What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The Capture

season 2. watched season 1 a while ago and forgot I had this

the lovely Holly Grainger stars.

when AI and facial recognition merge and they can actually "fake" images etc. pretty good premise and a good cast with loads of "old" faces chucked in.

a pretty decent watch. you of course have to accept the premise that AI etc can actually do real time imaging etc. but it's not honestly TOO far fetched as to stretch imagination to where it makes the series complete implausible. it wouldn't surprise me if there is "something" along these lines being discovered in the not too distant future with the tech advances they have these days and ANYTHING with Holly in is imminently watchable.

:newthumb:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Watched the first episode of the Arnie thing on Netflix - FUBAR. It's not going to win any awards but it was entertaining enough.

Synopsis:
A father and daughter have both been working as CIA Operatives for years, but each kept their involvement in the CIA hidden from the other, resulting in their entire relationship being a gigantic lie. Upon learning of each other's involvement in the CIA, the pair are forced to work together as partners, and against the backdrop of explosive action, and espionage, learn who each other really are.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:55 pm Watched the first episode of the Arnie thing on Netflix - FUBAR. It's not going to win any awards but it was entertaining enough.

Synopsis:
A father and daughter have both been working as CIA Operatives for years, but each kept their involvement in the CIA hidden from the other, resulting in their entire relationship being a gigantic lie. Upon learning of each other's involvement in the CIA, the pair are forced to work together as partners, and against the backdrop of explosive action, and espionage, learn who each other really are.
I'll be looking for something new to watch soon so I'll give it a go
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Old, on Netflix. I think that's the worst film I've ever seen.

Horrible casting, super-wooden acting, atrocious dialogue, a ludicrous premise, weak special effects, gratuitous violence, an anti-climactic ending and camerawork that made you feel sick.

It's possibly in the 'so-bad'-it's-good' category, but I had to do a lot of 10-second forward skipping to get through the third act.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:55 pm Watched the first episode of the Arnie thing on Netflix - FUBAR. It's not going to win any awards but it was entertaining enough.
I’m three episodes in, it’s wash over TV, many of the jokes just fall flat but one or two land. If Arnie wasn’t in it I don’t think I’d bother.

Harmless, far from terrible TV
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Watched Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Definitely the weakest of all the Jack Ryan stuff including the TV series. Plot was very predictable and unimaginative. There was a lack of tension and the whole thing just felt a bit rushed. I don't really like Kenneth Branagh much either. Back to the TV series tomorrow night which is far superior.
badabing
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 102 likes

Post by badabing »

I watched Bad Boys,with Sean Penn and Clancy Brown, I hadn’t seen this since I was about 15 so thought it would be fun to see how its aged.
To be fair, not too badly, although it’s a lot more formulaic than my 15 year old self remembered.
Penn even at an early stage of his career showing decent enough chops, Brown, given his size and look, playing the bad guy, a la The Kurgan and Captain Hadley.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Air on Prime - film about the origins of Nike's Air Jordan franchise.

Superb cast, with Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon amongst others.

Really enjoyable.

:newthumb:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Metal Hammer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:20 am Lol well we watched 3 more episodes last night and it seemed easier to understand but that may just be us getting used to the accents. Jamie Sives remained unintelligible for the most part though :crylol:

Watched the final episode last night -

I'd have to say it's Dougray Scott's best ever work - he's finally won me over .

If I had a criticism I'd say that it possibly could have done with an extra couple of episodes [ to explain away other character's stories ] but on the whole it's an excellent series and well worth your time - 8.5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12759778/
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Once upon a time in Northern Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... rn-ireland

This is outstanding TV. Heart breaking, raw, powerful and extremely upsetting.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Anyone thinking of watching Old on Netflix.

Just don't.

You're welcome.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

That’s the second 👎 on here for Old. Duly noted, thanks.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Surprised some of you didn't know about Old before. Definitely not one of M Night's best work. Although, not sure I'd go that far KH :
Korea Hammer wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 am Old, on Netflix. I think that's the worst film I've ever seen.
It's not even his worse one. :crylol:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 am Old, on Netflix.
M. Night doesn't really do it for me either. It's like trying too hard to be 'left feld' but just leaves plots feeling empty.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Toni Erdmann.

Really amusing-in-a-dark-way film about the stupid things we do to make our kids love us, and the stupidity of loving our kids, and the emptiness and meaninglessness of life without love.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:31 pm M. Night doesn't really do it for me either. It's like trying too hard to be 'left feld' but just leaves plots feeling empty.
He's a bit hit and miss. I quite liked The Visit. His most recent was watchable but a bit meh. Never seen Old.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

could be way out of whack here, and it wouldn't be a stretch, but didn't he do The Village or something like that ? got rave reviews and I thought it was crap. if indeed it was he........but again if it WAS he that did Sixth Sense that was absolutely brilliant..

had to google and he also did Unbreakable and I watched it once and thought it was strange, watched it again and thought it was brilliant watched some of it again and thought it was not very good. maybe because I got the premise and it wasn't so effective on second proper viewing... ??????? think I did maybe the sequel and maybe the third one but thought it didn't live up to my "brilliant" thought of Unbreakable. I never got the "Super Hero" thing so maybe it was me......

he is a bit hit and miss I think...
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:55 am Once upon a time in Northern Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... rn-ireland

Finished it over the weekend. Agreed, the best documentary I have ever seen regarding "The Troubles". To an untrained eye very equal where both sides got to put their story across, one thing for sure, there were no winners.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

John Wick 4. It was exactly what I thought it would be. Enjoyable but it's run its course now so no part 5 please.

Next film on the agenda is Evil Dead Rise.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:55 am Once upon a time in Northern Ireland

https://wwwc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0f ... rn-ireland

Watched ep1 last night.

Very interesting