Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Anywhere you want, all be it probably won't do the carpet any good.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

A conversation I had with a Drs receptionist today.

"Hi, I was issued a prescription on 7th of December, and I am supposed to be having a review after two months - but I've run out today as I was given 56 tablets"

'You're not due your review until the 7th of February "

"But I only had 56 tablets, and have run out, so need some more"

'Yes, you had two months worth'

"No I didn't, I had 8 weeks worth"

'That's two months, yes'

"How many months have only 28 days in total within the year?"

'Pardon?'

"Ok, let's make this easier. How many days are in December? And how many days in January? It's 31 each, isn't it?"

'Yes, it is'

"What's 31 x 2?"

'It's 62, why?'

"Explain to me how 56 is two months worth when between 7th of December and 7th of February is 62 days?"

'Can you hold please?'.

Bit of shitty hold music...

'Hi, there will be a prescription sent to the pharmacy for you by tomorrow morning...'

Give me ****ing strength...🤦‍♂️
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I spotted a mistake someone made at work this week that would cost the business at least $300k per year - possibly 10 times that much. Ran it up the flagpole and called a meeting with the relevant parties. The casual indifference was breathtaking, no shits given by anyone but me, just a load of irritation that they’ll have to re-do it all correctly. I hate “big corporate” life sometimes.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 pm Ran it up the flagpole and called a meeting with the relevant parties.
No wonder they didn’t care. If you are metaphorically running things up flag poles, taking helicopter views or spending all your time getting your ducks in a row you truly deserve to burn in corporate hell.

Recently, I presented some work to a senior director and without a hint of explanation, irony or relevance they asked. “That’s fine, but what are you going to do to evergreen it?” I had to politely enquire as to what the actual funk they meant. Apparently it means to make something supportable in the long term.

Don’t speak in riddles and you may have more success.

Sorry I hijacked your rant, dasnutnock. You seem a sensible chap and I may have overreacted. A little. Alright, a lot. Sorry :grin:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Nah, no offence taken, was a valid call out. Was just thinking of a better phrase and “flagged it to senior management” popped into my head. Clearly, i think about flags too much.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

mushy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:39 pm Where do you stand on Cinnamon?
Well, old school hot cross buns have a bit of spice in them, which presumably includes cinnamon, so I'm ok with that.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:13 pm A conversation I had with a Drs receptionist today.
Some can be brilliant, & some are like Gargoyles guarding their gods & prescriptions. Very often self opinionated they are qualified doctors as well.
Love that story though DL, I bet she put you on hold to pull herself together after clearly making herself look really stupid
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

The majority of Doctor's receptionists are jobsworth c****, full of self importance, when in reality all they do is answer the phones, not that there's anything wrong with that, just stop acting like c**** you c****

There are some genuinely lovely ones though, but sadly they appear to be few and far between.

:newthumb:
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by kenthammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 am The majority of Doctor's receptionists are jobsworth *****, full of self importance, when in reality all they do is answer the phones, not that there's anything wrong with that, just stop acting like ***** you *****

There are some genuinely lovely ones though, but sadly they appear to be few and far between.

:newthumb:
99% Gestapo trained
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I had to call the Drs for my mum the other week, receptionist picked up and I just said "good morning, how are you today" her reply "oh, why thank you for asking and being so polite, it's a rarity nowadays" or words similar. I'm sure nearly all of us have had issues with a receptionist or 2, but her words made me take a step back, how much grief do they get every day from the Public which makes many seem stand off ish as their start point ?????
S-H

Post by S-H »

That's a fair point clackers.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Don't get me wrong SH I think we all have all come across "that" receptionist. Society, manners, seems to be more ****ed than it ever has been, bring in cost of living, Ukraine, ongoing effects of Covid/lockdown etc, just seems many are ready to have a pop first instead of just using good manners as a start point. Sure we are all guilty of that at times.

Anyways, had to ring a receptionist to find out some results many years ago, I had to spit into a jar, get it tested, call up for results, official term is sputum. So called up, had a mental block on the word sputum so I said, apologies, forgotten the correct term but I am calling regarding a "spit" test, she said don''t worry, the word you are looking for is stall, I burst out laughing and said no "SPIT", she thought I said s h i t :D
S-H

Post by S-H »

:lol:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Most of the receptionists at my GPS are OK, but I went in and asked for an appointment, and one I'd never seen before said :
'Can I ask you what it's for?' 'Why,' I replied, 'Are you a doctor'?. By now the crowded waiting room had gone eerily quiet, 'Well,'
she said, 'I have to ask'.
When I told her there were days when I thought I could fly, and that didn't seem quite right, there was a deafening silence, then a huge guffaw from my doc who was passing at the time and said:. 'just make Mr. Tenbury his usual appointment'...
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

At work, there isn't a canteen just food trucks whose food is in various sorts of tubs. The result is hundreds of empty containers being binned/recycled. There are recycling bins and non recycling bins but it is never clear what goes in which bin, so somebody had the (good) idea of having somebody there to explain it to people.
Unfortunately, the person there today had turned into a stereotypical jobsworth and made the mistake of shouting at me as if I were one of her kids, when I was checking out the new system "No!!!Take the napkin out of the container! and the food waste! Then recycle it!
I do not respond well to a) being shouted at and b) being given orders by strangers so that annoyed me and then I annoyed myself by just chucking the whole lot in the bin and walking off while biting my tongue, all to stop me telling her where she could shove the napkin.

Had she not gone full Mumsnet on me and given me 10 seconds to work it out for myself, the recycling would have been done properly and neither of us would have anything to moan about.

As it is, I'm on here moaning about her and she's fuming, waiting to tell her mates about that rude prick who just chucked his rubbish in the wrong bin.

Mainly annoyed at myself tbh.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

The latest irritable phrase.

When a politician or CEO is asked a question by a reporter/interviewer, their first response is; "That's a great/fantastic/brilliant question". No you cretin. It's just a question relevant to the situation you're been interviewed for. It's mainly the Americans at the moment, but coming over the pond to be used very frequently over here, very soon, on a TV near you!
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:34 pm The latest irritable phrase.

When a politician or CEO is asked a question by a reporter/interviewer, their first response is; "That's a great/fantastic/brilliant question". No you cretin. It's just a question relevant to the situation you're been interviewed for. It's mainly the Americans at the moment, but coming over the pond to be used very frequently over here, very soon, on a TV near you!
That means "I'm giving myself a little extra time to make up some bulls**t answer".
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:47 pm That means "I'm giving myself a little extra time to make up some bulls**t answer".
Or:

"I'm instantly heaping praise on you so you may go easy on me for the rest of the interview".
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I'm a court clerk and put an ambulance chaser in his place this morning. He let out a high pitch "Ooohh..." (possible sarcasm) when I answered the phone and then began to explain to me how the judge hadn't done their job properly. He let out several snorts and sniggers. I took one look at the case and firmly told him they hadn't paid the fee required for the hearing hence it being struck out. Literally every single legal firm we deal with know to do this. I feel very sorry for their client right now. Not much gives me more satisfaction from owning ignorant people who think they understand what they're doing.

I'd feel happier dealing with Lionel Hutz from The Simpsons.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:34 pm The latest irritable phrase.

It's already hear Eggy, I have noticed it over the last few months with our politicians.