Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Mothers' Day is (yet another) American invention, but Mothering Sunday is a very old English tradition tied to Lent

From inews

The origins of Mothering Sunday lie in the Middle Ages, when [on the fourth Sunday of Lent] children who had left their families to work in domestic service were allowed to go to their home – or “mother” – church.

So initially, the “mothering” aspect of the occasion had no connection to the way mothers are celebrated today.

However, the journey home inevitably became an occasion for families to reunite, with the custom developing for children to pick flowers en route to give as a gift to their mothers.

The date took on a further celebratory air because it was traditionally an occasion for the fasting rules of Lent to be relaxed, allowing revellers a long-awaited feast.
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

Middle lane hoggers. There is no excuse for such abhorent behaviour.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:28 pm Middle lane hoggers. There is no excuse for such abhorent behaviour.
For the most part, I agree - but - I have found myself doing this more and more recently when I'm driving on motorways and dual carriageways after dark - simply because of the poxy state lane one is usually in from poxy potholes or broken up surface....
jastons

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 pm For the most part, I agree - but - I have found myself doing this more and more recently when I'm driving on motorways and dual carriageways after dark - simply because of the poxy state lane one is usually in from poxy potholes or broken up surface....
I'm sure given your driving experience that you travel at a decent speed, are aware of the vehicles around you etc. I have only recently passed my test but regularly see cars travelling at 45 - 50 mph in the middle lane in broad daylight.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

jastons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:42 pm I'm sure given your driving experience that you travel at a decent speed, are aware of the vehicles around you etc. I have only recently passed my test but regularly see cars travelling at 45 - 50 mph in the middle lane in broad daylight.
Bit quick for the high street surely?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:42 pm I'm sure given your driving experience that you travel at a decent speed, are aware of the vehicles around you etc. I have only recently passed my test but regularly see cars travelling at 45 - 50 mph in the middle lane in broad daylight.
Yes, that's a fair point. 👍
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Just watched a programme on iPlayer where Lineker, Shearer & Richards rank the best penalty takers in Premier League history.

Surprisingly, Dicksy came 5th but Mark Noble never even made the list! One of the best penalty takers in Europe over the past 10 years and they rank Ivan Toney above him?!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:22 am Just watched a programme on iPlayer where Lineker, Shearer & Richards rank the best penalty takers in Premier League history.

Surprisingly, Dicksy came 5th but Mark Noble never even made the list! One of the best penalty takers in Europe over the past 10 years and they rank Ivan Toney above him?!
Let me guess - Le Tissier, Shearer, Dicks, Van Nistelrooy were in there yeah?

Cant argue with Toney right now, but let's see how many he has scored over 5/6 seasons.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

Apparently I'm getting promoted at work but there's no pay rise to go with it. :eh:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Wife txt me the TV not working

Video called her , fixed it in 2 mins

A word of thanks?

Not a chance

Just moaning that it wasn't working

Should have left it lol 😂
jastons

Post by jastons »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:44 pm Should have left it lol 😂
That would be taking energy saving to the extreme even for you
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:36 pm Let me guess - Le Tissier, Shearer, Dicks, Van Nistelrooy were in there yeah?

Cant argue with Toney right now, but let's see how many he has scored over 5/6 seasons.
LeTiss won quite right 53/54 is some record. BBC PUNDIT Danny Murphy came 3rd.....

RvN didn't make the list but Toney (9/9 so far) did, as did Jorghino whose record is nowhere near Nobles
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Stopped on the M1 services at Corley yesterday.

When we returned to the car, some bloke was leaning on the back of the car with his foot on the bumper having a smoke.

I asked politely (although inside I was ****ing raging) if he could remove himself. He replied with "sorry mate, I didn't realise"

What didn't he realise, it was someone else's car, the ****ing spastic!!
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Mega Ron wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:59 am Massive rookie error there. It is not about what the children get for their mother. It is about what you do for her. That includes making sure the horrible ***** fawn over her and the miracle of her being: (1) when the dragon decides the time is appropriate to pretty much sneak downstairs to catch everyone off guard, and (2) for most of the day.

Every day is mother's day. It is. We all know it.
My ex has always been a complete bitch and drama queen over her birthday, mothering Sunday or any other day when she is "entitled to be pampered"; my birthday and father's day got forgotten several times whilst we were together but apparently that is different.

Now my lads are adults I know they still get crap over it, despite doing far more for her than she deserves. To be honest it does piss me off slightly that they don't send my wife a card as she is far more of a "mother" to them than their biological mum, actually caring for them and making sure they are ok (like a parent should).
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

E5 finance software. The strapline on the front page is "Making the complex simple"

They're surely taking the piss?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

I am genuinely crap at remembering dates. I'm 47 years old and still can't remember the exact dates of my mum and dads birthday __-

i forgot my brother & sisters birthday once , which is especially bad as im born on the same day as them
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

smuts wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 pm E5 finance software. The strapline on the front page is "Making the complex simple"

They're surely taking the piss?
I hate nonsensical advertising straplines; my current bugbears are:

- Change a little, change a lot
- Tomorrow begins today
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

jastons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:42 pm I'm sure given your driving experience that you travel at a decent speed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Buying new laptop (which is very good)only to find out most laptops these days don't have CD/DVD facilities

Oh well
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

woodgreenspur wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:24 pm Buying new laptop (which is very good)only to find out most laptops these days don't have CD/DVD facilities

Oh well
Ever since they decided to make Laptops slimmer and slimmer the old sliding doors had to go .

You now need an USB DVD Drive , they're not expensive . Even I can work one . :grin: