What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by S-H »

Black Bird on Apple TV+

(Signed up especially for this)

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:27 pm Black Bird on Apple TV+
I was disappointed.

Paul Walter Hauser is fantastic though.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

BBC1 series 7 ep1 SHETLAND.
Hooked immediately as per.

Also watching BBBC's latest 6 parter (up to ep4 on iplayer)from 'down under', The Newsreader which is quite good
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The Town (2010) Written, directed and stars Ben Affleck.i struggle to find anything decent to watch on Prime so chose something with an actor I had actually heard of. This is a heist movie with the action quite well done. There is genuine tension rather than going for pure spectacle. A solid 7/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Binged watched series two and three of Das Boot. Probably the best thing I have watched in years. Great cast, great storyline and really engrossing.

I thought I caught a glimpse of TOMoS in there but I could have been mistaken :crossed:

Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Football Dreams: The Academy

First episode of a short documentary series following players at Palace's football academy. Focusing on the under 12s. Some great kids, and one intensely annoying one who will doubtless become a major star.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Been watching Under The Banner of Heaven.

Andrew Garfield in obligatory Brit-playing-yank lead role. Quite often clunky (see Taron Egerton in Blackbird and numerous others) but OG Spidey’s got the chops to pull it off.

It’s very good but almost excruciatingly aposite given what’s going on in the States at the minute.

A wake up call in many respects and well worth a watch.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Pete647580 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:58 pm Football Dreams: The Academy

First episode of a short documentary series following players at Palace's football academy. Focusing on the under 12s. Some great kids, and one intensely annoying one who will doubtless become a major star.
I saw this too. I found the whole thing a bit sad. The way this kids were talking, the sacrifices and dedication they showed and knowing that most of them won't make it.
S-H

Post by S-H »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am Started The Resort last night, it's on Peacock
Have to say I'm really enjoying this.

Shame it's one episode a week.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:51 pm Have to say I'm really enjoying this.

Shame it's one episode a week.
What kind of genre is it? The trailer doesn't really give much away. Is it fit for someone with a limited attention span?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

End of Season 3 (the latest) of 'For all Mankind' on AppleTV+ .. It's lost its way for me (Season 1 was excellent, 3 just ok.) It is a bit too far-fetched now, the ease of how things are done and I can no longer work out what time it is supposed to be in (started in the late 60s) as versions of modern tech seem to pop up out of nowhere and at times you wouldn't know it is set in the (recent - mid 90s) past.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:12 pm What kind of genre is it? The trailer doesn't really give much away. Is it fit for someone with a limited attention span?
Overall, we'd consider The Resort to be a dark comedy. IMDb has it in both the thriller and comedy genres. It's really a genre-bending endeavor, but at its core, it holds a mystery
Definitely worth a watch.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Train Truckers on the Yesterday channel.

A documentary series in which steam locomotives need to be repaired, so a haulage firm puts them on the back of a lorry and transports them to a depot. Moments of drama and tension include 'the locomotive won't go up the ramp' and 'that corner looks a bit tight for this long truck'.

Who actually agrees that money should be spent making such programmes?
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Ghostbusters Afterlife. Yeah it was pretty derivative and fan pleasing but when you think of how the Star Wars sequels put a downer on the original leads (Han and Leia split up, Luke is a depressed hermit etc) we thought it was pretty good and quite respectful to Harold Ramis.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

OFT wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:03 am BBC1 series 7 ep1 SHETLAND.
Hooked immediately as per.
Couldn’t you watch the previous season on iplayer all in one go? I thought you could. Watched the first episode of the new series yesterday, and to escape the sun was quite prepared to watch them all in one go, but no, it’s only one at a time. Fair took the wind out of my sails that did. Oh well.

I thought it was a relatively slow paced, less intense starter but after the final episode of the last series it probably needed to be. These are writers who tend to get things very, very right.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'm sure most know, but if not, same writer as Vera

anyway, she's brilliant (Ann Cleeves) and the books are great, but the very bleakness of the setting helps brings the series to life, and the cast is very, very good.

although Doug Henshall is nothing like the "real" Jimmy Perez. but that's a very minor blip.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Thirteen Lives.

Right up Ron Howard’s street this and he delivers maybe his best ever work in my opinion. An outstanding drama.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:52 pm Thirteen Lives.

Right up Ron Howard’s street this and he delivers maybe his best ever work in my opinion. An outstanding drama.
Have you watched the National Geographic Documentary about these events? Well worth a watch if you haven't already.

Think it's on Disney+

Can't wait to watch this Ron Howard adaptation.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:42 am Couldn’t you watch the previous season on iplayer all in one go? I thought you could.
Not sure on that Dave. The beeb seem to make all episodes available in advance for some series but in a minority of cases they don't. We're off to Greece n a couple of weeks so I was hoping to get it done. Can't get the beeb on my phone for late night viewing these days. . Another brexity bonus :winker:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Spent the last two nights watching the two-parter re the war in/departure from Afghanistan.

What a total disaster that was. Roughly akin to digging a near bottomless pit, before pouring filling it half with kerosene and half with US $, before throwing a lit fag into it.

Biden is on record in the 1990s saying the US should have nothing to do with the country, but Trump took power knowing little and caring less about the place. He told all of his staff he was sticking with certain policies and then just threw his hands up in the air and refused to discuss the place...

....before setting up talks with the Taliban, behind the backs of the government propped up by the aforementioned trillions of US $...which everyone knew was being siphoned off by Ghani's lot left, right and centre.

Excellent TV, if only as a record of the sheer mendacity and utter foolishness of respective US governments, oh and The Coalition (of course literally on the beach, in our regards, when the harum scarum evacuation took place). Watch this show if only for the section on Bagram Airbase. Amazing scenes.