What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by OFT »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 pm 'Four Lives' - Steven Merchant plays a gay serial killer bus driver in Barking (Hi DL ) based on a true story on BBC1 - was pretty good :newthumb:
Put 'The Tourist' on the backburner to watch this. Merchant is truly creepy in the lead role, but the police??? What were they playing at??

which leads me to:-

C4 24 Hours in Police Custody

JeebusHcripes. Dreadful
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The Tourist episodes 1&2, loving it so far

Four Lives episodes 1&2. Sheridan Smith, as always, delivering a great performance and Stephen Merchant suitably creepy, especially without the syrup.
But as others have said WTF were the Met up to? Keystone Cops meets Carry on Constable
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:11 pm Four Lives episodes 1&2. Sheridan Smith, as always, delivering a great performance and Stephen Merchant suitably creepy, especially without the syrup.
But as others have said WTF were the Met up to? Keystone Cops meets Carry on Constable
Didn't see it but now watching, 'How Police Missed the Grindr Killer' on BBC3.
Shocking how it was investigated.
Not enough police or because the victims were gay?
It's not like it was that long ago, either.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:59 am Anne

Parts 1 & 2 on ITV

Story of Anne Williams and her fight for justice and to find the truth about what happened to her son Kevin at the Hillsborough disaster.

Truly awful some of the crap that came the way of the families. :thdn:
Barely saw any of them. The little I did see was heartbreaking.
1) It should never have happened. There had been previous incidents that hadn't been taken on board.
2) And then the cover up...
Could have been any football fan there that day. Any one of us.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Mandy

15 Minute chunks of delightfully silly comedy on BBC2.

I think over the years BBC2 has been my favourite channel for understated comedy, with the likes of The Office, The Detectorists and This Country. Mandy is more surreal than those, but for me just as good.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Toast of Tinseltown.

Absolutely marvellous stuff, and while some of the new characters didn't quite hit the mark, Matt Berry is superb as the irrepressible, angry Toast.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Samba wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 pm Didn't see it but now watching, 'How Police Missed the Grindr Killer' on BBC3.
Shocking how it was investigated.
Not enough police or because the victims were gay?
It's not like it was that long ago, either.
Watched this after having seen the final episode of Four Lives last night.

Truly shocking.
Sometimes when you watch a dramatisation of true events you wonder how much ‘artistic license’ has been used. Having seen the documentary and the drama, it appears that very little was applied and what was depicted over three episodes was very factual and that just made it all the more shocking that the Met had missed so many clear signs of foul play. That it was the victims families that did more investigating than the Met, speaks volumes.
Also, having seen the documentary, the casting on Four Lives was absolutely spot on.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 am Watched this after having seen the final episode of Four Lives last night.

Truly shocking.
Sometimes when you watch a dramatisation of true events you wonder how much ‘artistic license’ has been used. Having seen the documentary and the drama, it appears that very little was applied and what was depicted over three episodes was very factual and that just made it all the more shocking that the Met had missed so many clear signs of foul play. That it was the victims families that did more investigating than the Met, speaks volumes.
Also, having seen the documentary, the casting on Four Lives was absolutely spot on.
:newthumb:
We did the same.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Last part of "Anne". Heartbreaking, and at the same time made me very angry.

Can't help feeling some incompetent and negligent people got away scot free when they should have been locked up for a long time. The cover up and lies told were horrendous.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Re. Four Lives: I was also wondering if there was dramatic licence at play. Watched in incredulity as red flag after red flag was ignored and basic procedures like fingerprinting and DNA were not carried out.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Three more episodes of Succession (season 1 episode 3-5), it is clearly well made and very slick but I don't think it is for me. I have no attachment with the story and just don't care about them or it. My tastes is not very hibrow, I'll go back to my fantasy/sci-fi stuff (Wheel of time next)
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

simon hammer wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 am Toast of Tinseltown.

Absolutely marvellous stuff, and while some of the new characters didn't quite hit the mark, Matt Berry is superb as the irrepressible, angry Toast.
I have this recorded. I loved Toast Of London. I'm looking forward to seeing Ray bloody Purchase and, 'Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango' again.
Its probably an acquired taste but I think its genius.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Robbie wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:29 pm I have this recorded. I loved Toast Of London. I'm looking forward to seeing Ray bloody Purchase and, 'Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango' again.
Its probably an acquired taste but I think its genius.
I took my children on a day trip to London last summer. As we exited the tube station, someone walked past and uttered "can you hear me" into their mobile...

...I could not resist, and as the words "yes I can hear you Clem Fandango" escaped my eager lips, my children could not stop laughing!

Start of a great day that was.

I too think Toast is genius btw.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Got Toast to watch next up. :thup:
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:57 am Last part of "Anne". Heartbreaking, and at the same time made me very angry.

Can't help feeling some incompetent and negligent people got away scot free when they should have been locked up for a long time. The cover up and lies told were horrendous.
Great drama, plus "The Real Anne" documentary tonight. Never buy The Sun, tell your mum to do the same.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

The final episode of Blake's 7, in which...

40 YEAR OLD SPOILER ALERT...

everyone dies, including the titular Blake who, apart from a brief cameo at the end of series 3 has been AWOL since series 2.

Series 4 was a bit of a struggle to get through, but the ending was great.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

The Apprentice. Same old deluded, obnoxious tossers trying their best to rim Suralan Lord Sugarness. Anyone who runs a successful business isn't going on it, so we get the 'entrepreneurs' who have conned people into investing in their pyramid scheme.

Ran its course long ago but it's a bit of mindless entertainment and I enjoy a bit of familiarity.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

'stone hammer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:49 am The Apprentice. Same old deluded, obnoxious tossers trying their best to rim Suralan Lord Sugarness. Anyone who runs a successful business isn't going on it, so we get the 'entrepreneurs' who have conned people into investing in their pyramid scheme.

Ran its course long ago but it's a bit of mindless entertainment and I enjoy a bit of familiarity.
I felt really old watching it last night and the format seemed tired. But, it's entertaining guff and I suppose.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Finally caught up on the most recent series of Shetland, thoroughly enjoyable and Douglas Henshall is on top form as always
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Billy Hunt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:37 am Finally caught up on the most recent series of Shetland, thoroughly enjoyable and Douglas Henshall is on top form as always
He was superb in it. I was given the first five (?) series in a box-set for Christmas. Wa-hoooooo! Mrs Dave and me saw the preceding series but neither of us can remember much about it - the joys of getting older and more diminished on the memory front - so we'll watch all of them again. By which time, we'll have forgotten this latest series so can catch up on that again :)

Toast of Tinseltown - In this, the dreariest, meh-iest of all months this is a pick-me-up. It can be really, really (in a good way) silly but it's always brave and un-obvious, and most importantly of all funny, which is often a missing ingredient in comedies that try to do similar things to Toast. You can see why it'll never make BBC1 :) but it'll be a sad day when Berry stops making them.