Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

"Oftentimes".
Effing yank wankery.
Often is exclusively an expression of time. Why add the completely redundant "Times"? To avoid confusion with what, exacly?
If it ain't broke....
Grinds my gears. :swear: Thick twonks trying to sound more intelligent by needlessly complicating a perfectly simple and accurate word.
Death is too good for them.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Afore ye get worked up about them there Yanks, 'oftentimes' has been around since Middle English (also 'oftentide') and is an example of a linguistic phenomenon known as 'peripheral fossilisation'. This is where colonists take a language to a new place and retain features of that language long after the language in the country of origin has changed.

Works the same with Spanish and Latin Spanish, and is probably why Australians say 'strewth'
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1877 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 pm "Oftentimes".
Effing yank wankery.
Often is exclusively an expression of time. Why add the completely redundant "Times"? To avoid confusion with what, exacly?
If it ain't broke....
Grinds my gears. :swear: Thick twonks trying to sound more intelligent by needlessly complicating a perfectly simple and accurate word.
Death is too good for them.
Are we related? :crylol:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Eggchaser wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:51 pm Are we related? :crylol:
Oftentimes people are..
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:54 pm Afore ye get worked up about them there Yanks, 'oftentimes' has been around since Middle English (also 'oftentide') and is an example of a linguistic phenomenon known as 'peripheral fossilisation'. This is where colonists take a language to a new place and retain features of that language long after the language in the country of origin has changed.

Works the same with Spanish and Latin Spanish, and is probably why Australians say 'strewth'
Linguistically, you're spot on with the fossilisation BUT it is unnecessary and I've only recently noticed its use, especially today in a training video (Yank produced) so it is a little thing that irritates me AND it's the fault of the septics for not killing off the needlessly lengthy, pointless streak of literary piss. Not only have they not killed it off but it is making a comeback, according to Merriam Webster, hence my irritation. Still yank-wankery Viet.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I've always reckoned, being 'burglurised' sounds a bit dodgy.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:29 am I've always reckoned, being 'burglurised' sounds a bit dodgy.
There is a Christmas episode of Inspector Gadget (the more recent remake version) where he uses the word "humbuggery".

Makes me chuckle every time I hear it.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Now you're just being rude :D
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

....booglarize you baby
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Sodding house alarm. Don't use it but every now and then something sets it off. The latest being my wireless doorbell. But this time the error can't be cleared as it apparently needs an engineer restore as it's a wireless jamming error.. Do I have the engineers code? No of course not! It's a racket Isn't it?

Does anyone know if I can just get an electrician in to disable the thing? (I'm not sure where to start and don't fancy setting it off) I have no idea which 'security' company has the engineers code and even if I did I don't particularly want to pay them a wedge to come out and type four digits in.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Visiting my grandad, spending about an hour with him chatting about all sorts which can be tricky due to his dementia, to then have my Aunt ring me as I'm leaving to tell me she listened in to my entire visit using the CCTV she had installed recently. A whole ****ing hour. She could have rang me when I arrived to let me know that.

Sneaky bitch.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:29 am Visiting my grandad, spending about an hour with him chatting about all sorts which can be tricky due to his dementia, to then have my Aunt ring me as I'm leaving to tell me she listened in to my entire visit using the CCTV she had installed recently. A whole ****ing hour. She could have rang me when I arrived to let me know that.

Sneaky bitch.
I hope you spent the whole hour cussing your auntie with your grandad 😁
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Sorry about your Grandad Eggy, horrible ****ing condition.

That is very sneaky and not nice, at least you know now so you can find and look into the camera and slag her off :D

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:29 am Visiting my grandad, spending about an hour with him chatting about all sorts which can be tricky due to his dementia, to then have my Aunt ring me as I'm leaving to tell me she listened in to my entire visit using the CCTV she had installed recently. A whole ****ing hour. She could have rang me when I arrived to let me know that.

Sneaky bitch.
You'd think that, when the old guy was being visited by family, that was precisely when she DIDN'T need to be watching the CCTV.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I have a virus of some nature. Doesn't appear to be covid, but is unpleasant and I'm feeling extremely sorry for myself.

Yes, I'm aware I'm being a massive wuss.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 am I hope you spent the whole hour cussing your auntie with your grandad 😁
Funny you say that Al, she didn't escape the various things that got a coating during our 'chat'
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:54 pm Afore ye get worked up about them there Yanks, 'oftentimes' has been around since Middle English (also 'oftentide') and is an example of a linguistic phenomenon known as 'peripheral fossilisation'. This is where colonists take a language to a new place and retain features of that language long after the language in the country of origin has changed.

Reminds me of the other day. I like using the -ize ending, which originated from British English and is still favoured by Oxford University etc, used by Shakespeare and many other great writers. -Ise only really became a thing here in around the 70s or 80s according to Google searches.

I set up a meeting invite at work and got a message out of the blue saying that I'd used the American spelling.

a) Why the f*** are you messaging me that
b) It's correct

Somehow I resisted the urge to go all Susie Dent on her sorry arse.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

r99c wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:33 am
Somehow I resisted the urge to go all Susie Dent on her sorry arse.
Is this, some exciting new street slang that hasn't yet reached rural Worcestershire.?

r99c wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:33 am Reminds me of the other day. I like using the -ize ending, which originated from British English and is still favoured by Oxford University etc, used by Shakespeare and many other great writers. -Ise only really became a thing here in around the 70s or 80s according to Google searches.
I am actually really surprised by this.

I would have said that words ending 'ise' - such as surprise etc - were derived from Latin and therefore really quite old-fashioned.
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:28 am I am actually really surprised by this.

I would have said that words ending 'ise' - such as surprise etc - were derived from Latin and therefore really quite old-fashioned.
https://www.theremedyoferrors.com/blog/ ... %20writing.

Surprise isn't Greek root so that's always spelled like that, even in the States.

-yse endings are purely American when they are spelled with a 'z', but not the 'ise / ize' ones