Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by vietnammer »

Increasing trend of photo-shopped 'historical' pics on FB showing construction workers nonchalantly walking and having lunch on 6" wide girders at considerable heights, prompting the inevitable 'no health and safety in them days' remarks.
A famous one that you must all have seen is of the New York workers enjoying a break on a girder seemingly suspended from a crane is pre-internet, but long identified as a hoax.
Will we never learn?

This is good though: https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/e/escher.asp
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^^^THIS!!!!

I saw one today with the obligatory comments deriding health and safety, and so wanted to comment and ask as to why the ****ing bellends seem to think people going to work and having the chance of them being killed or maimed reduced to almost zero a bad thing?

Was it the one where the blokes were painting Liverpool Street Station roof girders?

Because I've seen that before on rail forums, and it's genuine.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

vietnammer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:18 pm Increasing trend of photo-shopped 'historical' pics on FB showing construction workers nonchalantly walking and having lunch on 6" wide girders at considerable heights, prompting the inevitable 'no health and safety in them days' remarks.
A famous one that you must all have seen is of the New York workers enjoying a break on a girder seemingly suspended from a crane is pre-internet, but long identified as a hoax.
Will we never learn?

This is good though: https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/e/escher.asp
This one?

Not a hoax, but it was set up as a publicity stunt

Lunch atop a Skyscraper is a black-and-white photograph taken on September 20, 1932, of eleven ironworkers sitting on a steel beam 850 feet (260 meters) above the ground on the sixty-ninth floor of the RCA Building in Manhattan, New York City. It was arranged as a publicity stunt, part of a campaign promoting the skyscraper. The photograph was first published in October 1932 during the construction of Rockefeller Center. It was later acquired by Corbis Images in 1995.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Bet they hadn't done the induction.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:00 pm This one?

No health and safety back then.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Back in the 90s me and a few chums were doing a demolition job on a supermarket,no health and safety,kangos banging away,ripping freezer walls apart and throwing them down a hole in the floor to a colleague,going to the pub for a few at lunchtime then back to it semi-pissed for more fun,not a hint of a hi-vis,goggles,masks,nuffink.

We were probably lucky no one was hurt or killed.

I’m all for a bit of protection at work,the people who don’t seem to like it have probably never done any dangerous graft in their lives… Arsehloes.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, to get a job done.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:00 pm This one?

Now I don't mind heights as long as there's a decent barrier around me. If I was in that picture, I'd be the one clinging on for dear life screaming like a tart!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:31 pmNow I don't mind heights as long as there's a decent barrier around me. If I was in that picture, I'd be the one clinging on for dear life screaming like a tart!
I'd be the one that has poo coming out of his arse splattering on to the floor below.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I had that picture in a frame when I was about 16. Bought it from Ikea for about a tenner.

Always liked it for some reason (the picture, not Ikea).
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Health and safety has meant deaths at construction sites has gone from 250 a year to 50. That's a lot of families not unnecessarily mourning brothers, sisters, dad's, aunties etc.

I helped my brother move once and ratchet strapped all the furniture so it wouldn't move in the van. His looked at me like I was from outer space and said that my brother had told her I was Health and safety mad. I told her I just wanted the load to stay there and not crush me to death in an emergency situation.

It's not rocket science.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I remember working on refurb of a 100+ year old house in Stamford Hill back in the 1980s. The roof had been completely stripped off, batons, felt and slate - the lot and I was tasked with rebuilding a chimney stack that had seen better days. No scaffolding on site and I was perched precariously on these 100+ year old rafters which I thought had seen better days. If one had have snapped from under me there was a roughly 90ft drop and it would have been curtains for me, no doubt about that. The thing was, there really was no health and safety back then and you were just expected to get on with it. I shudder when I think about it now but back then it was the norm.

That wasn't even the worst scenario I've found myself in during my time in the building trade. Some of the scaffolds that were lashed up for me to work on were lethal and I remember one particular site in Woolwich that I was working on a scaffold that had been loaded out with 9inch concrete blocks just fall backwards away from a wall and come crashing down from a considerable height. How nobody was killed I'll never know as our gang of brickies just happened to be on the adjacent scaffold that had been tied in properly and nobody was immediately underneath.

I saw a ground worker lose a foot on a site in West Kensington when an excavator driver misjudged the reach of the shovel and severed his ankle.

I saw a bloke almost lose an eye with a Hilti gun when a nail he was firing into a metal frame cramp he was fixing to some brickwork came flying back at him and cut the side of his face open just below his eye. From then on, everyone using the Hilti wore the goggles that were supplied.

I was working on the refurb of the Royal Lancaster Hotel in Lancaster Gate in 1989 and saw a labourer lose two fingers when the concrete lintel he was carrying came crashing down on his hand. He was back at work two weeks later as he couldn't afford the time off.

We'd regularly pull ceilings down with all kinds of dust and crap floating around without wearing any masks or eye protection. These old ceilings were made with lime and sand and if you got the dust in your eyes the pain was very intense. I still wonder if there was asbestos in any of them houses that we might have disturbed.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

[quote="Johnny Byrne's Boots" post_id=6277927

Not a hoax
[/quote]

I stand corrected JBB
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm I'd be the one that has poo coming out of his arse splattering on to the floor below.
I'd be the one far left that you can't see cos he's fell off. . probably hitting that girder below on the way down.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

My daughters use of room lights. Turns them on a complete daylight and then leaves them on when she’s not in the room. I’ve going to start taking bulbs out
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Nearly had a fatality on one of my sites about 15 years ago where a gang with over 25 years experience and unblemished record couldn't be arsed to wait 5 minutes for the crane when striking formwork on a concrete wall and unbolted it before it was secured by the crane.

Come crashing down and one of them was lucky just to escape with a broken leg.

All for saving 5 minutes on a mid week afternoon.

H & S has improved massively in the last 20 years thank god. We spend hours doing inspections, audits, independent audits etc which becomes wearing but at least everyone goes home safe at night.

Hundreds on site, inductions, audits, tier one contractors and decent well paid subbies...and you still get someone bowling round the site with trainers on. :fsake:
Last edited by smuts on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:36 am My daughters use of room lights. Turns them on a complete daylight and then leaves them on when she’s not in the room. I’ve going to start taking bulbs out
Do we share daughter's? My youngest is as good as gold but does this constantly.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Daughters? Bloody hell my Mrs still does it!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm I'd be the one that has poo coming out of his arse splattering on to the floor below.
Was just thinking the same it would have made a great advert for toilet paper
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 am Daughters? Bloody hell my Mrs still does it!
Same here, drives me potty!

She leaves the TV on when she goes out. It's annoying hearing it when I'm working upstairs as it's faint enough that I'm not entirely sure until I check, but more annoying is when she has casted Netflix or something so when she leaves it stays on but on the Chromecast screen.

She leaves lights on all the time, doesn't put her toothbrush or toothpaste back in the pots, hairclips everywhere, clothes tags left on the side when removed, knife left on the new marble worktops when she's made a sandwich rather than put it in the dishwasher (that I empty first thing in the morning), empty tea mug on the side.

Most annoyingly, since having our second child, she is malting like a bloody Labrador, leaving a nice little tuft of hair on the side after a shower.

Felt good to rant, back to work.