West Bromwich Albion 3 West Ham Utd 3 (12/02/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MarshyWHU

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by MarshyWHU »

the pink palermo wrote:Personally I'd have taken a defeat and nailing the blonde .
Olympic Stadium and nailing the blonde? :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Don't be silly .
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

I think I can remember coming back from 3-0 down at Leicester.....would have been around mid 70s.

Ended 3-3.

I'm sure there is another one I've forgot ...
beckton

Post by beckton »

I was reminded by a West Brom fan on the train back to New Street of when they came back from 3 down to beat us 4-3 in the Championship.

He was an old boy and seemed quite sensible at first but then he moved onto slagging off our academy, when I reeled of the players we'd produced his reply reminded of the "what have the Romans ever done for us" scene from Life of Brian.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

davids cross wrote:I think I can remember coming back from 3-0 down at Leicester.....would have been around mid 70s.

Ended 3-3.

I'm sure there is another one I've forgot ...
Spot on DC...we were 3-0 down at half-time and Patsy Holland scored with virtually the last kick of the game to make it 3-3.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I can remember being at two previous games when we were three down and recovered - in the 70's against Wolves when the ref got knocked out by the ball and Bobby Moore picked up the whistle and blew it to stop the game - that finished 3-3 and the famous Bradford game in the PL when I believe we were 4-1 down at one stage. Please put me right if I am incorrect.

Going through people's predictions is interesting, I think there is a case from anything between 7 and 20 points possible. This is the first season I can remember when I have actually no idea what we are likely to do from game to game.

Based on stats I can't see how we will do it, but fortunately as yesterday showed nothing is logical in football.

We are supposed to be s**t away from home ,but I notice we have only picked up one point more at home than away from home this season, and take the Newcastle game out and we have had a decent run since mid-December.

I think it will come down to the six home games, we have to win at least four out of them now.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

However much spirit we showed and however great the fightback was, it doesn't mask the fact this was a game we really needed to win.

We have eleven games left. I think we need five wins. I have bolded the games I think we can win without needing a huge slice of luck.

Liverpool H
Stoke H
Spurs A
Man Utd H
Bolton A
Villa H
Chelsea A
Man City A
Blackburn H
Wigan A
Sunderland H

Not one of those games is easier on paper than Birmingham H or West Brom A and we've bottled both at the most important time in the season. Even if we do play well enough to win all those, we're still going to leave ourselves under an insane amount of pressure, needing nine points from our last three games to stay up. I think when it's put like that, it's becoming very difficult to imagine this side doing it. Sure, we might win a couple of the unbolded games and spring a surprise, but we're at least as likely to piss away Stoke at home or capitulate at the DW when everything's at stake.

I think we've left it too late and blown it. And we had plenty of opportunities.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Hockley Hammer wrote:and the famous Bradford game in the PL when I believe we were 4-1 down at one stage. Please put me right if I am incorrect.
I think we were 'only' 4-2 down in that one.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:However much spirit we showed and however great the fightback was, it doesn't mask the fact this was a game we really needed to win.

We have eleven games left. I think we need five wins. I have bolded the games I think we can win without needing a huge slice of luck.

Liverpool H
Stoke H
Sp*rs A
Man Utd H
Bolton A
Villa H
Chelsea A
Man City A
Blackburn H
Wigan A
Sunderland H

Not one of those games is easier on paper than Birmingham H or West Brom A and we've bottled both at the most important time in the season. Even if we do play well enough to win all those, we're still going to leave ourselves under an insane amount of pressure, needing nine points from our last three games to stay up. I think when it's put like that, it's becoming very difficult to imagine this side doing it. Sure, we might win a couple of the unbolded games and spring a surprise, but we're at least as likely to piss away Stoke at home or capitulate at the DW when everything's at stake.

I think we've left it too late and blown it. And we had plenty of opportunities.
Great post and I alluded to this in the Premium. I do think Blackburn is an easy match though
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

Gerblatz wrote: Spot on DC...we were 3-0 down at half-time and Patsy Holland scored with virtually the last kick of the game to make it 3-3.
Thanks for the confirmation mate,

I remember watching the old teleprinter on Grandstand for that game. As the score came up I jumped around my bedroom in a way that would probably dislocate something now.......... :lol:
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

cheers Scaloni you have really depressed me now. I agree that it will probably come down to us needing to win our last 3 games to stay up. All winnable for sure. I just dont think we will do it :(