Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 74 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Whitters »

On the subject of hayfever, I finished last October a 3-year de-sensitization programme where you get injected with pollen once a month.

It has been amazing and I haven't had to take a pill for teh last couple of years, let's see how it goes this year but so far so good
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Sign me up Whitters!

Not heard of this before - is it only available in Suisse ?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Whitters wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:32 pm On the subject of hayfever, I finished last October a 3-year de-sensitization programme where you get injected with pollen once a month.

It has been amazing and I haven't had to take a pill for teh last couple of years, let's see how it goes this year but so far so good
I never suffered with hayfever until I moved to Kent where it struck with a vengeance. Someone suggested that I just eat the local honey just before spring every day. Just a small amount and it's worked wonders. Like you, I haven't had to take a pill since I started doing that, even when the rapeseed is out, which used to destroy me before.
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by Whitters »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:36 pm Sign me up Whitters!

Not heard of this before - is it only available in Suisse ?
I had heard about it before but I don't know if it is available on the NHS or not, maybe worth asking your GP. It might be restricted to those with severe symptoms unless you pay for it.

Switzerland is all private medical care insurance so they tend to be more generous with who can have it, although it does show what a bargain the NHS is given how much I have to pay each month for the insurance.

Apart from the faff of having to go to the clinic once a month, and once a week for the first few weeks, it has been a great thing to do and I saw the benefits in the first summer after I started in the first year. The effects were pretty quick to kick in
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

LinkedIn turning more and more into a Facebook clone.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Whitters wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:42 pm
Switzerland is all private medical care insurance so they tend to be more generous with who can have it, although it does show what a bargain the NHS is given how much I have to pay each month for the insurance.

Tell me about it !!!
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:52 am LinkedIn turning more and more into a Facebook clone.
Yes! Been awful over the last few months, I've seen the fake racist story for likes, the fake helping a homeless person for likes, the fake political post for likes and even the person holding a sign asking for a million likes because they beat cancer!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Gormalysis wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:00 pm Yes! Been awful over the last few months, I've seen the fake racist story for likes, the fake helping a homeless person for likes, the fake political post for likes and even the person holding a sign asking for a million likes because they beat cancer!
I actually used to get some work from there a while back, now I hardly bother looking.
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by E15Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:12 pm The company I work for use AWS exclusively and the monthly cost is nothing short of shocking. What makes it worse is that it's tax payer's money that they're spunking on systems that could quite easily be run in a private cloud or even a local DMZ - oh no, the developers want their own little playground and duly go and spin up VMs and forget about them for months, all the while they're costing the company thousands.
I work for a competitor of AWS, a leading European based Hyperscaler that are 50% lower cost than them, the saying in the market is - No-one ever got fired for deploying in AWS.....until the CFO comes knocking!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I love the NHS BUT sometimes it's a real pain:

My elderly father is due for a nasty invasive operation. He's worried but he needs it done. In the last two weeks - this has happened:

1) He is rung up and told there is a cancellation and he can have the op in a weeks time. He goes to pre op next day only to be told they had not told him to stop a blood thining medication, so he can't have the op. He'll be put back.

2) The following week he is told there is an slot available - stop taking his meds and come in for a per op assessment a week later. He does so, goes to pre op and fails - one of his blood readings is now too high and he is given more medication to compensate. He takes the tablets, gets another op date, goes to pre assessment, flys through it peferctly, and the op date is agreed - ina hospital 50 miles or so away from us. He has to be there by 7 AM.

He gets up at 5 am to get ready, as do I we leave (via car) to go to the hospital. We$get there on time, he's whisked in, I am streng verboten and not allowed anywhere near him. I spend 5 hous wandering around town, kipping in the car only to get a call to say the DR's are running late and he may be kept in over night (it's a day proceedure thing). An hour later I get a call to pick him up, the op is cancelled, due to "Equipment malfunction."

3) He gets a call a few days later, another cancellation in a hospital 15 mins away -it's tomorrow. He goes to pre op, flies through, and again it's a 7 AM start. He gets up at 5 to get ready, as do I, we get to te hospital 5 mins early, go to Surgery Admissions, and I kid you not, the receptionist says "Sorry he's not on the list."

Then in walks a bloke who also had his appointment cancelled in the last place - he's not on the list either! Big Rukus - to cut a long story short: one hospital has forgotten to tell the other hospital that they are doing the op and there is no paperwork for both blokes.

Now to be fair, the receptionist is a decent bloke. He organises a Bike to go get the papers for both parties and bring them here. They come in, and my dad and this bloke have now gone through the complete rigmorole and are awaiting their op.

More news as it happens.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Day two of being back at work after 3 and a bit months off and I've already had enough of stupid cuntomers, that are too busy sounding off and moaning to actually realise the slight deviation to my duty I took (with permission) on the route was actually beneficial not only to them but everybody else that were on board and everybody waiting en route...
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

:chin:

Wondering if DL spelt customers wrong on purpose or not?

:lol:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

I’d say definitely on porpoise.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

smuts wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:38 pm :chin:

Wondering if DL spelt customers wrong on purpose or not?

I actually didn't. It was a typo as I must have had the word going through my head as I typed. Freudian slip I'm afraid - I'd love to take ownership, but I can't :oops:
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

I can do the W@nker hand gesture with my right hand but when I do it with my left I look like a spast..... sorry, I can't use that word anymore. I look like a right w@nker (literally).

And my car is a left hand drive so when I want to insult another driver I have to undo my seatbelt, lean over to my left & shove my right hand out of the window to call them a w@nker - otherwise I look a bit ridiculous.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Shabu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:20 am I can do the W@nker hand gesture with my right hand but when I do it with my left I look like a spast..... sorry, I can't use that word anymore. I look like a right w@nker (literally).

And my car is a left hand drive so when I want to insult another driver I have to undo my seatbelt, lean over to my left & shove my right hand out of the window to call them a w@nker - otherwise I look a bit ridiculous.

... and that's why we drive on the right hand side over here in the UK.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I didn't think Americans understood that hand signal anyway. Aren't you wasting your time regardless of which hand you use?

Alternatively just shout "w@nker" out the window at them.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

-DL- wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:41 pm I actually didn't. It was a typo as I must have had the word going through my head as I typed. Freudian slip I'm afraid - I'd love to take ownership, but I can't :oops:
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

southbrishammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:56 am I didn't think Americans understood that hand signal anyway. Aren't you wasting your time regardless of which hand you use?

Alternatively just shout "w@nker" out the window at them.
Most people in my neighbourhood don't speak English so I'd have to shout "Gilipollas" or "Pendejo" at the Mexicans or "คนพเนจร", "lỗ đít" or "ไอ้สารเลว" at the Asians.

Hand gesture much easier. In theory anyway.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Microsoft Azure (again)

It should be renamed Azure beta.