Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 pm My local Lloyds is very good. They text me when my prescriptions are ready and they really are ready, packaged up and ready to go. Just like many businesses it depends on the branch.
To be fair, so did mine but in the past year they've been shocking. They did an IT upgrade and apparently it was a disaster. My local was the Guinea pig for this system and it saw people changing their chemist in droves as well as lots of people resigning, include two pharmacists.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

DIY.

I really really want to be good at it. I plan everything to the nth degree, write lists, make spreadsheets, buy books, watch video guides, etc... all in the same way I would as if I was doing some IT project at work. I over-plan though and completely overwhelm myself to the point where it starts to make me feel very very anxious - and I back out and end up not doing whatever job or jobs that I was planning. Instead I pay good money to get someone else out to do the job - and I watch him do it and then think... I could have done that, it looks easy.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 am DIY.

I really really want to be good at it. I plan everything to the nth degree, write lists, make spreadsheets, buy books, watch video guides, etc... all in the same way I would as if I was doing some IT project at work. I over-plan though and completely overwhelm myself to the point where it starts to make me feel very very anxious - and I back out and end up not doing whatever job or jobs that I was planning. Instead I pay good money to get someone else out to do the job - and I watch him do it and then think... I could have done that, it looks easy.
The thing that I have found makes jobs either difficult or easy is having the right tools to do it. I have often had to 'make do' and it has shown at the end.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Agree on right tools, makes such a difference to any job.

I had a mate like you Burnley, he got a mate who is decent at DIY to help him find his confidence, do a few jobs together, then mate went round to watch/advise for a few jobs while he done it. Worth trying/persevering as you will save money and also get a lot of satisfaction as your confidence grows and you complete the jobs on your tod. As Hummer says, get the right tools, makes all the difference.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:14 am Agree on right tools, makes such a difference to any job.

I had a mate like you Burnley, he got a mate who is decent at DIY to help him find his confidence, do a few jobs together, then mate went round to watch/advise for a few jobs while he done it. Worth trying/persevering as you will save money and also get a lot of satisfaction as your confidence grows and you complete the jobs on your tod. As Hummer says, get the right tools, makes all the difference.
Also, unless you strapped for cash, don't get the cheapest, cheapest possible tools. Sometimes paying just that little bit more will make a massive difference.

Good luck - as CH says, if you get a job right, it gives you an immense sense of pride. :newthumb:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:18 am Good luck - as CH says, if you get a job right, it gives you an immense sense of pride. :newthumb:
It's just the ones that go disastrously wrong that shatter your confidence :)
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I do actually have quite a nice collection of tools and gadgets for all the jobs I ended up not doing!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 am It's just the ones that go disastrously wrong that shatter your confidence :)
:crylol: mate, in the past I've flooded out the upstairs meaning loads of works required downstairs, I've dug up a huge section of the garden now am (weather permitting) just waiting to reinstate it, I've dropped paint on the stair carpets, have ballsed up the family bathroom, the list goes on... but those rare occassions when 'the plan comes together' are a real sit back and enjoy a well earned cold beer moment, and you just can't beat it.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

I've been in construction for most of my working life, I'm a practical man, I'm good at the DIY, however.. I much prefer paying professionals to do a professional job when it comes to my home.

Also translates to, I really can't be ****ed with it anymore..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:11 pm I've been in construction for most of my working life, I'm a practical man, I'm good at the DIY, however.. I much prefer paying professionals to do a professional job when it comes to my home.

Also translates to, I really can't be ****ed with it anymore..
Or, more likely that you have a list of decent trades you can use and trust.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:13 pm Or, more likely that you have a list of decent trades you can use and trust.
This is true.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

“Dishwasher hasn’t washed properly again…”

These words immediately set my teeth on edge. The issue is that it has actually been loaded by slap-dash dimwits, that couldn’t get past level one on Tetris in a year of trying.

THE DISHWASHER FAIRY DOESN’T INDIVIDUALLY MOVE EVERY TOUCHING BOWL AND PLATE YOU CRETINS!

Thank you. I feel better now.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Dishwasher 'front loaders' need to burn in hell!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:19 pm “Dishwasher hasn’t washed properly again…”

These words immediately set my teeth on edge. The issue is that it has actually been loaded by slap-dash dimwits, that couldn’t get past level one on Tetris in a year of trying.

THE DISHWASHER FAIRY DOESN’T INDIVIDUALLY MOVE EVERY TOUCHING BOWL AND PLATE YOU CRETINS!

Thank you. I feel better now.
I give the plates a quick rinse before putting them in the dishwasher, which my mother in law was condescending towards.

Just before Christmas, her dishwasher stopped working properly. It turned out (not exactly sure how they work) that one of the tubes taking the waste away was blocked with years of fat and other crap.

I was there when my father in law fixed it and gave the MIL a wry smile.
Alan Pardew's Dad

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:22 pm Dishwasher 'front loaders' need to burn in hell!
Oh… don’t get me started.

Load from the back and think of the 3D space. A plate laid flat on the top self should be a capital offence.
Alan Pardew's Dad

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:25 pm I give the plates a quick rinse before putting them in the dishwasher, which my mother in law was condescending towards.
THIS!

Why is it my job to take the bloody dishwasher apart every few months when it throws an error because everything is clogged up with food! Scrape plates before putting them in.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:33 am I do actually have quite a nice collection of tools and gadgets for all the jobs I ended up not doing!
It's all about confidence mate. I won't tackle plumbing or electrics as I simply don't know enough but when I built my recording studio I did all the timber studwork, insulation, damp proof membrane, plasterboarding, flooring, skirting and decorating myself. I had to get someone to fit the door and window as it was double glazed but everything else was done from simply looking at videos. I could have done the brickwork too but my back would have been in bits in a couple of hours.

If I were you, if you're paying tradesmen to come round, why not pay them anyway and do the job yoruself with them watching over you (if they'll agree to that). If you have the confidence to do one job then you'd be surprised how the rest will follow. If you can read a tape measure, have the right tools and a bit of confidence, you'll be surprised what you can achieve.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 am DIY.

Christ yes. Also with car and motorcycle repair.

Some things I can do: decorate, lay a laminate floor, but clueless on plumbing and electrics.

I went on a 4 day plastering course a few years ago. End result looked like Fred Flintstone doing work experience.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Pete647580 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:23 pm I went on a 4 day plastering course a few years ago. End result looked like Fred Flintstone doing work experience.
I really could do with going on something like that. There's a 3 day intensive plastering course quite local that costs £600. I better get saving!

Edit - just found this too which is fairly local: https://www.trade-ability.co.uk/
Pete647580
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:12 pm I really could do with going on something like that. There's a 3 day intensive plastering course quite local that costs £600. I better get saving!

Edit - just found this too which is fairly local: https://www.trade-ability.co.uk/
I found by the end of 4 days I knew what to do. But then you need loads of practice. My walls looked half-ok in daylight but when viewed in artificial light it wasn't a pretty sight.

I can definitely patch up areas though, just not fast enough to do a large wall. I wouldn't attempt a ceiling.