Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by smuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:53 pm Yesterday our bedroom had a lath and plaster ceiling. Today it has a lath ceiling. Mid morning there was a terrific crash from upstairs, about half the plaster had fallen off and was covering everything, including the pillows where we had been sleeping not too many hours previously.

From my very little knowledge about such things, it looked like the plaster hadn't been forced through the laths to form some sort of retaining projection, just laid on about three quarters of an inch thick presumably relying on pure adhesion with a skim of smoother stuff over it, and after almost a hundred years gravity finally won.

I was astonished at how heavy it is as I made a couple of trips to the tip (that's builder's rubble mate, eight quid. Times two). Mrs. Boots and I had a narrow escape, that weight of plaster falling on us could and would have caused nasty injuries.

I'll have a read of our house insurance tomorrow but I'm not holding out much hope. One thing's certain; the new ceiling will be plasterboard, or at least it won't be plaster.
Glad you are okay.

The old lath and plaster ceilings are notorious for this. Might be worth checking your insurance just in case it was caused by a leak instead of old age... :arry:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Sadly there's no hope of finding a handy leak, the house was built with three storeys. There's another bedroom above ours :furrow:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I plasterboardered over lath & plaster in a couple of rooms a few years ago. It was one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done, fortunately I was just helping my mate, who's a superb plasterer, but f*ck me, that was a hard bit of graft, that. Looks the absolute business, though.

I guess you'll know where the joists are if everything's come down, but make sure you get a laser so you know where to put the screws in once the boards are offered up. Ask me how I know that...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

It won't be me doing it. That's if any of the builders who promise to call me back/come round for a look will do what ninety percent of them I've dealt with have failed to do and actually turn up.

More hope than expectation.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Samba wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:13 pm Mine too. Trying to find a replacement is proving to be more difficult than I would have ever imagined..
Oh it's a massive pain, I've just got one which now matches but annoyingly is a touch smaller so I know when I get round to putting it on I'll probably have some touching up to do on the door. :oops:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

V-M wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:35 am Cheers for the thought mate but I'm up in Peterborough.
We're fully remote working at the moment mate and will be for the foreseeable. Just saying.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:53 pm Yesterday our bedroom had a lath and plaster ceiling. Today it has a lath ceiling. Mid morning there was a terrific crash from upstairs, about half the plaster had fallen off and was covering everything, including the pillows where we had been sleeping not too many hours previously.

From my very little knowledge about such things, it looked like the plaster hadn't been forced through the laths to form some sort of retaining projection, just laid on about three quarters of an inch thick presumably relying on pure adhesion with a skim of smoother stuff over it, and after almost a hundred years gravity finally won.

I was astonished at how heavy it is as I made a couple of trips to the tip (that's builder's rubble mate, eight quid. Times two). Mrs. Boots and I had a narrow escape, that weight of plaster falling on us could and would have caused nasty injuries.

I'll have a read of our house insurance tomorrow but I'm not holding out much hope. One thing's certain; the new ceiling will be plasterboard, or at least it won't be plaster.
Ouch! I've pulled a few ceiling down in my time working on the building trade years ago and believe me, the dust will be horrendous when the rest has to come down. You'll be sweeping and hoovering for months and it'll get everywhere. I'd advise you remove EVERYTHING out of the room, open all the windows and if you can, seal the doorway. The "cement" used on these is actually just sand and lime mixed with horse hair (which supposedly provides extra bonding and prevent cracking and shrinkage).
Word of advice if you want to save some money, do the plaster boarding yourself. Pretty easy with two people, I plasterboarded my studio on my own for the most part, just needed help with the ceilings as I was using acoustic plasterboard which weighs an 'effin ton! I had my studio plastered (walls and all) for £350. He did a cracking job. Oh it'll take a week to dry, leave the radiators on but not too hot otherwise it'll dry too quickly and crack. Don't paint the plaster until it's fully dry EVERYWHERE, otherwise your paint will just peel off. Use a plaster primer coat first, then emulsion. :newthumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Thanks GCRO. I'll definitely be paying someone to do the job, doing my bit for the economy :winker:

The stuff that fell down had no horsehair or hair of any description, just what looked like crumbly mortar. A slab of it say a foot long held horizontally would break under its own weight, which is quite considerable. Because the house is three floors, there's a void rather than a filthy loft above it so it wasn't too bad on the cleaning up front. A pair of gardening giant hands followed by a Dyson Animal and a Vax Henry lookalike did a decent job.

The best news is I had a few guitars on display in the room on the floor and when I pulled the debris off them there wasn't a scratch on any of them! I was astonished. I was especially terrified about the Epiphone Les Paul Junior and the fifty year old plus EKO accoustic but they survived unmarked as did the rest :scarfer:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

A dead rat in the house (again) that I can't find and probably won't be able to get to without smashing walls down with a sledgehammer or pulling up carpets and floorboards.

Stinks.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Fair enough if you're not confident in doing it mate. It's not as difficult as it sounds though, if a twat like me can do it, anyone can.

Good news on the guitars too .. :bump:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:14 pm A dead rat in the house (again) that I can't find and probably won't be able to get to without smashing walls down with a sledgehammer or pulling up carpets and floorboards.

Stinks.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Hairy, Japanese b*stards... :crylol:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Doesn't so much irritate me as it does bemuse me since I've no skin in this game, but: My street is a long sort-of dogleg with a tiny sharp left at the top which ends in a hammerhead which fits maybe eight cars. At that hammerhead is my daughter's primary school (well, the entrances to the nursery and years 1 & 2 anyway). Now, at 8.30am when everyone is going into school, my street is pretty much empty of cars. Outside my own maisonnette block, only one minute walk from the school (I literally leave my house at 8.29am to have my girl in nursery for 8.30am), there are ten empty car park spaces. That's outside my block alone, and that's the case more-or-less all the way down the street at that time of the morning.

So where do you suppose every single parent driving to that school tries to park? Yup, in that 8-car hammerhead.

My entire street is a utopia of empty spaces and, even at the furthest end, they're only maybe five minutes' walk from the school gates. And yet, car after car after car piles into that tiny hammerhead, creating Gordian Knot-level snarl-ups, day after day after day. Every one of them driving past dozens upon dozens of spaces, just to get as near to the gates as possible, turning that hammerhead into one of those irritating tile puzzles every time.

Mindbending.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Samba wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:24 pm Hairy, Japanese b*stards... :crylol:
:newthumb: The script writers were/are brilliant, talk about random. Where on earth did they come up with that line..? :crylol:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:06 pm Ouch! I've pulled a few ceiling down in my time working on the building trade years ago and believe me.....
Looking to do something similar on our stairs, it’s not lathe and plaster, but expanded mesh and plaster.

To me it just looks old fashioned as they have got unnecessary curves and sh*t and I'm sure that you could improve on the ceiling height if it was redone.

Also means I can't fit any lighting on the stairs as the stuff it just way too difficult to work with (hole-saws don't work well with the stuff, the fact there's no straight edges means it is difficult to plumb a line for the lights to be nice and even and the mesh means fishing cables over the top of the stuff, or stitching cables becomes a nightmare), so was planning on tearing it down and refitting with boards.

Be a case of buying up the gear and giving it a bash next spring.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:44 am Looking to do something similar on our stairs, it’s not lathe and plaster, but expanded mesh and plaster.

To me it just looks old fashioned as they have got unnecessary curves and sh*t and I'm sure that you could improve on the ceiling height if it was redone.

Also means I can't fit any lighting on the stairs as the stuff it just way too difficult to work with (hole-saws don't work well with the stuff, the fact there's no straight edges means it is difficult to plumb a line for the lights to be nice and even and the mesh means fishing cables over the top of the stuff, or stitching cables becomes a nightmare), so was planning on tearing it down and refitting with boards.

Be a case of buying up the gear and giving it a bash next spring.
There must have been a reason they've done it like that, possibly wiring or something else. Worth cutting a big enough hole first just to make sure. If there's something that'll prevent you from pulling the whole lot down it'd be best to check first rather than pull the whole lot down and then find out you have to replace the lot in the exact same manner. If it was done purely for aesthetic reasons then you'll be fine.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Tradesmen and women that are unable to turn up for an appointment or return a call or text message. Just turn the work down, IDGAF, but stop wasting my time.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^^So so true. The economy must be a lot better then we're being told if so many can pass up so much work.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:23 pm I plasterboardered over lath & plaster in a couple of rooms a few years ago.
That's exactly what the plasterer I used years ago did.

He showed me the scars on his head from past attempts to pull it down. He said if you do it, it basically starts to "run" and in most cases, you run like f**k to get out of the room!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:52 pm That's exactly what the plasterer I used years ago did.

He showed me the scars on his head from past attempts to pull it down. He said if you do it, it basically starts to "run" and in most cases, you run like f**k to get out of the room!
We used to knock a bit out of one end and stick a long length of 4x2 or 6x2 in and just hang off it and bring it down in sections. The dust is something else and very harsh on the throat and eyes due to the lime in the mortar mix.