Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

last.caress wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:58 am In my experience Eggy I reckon a lot more mates do it than people might initially think. The "friend" dynamic works in favour of each party from their individual perspectives. From the perspective of the lender, it's "If he was any sort of mate he'd pay me"; from the perspective of the loanee, it's "If he was any sort of mate he'd understand my predicament and give me more leeway/let me off altogether". I'm not suggesting you're wrong here eggs - you're definitely not wrong, at all. He should definitely have paid you as agreed - but it's for precisely this reason that I've never lent out money to mates with any expectations of ever seeing that money again. That way if they do pay it back, it feels almost like a bonus. If I feel like we're at a point where not seeing that money back will come between us, I won't lend it to begin with.
I'm at the point where I'm inclined to advise other mates about it as a warning not to lend him anymore.

Sad when it gets to that stage. 😞
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Transfer Thread - enter at own risk

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:22 pm Transfer Thread - enter at own risk

Thought this was at the end of Warp's mums bed
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

people abuse others good nature when borrowing money , they see a weakness and capitalise on it .
S-H

Post by S-H »

chigwells finest wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am people abuse others good nature when borrowing money , they see a weakness and capitalise on it .
I don't think helping someone out should be seen as a weakness.

Just c**** being c****.
westham,eggyandchips

chigwells finest wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am people abuse others good nature when borrowing money , they see a weakness and capitalise on it .
Like sharks. :thdn:

It's when they carry on as if everything's ok, knowing full well they've stitched you up is the real kicker!
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Exactly that Eggy. Going back to your point earlier about if it's worse when it's family - I guess it is - depends on length of piss taking and closeness maybe? I got guilted into the last round of borrowing - I won't go into the given reason it was needed on a public post, but I ended up giving them all of my money in my daily use bank account, including all of the overdraft that I never used - this was the day before going on holiday the next day - so used the credit card all holiday and was promised pay back within 6 months.

At the airport departure gate I then get a message from another family member saying they had just had a call from said person asking for money for the exact same reason they gave me - and the same amount....so just playing off the family heart strings and taking the piss in order to get out of a position they put themselves in and no amount of offered non-monetary help was being accepted.

Despite all that, I have mates I would bend over backwards for if they needed it, and would do the same again. But then I trust them more than someone who has been leaching off of me for 30 years.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I’ve got a sweet shop in Melton Mowbray, like all town centres, it’s getting harder and harder to keep a place going, my scarf sales subsidise the shop in reality.
The local BID group try various initiatives and fund different events and festivals throughout the year. They’re about to launch a third trail, participating shops display a sticker in their window and people collect the pictures, with barcodes, on their phone or sheet and then get something, I have no idea what. The first 2 were a complete waste of time but I always agree to join in because the group are trying something.
This morning I received the following email, this at
a time of increasing prices, less footfall in most shopping centres throughout the UK, this is what this plum suggests,

‘Hi,
Thank you so much for volunteering to take part in our trail!
Hopefully, you'll see many families and groups visiting your window sticker on the trail. If you're a business that would like to get players into your venue while they're there please consider adding a little incentive for them.
If you'd like to add any kind of offer, like a 2 for 1 or discount voucher, please just send it to me. We can only add text for this so please consider adding something like 'Quote this code #### to redeem the offer.'
We'll add this to the platform so that players see this when they scan your QR code.’

This w*nker is getting paid to make suggestions like this!
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

last.caress wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:54 am One year, we're going to have a perfect window, acquire all of our targets nice and early, and the subsequent thread will be under 500 pages long and full of smiley emojis. Ah, happy day.
And then bottom of the table by Christmas! :rofl:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Hammer.CA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:57 pm I’ve got a sweet shop in Melton Mowbray, like all town centres, it’s getting harder and harder to keep a place going, my scarf sales subsidise the shop in reality.
The local BID group try various initiatives and fund different events and festivals throughout the year. They’re about to launch a third trail, participating shops display a sticker in their window and people collect the pictures, with barcodes, on their phone or sheet and then get something, I have no idea what. The first 2 were a complete waste of time but I always agree to join in because the group are trying something.
This morning I received the following email, this at
a time of increasing prices, less footfall in most shopping centres throughout the UK, this is what this plum suggests,

‘Hi,
Thank you so much for volunteering to take part in our trail!
Hopefully, you'll see many families and groups visiting your window sticker on the trail. If you're a business that would like to get players into your venue while they're there please consider adding a little incentive for them.
If you'd like to add any kind of offer, like a 2 for 1 or discount voucher, please just send it to me. We can only add text for this so please consider adding something like 'Quote this code #### to redeem the offer.'
We'll add this to the platform so that players see this when they scan your QR code.’

This w*nker is getting paid to make suggestions like this!
'Sweet purchasers will automatically qualify for the chance to buy a lovely West Ham United scarf'.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

The PL football season.. 10 minutes of Dion Dublin on 5live and then 20 minutes at the end of the game last night. I'm just done with it, so 'hyped' so fake and I'm just so past it. WWE has more integrity to be honest. Maybe I'm just getting old and even more miserable... now where are those clouds to shout at.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Just tell your mate Eggs that you've sold the debt. And not to those nice gentlemen who appear on Channel 5 programmes.
westham,eggyandchips

Jonah wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:24 am Exactly that Eggy. Going back to your point earlier about if it's worse when it's family - I guess it is - depends on length of piss taking and closeness maybe? I got guilted into the last round of borrowing - I won't go into the given reason it was needed on a public post, but I ended up giving them all of my money in my daily use bank account, including all of the overdraft that I never used - this was the day before going on holiday the next day - so used the credit card all holiday and was promised pay back within 6 months.

At the airport departure gate I then get a message from another family member saying they had just had a call from said person asking for money for the exact same reason they gave me - and the same amount....so just playing off the family heart strings and taking the piss in order to get out of a position they put themselves in and no amount of offered non-monetary help was being accepted.

Dude, thats awful. :thdn:

This 'mate' in particular has been acting like a bit of an ****hole to a lot of people we know I've just found out. I'm wondering if there could be a mental issue.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 pm The PL football season.. 10 minutes of Dion Dublin on 5live and then 20 minutes at the end of the game last night. I'm just done with it, so 'hyped' so fake and I'm just so past it. WWE has more integrity to be honest. Maybe I'm just getting old and even more miserable... now where are those clouds to shout at.
Nah wolf, you just know what 'The Emperor', really is wearing..
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I helped a family member out (the in laws) as they were behind on their rent many years ago.

It was quite a large some of money but what can you do say no, when they have said they will pay it back next payday.

I knew they were going on holiday but assumed this had all been paid for previously.

On their return they showed us pictures and videos of what they did on holiday, jet skiing , safaris, boat trip, quad bike hire and telling us how great it was and what a great time it was.

Really p*ssed me off as they was no mentioned of the money they owed me and I never got it all back yet they still spent what money they had on non essential items.

I never lent anyone from the wife's side of the family money again.

It's not just money but I have lent them things which have either been returned in a horrible state, broken or they told me they threw it out (no replacement bought either) as it no longer worked.

I'm not the only one they have taken money off and never paid it back, yet we seemed to be the bad guys for asking it back.

Borrow money from they, like a tenner when I didn't have any cash one me and I used to get harassed the day after to pay it back.

I hate freeloaders or people that spend money as soon as they get it and then moan that they have no money and plead broke.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

They sound like real treasures Harlow. :furrow:
S-H

Post by S-H »

After reading the last few pages, there's a lesson to be learnt here, I think.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Round here, people say "Can you borrow me.??!! ..". To which I reply..
" Neither physically, nor grammatically"....

... No one likes me.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

You can always judge someone by how quick they pay you back or similar, even in work I guard bits in my office and desk area etc, you know if someone borrows your charger, you'll never see it again or silly bits like stationery
dodgy dave
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by dodgy dave »

:crossed:
S-H wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:15 am After reading the last few pages, there's a lesson to be learnt here, I think.
Yeah, you can borrow money from fellow kumbers and not worry about paying it back