Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Avram Grant & Tal Ben Haim: should they be granted permission to miss the Stoke game?

Yes
64%
No
31%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 519

Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

Post by Claretdave »

It seems that in what amounts to a critical match in our season, our manager is choosing to absent himself.

How reasonable religious absence is is a matter of debate, but I am extremely disappointed. Five points from the tough start and I could live with it, but bottom of the table, clearly floundering and in desperate need of a result, our manager chooses to pursue personal issues.

Avram - even at this stage, a non-appearance on Saturday will be the beginning of the end.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: Grant and the Yom Kippur absence

Post by bubbles1966 »

If we get a point in his absence, I can bet that some people will be on here by the next morning suggesting that the assistant manager replace him permanently.

I could probably hazard a guess at which posters it will be as well....
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Disagree totally Dave. If he feels his faith dictates he must miss this one game I've absolutely no problem with it myself. Religion is something so deep seated in people or groups of people that it's hard for some to understand. The point about having a good or bad start is irrelevent to me, either it's right or wrong for him to do it regardless of our position .I personally wish he was at the game, I don't hold anything against him for not being there.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

My first knee-jerk response was one of anger at Grant (and Ben-Haim, for that matter). They're handsomely paid by West Ham to do a job of work on the days required, of which match-day is the most vital. But on further reflection, I've wondered: is there a price on abandoning your religious convictions? I suppose not.

Something else is nagging at me though as regards Grant specifically, though it could be a doubt borne out of pure ignorance since I'm not Jewish and have no idea what that faith has to say on the matter, but: is a man who gets caught frequenting whorehouses simply picking and choosing exactly when his religious beliefs need to take priority? It didn't seem to matter much down in Pompey as he pulled his trousers back up... :think:

I dunno. Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn. As I said, I don't know what the Jewish faith thinks about all that.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

If he doesn't show up on Saturday then don't bother turning up on Monday.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

i wonder if his salary is deducted accordingly ?
Julian's Dick

Post by Julian's Dick »

It doesn't bother me about Grant and Ben Haim following their religion, it's just part of life in which some people/cultures understand and others don't. I'm not a religious person but choose not to judge those who are religious.

The only thing I am bothered with is ANOTHER change to our centre half pairing if Tal Ben Haim doesn't play. If he doesn't play and then either Reid/Da Costa/Gabbidon/Tomkins do come in and play well or even have a moderate game I believe we should pursue that pairing.
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

It's a disgrace that when we are rock bottom and the only club in the country with no points, these two decide to sod off for a bit of Halibut.
codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by codger »

http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2 ... trast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

last.caress wrote:...is a man who gets caught frequenting whorehouses simply picking and choosing exactly when his religious beliefs need to take priority?
That's the only basic thing that puzzles me about it.
Julian's Dick

Post by Julian's Dick »

Religion is 99% hypocritical anyway.
Hammer_atown

Post by Hammer_atown »

Forgive me if it's just something I've missed, but has it actually been confirmed by either AG, TBH or the club that they're going to be missing the game? To me it all just seems to be rumours and conjecture in the papers. All i've seen come from the manager is saying he wouldn't comment on it after the Chelsea game and David Gold saying he wouldn't have a problem with it in Grant wanted to.

FWIW, if he wants to take it off, so be it. I liken it to someone from a christian country, who lives and works in a non christian country wanting to take Christmas day off, even if it's not a common holy day in said country. How many of you on here (regardless of religion at this point) would want to/expect to have Christmas or Easter off if you lived somewhere else. I'd suspect a lot of us would...
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Our critical match of the season comes early this year.

With AG not there, some of the players will wake up and take charge. There has been talk of the team "not having leaders". It's maybe AG's attempt to lure one out?
mokum hammer

Post by mokum hammer »

I know if I told my boss I wasn't coming in for an excuse like that, I'd be sacked
beckton

Post by beckton »

mokum hammer wrote:I know if I told my boss I wasn't coming in for an excuse like that, I'd be sacked

Are you Jewish?
travisbickle

Post by travisbickle »

Didn't someone once say that football isn't life or death...it's more important than that.
beckton

Post by beckton »

travisbickle wrote:Didn't someone once say that football isn't life or death...it's more important than that.

Shankly and he was joking.
mokum hammer

Post by mokum hammer »

beckton wrote:
Are you Jewish?
Fortunately not! otherwise I'd miss the game on saturday :wink:
beckton

Post by beckton »

mokum hammer wrote: Fortunately not! otherwise I'd miss the game on saturday
:lol:
VD-Jonnie

Post by VD-Jonnie »

"The evening and day of Yom Kippur are set aside for public and private petitions and confessions of guilt"

Avram probably needs that after his activities. I will let him off.