but my wife refuses to watch any drama [ that involves murder ] based on real events - finds it all too sad so it's off the menu I'm afraid .

For fans of Foreign Drama we started watching another Walter Presents effort , this time a French language murder mystery/conspiracy called ' I Killed My Husband ' or ' J'ai tue mon mari ' -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15823312/

Not the best , not the worst I've seen , bit slow to get going until the second episode but Erika Sainte is very easy on the eye so might be worth your time - only finished E2 so can't give a proper opinion as of yet .
Chicken Run Supreme

Without Sin

Apparently this has been on ITVX since December 2022 but was shown on ITV1 two weeks ago and I series recorded it.
Fantastic TV with Vicki McClure and Johnny Harris as two lead characters and as you would expect from them, the performances are top drawer.
McClure’s character’s daughter was murdered and a couple of years down the line, the convicted murderer (Harris), reaches out to her and claims his innocence.
Four parts fairly rattle through and it is well paced with twists and turns throughout. It’s been a good year so far for Johnny Harris, who rarely disappoints, with this role and also his excellent Magwitch in the recent version of Great Expectations
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Korea Hammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 pm Halfway through Seven Seconds on Netflix. Really good so far.
Let us know what you think of the other three and half seconds, won't you?
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant on Amazon Prime. :newthumb:
Enjoyed it, quite tense.
Very good.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

BBC2 Gallow's Pole. Saving episode 3 (last?) for tomorrow. Really liking it, the 'natural' dialogue works very well rather than deliberately scripting a play strictly confined to using someone's version of 18th Century language, kind of showing people as people. Brings history to life at times. Modern music involved in both scenes and the intro/outro, but not overdone methinks. Combined with (real?) contemporary folk singing. Bit of mysticism with the 'Stag Men' too.

(wondering if they'll work the Led Zeppelin cover into it at some stage)
Chicken Run Supreme

vietnammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:46 pm BBC2 Gallow's Pole.
On my “to view” list. Looks right up my strasse
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:06 pm The Loch

just started this after having it a while to see.

decent enough 1st episode. not 100% sure if it's going to go on this way (upward) or meander around and go nowhere.
ep 02, it HAS started to meander unfortunately. is it me but now do all these crime series, even including the Scandinavian ones, have surly teenager sons/daughters/brothers/sisters who act like the horror film teens and ignore ALL dangerous situations, and ANY advice that their parents give them ? it runs into more about them than the story sadly.

not sure if I'll finish it, might give it one more episode.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

First episode of High Desert, on Apple TV

Set in California, starring Patricia Arquette as some kind of recovering addict who falls into working with a PI. A comedy, of sorts.

First episode doing that lay the groundwork, introduce the characters, thing, but watchable and interesting enough to carry on with.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:46 pm BBC2 Gallow's Pole.
Oh, cool, I didn't know this existed :thup:

The book was good:

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Watched 'Evil Dead Rise'.

My kind of film. Supposedly a sequel rather than a reboot although it doesn't have any of the humour of parts 2 and 3 (and the TV series). Bruce Campbell doesn't appear as he's stated he's now retired from playing the character of Ash. He was however, along with Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert, involved with the film as part of the production team. Unlike all previous films, this one doesn't involve a cabin in the woods - rather an apartment in the city. As expected, there's blood and gore galore, and plenty of practical effects over CGI. I think it all works quite well, and there are a few nods to the original films - one in particular that involves an eyeball (if you've seen Evil Dead 2 then you'll know what I mean!). Everything starts with the old Book of the Dead turning up again (although if it is supposed to be a sequel then there's a bit of a continuity error there) and a passage inadvertently being read out again. The whole film is based around a single family in an apartment, and obviously that's another layer of horror when it's members of your own family trying to kill you. Bruce Campbell hinted in a recent interview that they might try and make these Evil Dead films a little more regularly now so I look forward to the next installment. The film was directed by Lee Cronin, who doesn't really have a lot to his name - just a couple of TV episodes, one film that wasn't particularly well reviewed, and a few shorts. I thought he did well with this one though. I would like to see Sam Raimi get back into the directors chair for a film though, and maybe even involved in the writing. I've really liked most of the films he's directed and he doesn't do it enough. The last horror film that he both wrote and directed was 'Drag Me to Hell' - a film that actually felt more like an original Evil Dead film than the two recent reboots - even though it wasn't.

Better to go in without watching the trailer as it shows a bit too much.

Seems to have a lot of bad reviews on imdb but that doesn't surprise me. They're rarely happy on there unless they're watching an metaphor laden arthouse film that has no ending and ultimately makes no sense.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Finished watching FUBAR starring Arnie. Quite enjoyed it overall and it seemed to set up for another series. If you enjoyed Arnies films from the 80's like True Lies, Twins and Kindergarten Cop then you should enjoy this TV series.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The Gryphon is a new release on Prime. It's a German fantasy show. Reminds me a bit of another 80s set show with teens, Stranger Things and I as read, a bit like another German show, Dark, which I haven't seen. I was surprised, not expecting it to be any good but binged it in two sittings. 6 x 1hr shows so quite easy to digest.