Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by WestSamToo »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:08 pm Was that on the trailer or the actual show?

If it was on the trailer, I didn't get that far as I'd kicked the f**k out of the TV by then, but if it was on the actual show, you've gone the same way as Samba!
Actual show.....to see her......you had to watch ALL the way through to the end. :shock: :smiler:
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

The use of the word 'hack' to describe a quick or different way of doing something. People that use it are quite clearly oblivious to the dictionary definition. What's wrong with using the word tip? :furrow:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:07 am The use of the word 'hack' to describe a quick or different way of doing something. People that use it are quite clearly oblivious to the dictionary definition. What's wrong with using the word tip? :furrow:
'hack the curve' - one they use at work during big-wig presentations.. a horrible saying, what does it even mean?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just had a Christmas card through the post.

First class stamp.

It is post-marked 06.12.22.

That's taking the yellow stuff, it really is.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The term "deep dive". Been invited to a software meeting where apparently they're doing a "deep dive" into an internal digital publishing system.

f*** that. Unless you're describing actual diving (no not muff-diving you filthy lot) then don't use it. Just stop. We're not American (yet).
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm The term "deep dive". Been invited to a software meeting where apparently they're doing a "deep dive" into an internal digital publishing system.
Is that pre or post midday 'scrum' GCRO? Another that makes me want to poke people in the eye.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Jonah wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:53 pm Is that pre or post midday 'scrum' GCRO? Another that makes me want to poke people in the eye.
Yeah, we even have a scrum master who takes them. :cried: Apparently that and "kan-bans" are the in thing where I work. I think they should be renamed to yawn-fests as all they do is prevent me from actually doing the work they're discussing.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

The Microsoft MCT email that has been sent to me (checks bin) 23 times since yesterday afternoon. Obviously the bot that is sending it out is broken and I have been getting the same email set hourly for almost a day.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm The term "deep dive". Been invited to a software meeting where apparently they're doing a "deep dive" into an internal digital publishing system.

**** that. Unless you're describing actual diving (no not muff-diving you filthy lot) then don't use it. Just stop. We're not American (yet).
Muff Diving Club

Muff Diving Club was set up in the late 1980’s and has been one of the oldest and most successful scuba diving clubs in Ireland. So if you’re looking for a trip to Ireland and you fancy some Muff diving, then Muff is the place for you, and this site is where you start.

Muff is a village in County Donegal in the northwest of Ireland. A small number of us created our own Scuba Diving Club named after our town. When we launched our website we were inundated with hits. That got us thinking and, as a bet in the local pub, we said we are going to try and make our little club in a little town in Ireland the LARGEST SCUBA DIVING CLUB in the World.

Yes, it's real.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:23 pm Muff Diving Club

Muff Diving Club was set up in the late 1980’s and has been one of the oldest and most successful scuba diving clubs in Ireland. So if you’re looking for a trip to Ireland and you fancy some Muff diving, then Muff is the place for you, and this site is where you start.

Muff is a village in County Donegal in the northwest of Ireland. A small number of us created our own Scuba Diving Club named after our town. When we launched our website we were inundated with hits. That got us thinking and, as a bet in the local pub, we said we are going to try and make our little club in a little town in Ireland the LARGEST SCUBA DIVING CLUB in the World.

Yes, it's real.
A friend of mine comes from near Muff and when she was last home,she sent us loads of photos of shop names like Muff hairdressers etc
Incredibly childish,but amusing nonetheless.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Someone just sent me an email with "happy new year" at the beginning.
dodgy dave
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by dodgy dave »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:31 am Someone just sent me an email with "happy new year" at the beginning.
Are they Chinese?
OFT
Has liked: 2994 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

dodgy dave wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 am Are they Chinese?
:grin:
That's tickled me
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:23 pm Muff Diving Club
LARGEST SCUBA DIVING CLUB in the World.[/i]
I'm guessing people have just joined that under the illusion it was ... ahem ... something else :chin:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

woodgreenspur wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 am A friend of mine comes from near Muff and when she was last home,she sent us loads of photos of shop names like Muff hairdressers etc
Incredibly childish,but amusing nonetheless.
So childish......if I was there I would be sending lots of pictures to friends and family as well :coolas:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:04 am So childish......if I was there I would be sending lots of pictures to friends and family as well :coolas:
'Muff All You Can Eat'
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

The slightly rotund TikToker (I'm assuming) that has appeared in my gym, yes my gym, post January resolutions being made.
That has her phone on a large tripod and videos herself dancing around my gym, yes my gym.

I really want to throw a dumb-bell at the tripod, but fear I am just a grumpy old man.
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:05 pm Yeah, we even have a scrum master who takes them. :cried: Apparently that and "kan-bans" are the in thing where I work. I think they should be renamed to yawn-fests as all they do is prevent me from actually doing the work they're discussing.
The bit of Agile terminology that really needs rebranding is the action of "grooming the backlog"

Also having stand ups pre-Covid times, you know, where you all went in a room and stood up for a short meeting. Post-Covid we are all at WFH and most definitely not standing up during calls.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

People saying they are "excited for" things, E.G. "I'm really excited for my holiday". I think this is something I'm just going to have to put up with, as it's so common now, but I swear that, up until about 5-10 yeas ago, people were excited about things.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:04 pm People saying they are "excited for" things, E.G. "I'm really excited for my holiday". I think this is something I'm just going to have to put up with, as it's so common now, but I swear that, up until about 5-10 yeas ago, people were excited about things.
How many more sleeps do they need to wait for their holiday?