What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 pm This is what I’ll be ch-checking out next.
Just looked it up on IMDb - just as I expected, a load of bad reviews and 3/10 ratings. I'm sure nothing gets good ratings on there anymore unless its some arty farty load of old b*llocks or directed by in in vogue director.

If you like those old-school tales from the crypt type anthologies, you'll like it. Very nicely filmed - the stories are very straight forward and predictable, but they always were in these type of things. Personally I've found it good viewing - just take it for what it is. Don't expect them to be classic Del Toro - he created the series and is executive producer, but had nothing to do with the writing or directing of the episodes. Each one has a different director. For example episode 1 is directed by Guillermo Navarro, cinematographer of Pans Labyrinth, Cronos, and Pacific Rim. Episode 2 is directed by Vincenzo Natali, director of Cube, Splice, and In the Tall Grass. And so on... the last episode which I haven't seen yet is directed by Jennifer Kent, director of The Babadook. Don't expect the episodes to resemble the respective directors usual work though. There's a theme here. The episodes are old-fashioned, old school horror tales. Just think Tales from The Crypt but with a lot more polish and massively upgraded visuals, and you'll know what to expect.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

^^^^^

The 70's looking one with the Sepia style camera has been my favourite. Peter Weller was excellent imo.

The music was the b*llocks too.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Grateful for the SAS reviews, I swerved it as my old man was 8th Army (LRDG) and had a tough time. Can't stand PB
(or P***y Brummies, as it's known round here) so perhaps it was a good decision.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SAS Rogue Heroes - not exceptional telly, but still decent and very watchable. They set up a second series so presumably there will be one - if so, count me in. And I loved the sound-track too - it caught the spirit of those pioneers, or at least how I imagine that spirit to be.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:12 pm ^^^^^

The 70's looking one with the Sepia style camera has been my favourite. Peter Weller was excellent imo.

That's tonight's episode so shhhhh
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Episodes with Matt Leblanc.

Starts off well, draws you in with some witty dialogue and interesting characters. And inevitably, like many American comedies do, gets dragged down by some cookie-cutter drama storylines (see Ted Lasso) where what started out as a comedy with a smattering of drama, now becomes the reverse.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:12 pm ^^^^^

Mine too. Wonderful camera work, superb visuals...almost perfection.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The English

not bad but like most series I have to put a HUGE jump of faith into the plot lines.

as a slight aside, before I ask a question or two, he told her early doors, take what you need not what you want.

she's got a small case, and he nothing that I can see.

WHERE DOES HER 10 WARDROBE CHANGE OF CLOTHES COME FROM THEN ?

:winker:

slight spoiler

I can't believe that both he and her are inextricably linked via the massacre and purely coincidentally they meet up on the way, both unknown to each other and their stories are completely intertwined.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 619 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

There was a realistic docu about the SAS story not long ago wasn't there? Course this series is filed strictly under 'entertainment'. The music gets on me tits, apart from the 40's stuff.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:23 pm The English

(on English)
WHERE DOES HER 10 WARDROBE CHANGE OF CLOTHES COME FROM THEN ?
...and it's noticeable that she suffers a (brief) crisis of conscience each time she kills, along with each orphan situation being quickly disposed from the script.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

simon hammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:10 pm Mine too. Wonderful camera work, superb visuals...almost perfection.
I see it was directed by Panos Cosmatos, who also directed Mandy. That was one weird film.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

I'm an effin celebrity effin eff off and effin die! It's causing marital trouble. With everything that's going on in the world she's obsessed with this b*llocks. Before I enter the room I'm getting Oooh do you what so-and- so said (WHO???). This is causing me to f*** off upstairs and reduce our 'quality time' together.
Pile of self-serving crap. I was mildly interested when :arry: was on, but sod it now.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 pm With everything that's going on in the world she's obsessed with this b*llocks.
Which is a good reason to watch it IMO. It's pretty harmless escapism.

Matt Hancock eating goats cock.....yeah, why not.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Geoff Hurst: The First and Only

Produced by Matt Lorenzo and featuring contributions from a who’s who of football including a lot of West Ham connections, this is a really good watch.
Such a humble human being and I had no idea that when his football career ended after a brief spell with WBA, he thought nothing of signing on the dole. Hurst is fro the generation of footballers who usually followed the tried and tested route into taxi driver or pub landlord once retirement from the game arrived.
£1000 win bonus was paid to the England players that won the World Cup while the defeated West Germans picked up £10,000 each.
According to football writer Paul Hayward, “Geoff Hurst has been living in his own museum for 55 years.”
More tragedy in his life than I was aware of and at times Hurst becomes emotional when talking of his family tragedies and also as he laments the passing of most of his team mates from that wonderful July day in ‘66.
A fascinating and highly recommended documentary.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 pm I'm an effin celebrity effin eff off and effin die! It's causing marital trouble. With everything that's going on in the world she's obsessed with this b*llocks. Before I enter the room I'm getting Oooh do you what so-and- so said (WHO???). This is causing me to **** off upstairs and reduce our 'quality time' together.
Pile of self-serving crap. I was mildly interested when :arry: was on, but sod it now.
Fortunately my missus hates that crap as much as I do (but I have to suffer the soaps)
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 pm I'm an effin celebrity effin eff off and effin die! It's causing marital trouble. With everything that's going on in the world she's obsessed with this b*llocks. Before I enter the room I'm getting Oooh do you what so-and- so said (WHO???). This is causing me to **** off upstairs and reduce our 'quality time' together.
Every time I go up to bed now, she’s in bed watching it. I sigh loudly and put my Airpods in!!
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

We have watched it from time to time, Her OFTness was keener than I (honest!) but so far we've managed to swerve it this time, aided by a couple of series filmed elsewhere(Wales?) apart from the odd ten minutes here and there. I'd quite like to pick Ant or Dec(the smallest one) up and use him as a weapon to beat the other one into a coma but that's just me I suppose :arry:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

OFT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:03 am I'd quite like to pick Ant or Dec(the smallest one) up and use him as a weapon to beat the other one into a coma but that's just me I suppose :arry:
No OFT, it isn’t just you. Cannot abide the Geordie Jeremy Hunts.
Never off the tv, as soon as one series ends, another starts.
I don’t watch anything they’re in, which is a fair chunk of ITV’s Saturday schedules 😁
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Finished watching Bloodlands starring James Nesbitt that we recorded a month ago. Really enjoyed it and thought it was stronger than the first series.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The Weird Al Yankovic movie with Daniel Radcliffe. Gloriously silly.