Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by Shabu »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:55 pm You're talking about normal beans now I presume? :crossed:
Now that's a whole other can of worms (beans).

American baked beans are runny & sweet. Not good. If I want baked beans I buy our ones in a Greek sauce that we sell at work.

Or nip to the Indian grocery store & get Heinz ones.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I once set about a recipe for Louisiana baked beans.

Well worth the effort, slow-cooked, with bacon, onion, etc.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Don't eat much meat, but that's ^^ bang on the mark, IMO. In the slow cooker with a bit of chirizo...
Might have to do that this weekend :newthumb:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:04 am Don't eat much meat, but that's ^^ bang on the mark, IMO. In the slow cooker with a bit of chirizo...
Might have to do that this weekend :newthumb:
Is soy chorizo a thing in the UK? Very popular here...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Long story short, we seem to have adopted a cat that lives on the estate but does not want to go back to his other home (which seems to have a lot of cats in it). He's been kipping at ours for a few weeks now but seems to have been a bit within himself at times. Eating and sleeping and getting fussed but not really doing all the things you'd expect from a cat.

Anyway, last night he came back and Mrs Sendo opened the door to discover he had a mouse in his mouth. He's finally doing cat stuff.

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:06 am Is soy chorizo a thing in the UK? Very popular here...
Soy chorizo? No, not heard of that crazy Hispanic/Far East mash up yet!

I did cook a Japanese beef dish with sweet soy sauce last weekend, though, where you are told to slice as fine as possible a steak or two and add it only for a minute or so, at the end of the dish.

Everyone's plate was totally cleared, so it was a hit!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:17 pm Both of our kids have already mentioned that they want to inherit it, when we move on!!
Apparently that's a thing in the USA, they're handed down through the years and generations.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:06 amAnyway, last night he came back and Mrs Sendo opened the door to discover he had a mouse in his mouth. He's finally doing cat stuff.
<pats cat on head> “good boy”, before ****ing out & trying to work out how far you need to take a mouse away from your home to ensure it doesn’t return
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:06 am Is soy chorizo a thing in the UK? Very popular here...
There’s a few veggie/vegan versions of Chorizo available. Not sure if that’s what you meant.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Viz - represents increasingly poor value for money, but still buy every issue. I reckon I've kept them afloat, single-handedly, since 1988.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 am <pats cat on head> “good boy”, before ****ing out & trying to work out how far you need to take a mouse away from your home to ensure it doesn’t return
With us its normally sick the mouse (remains) in a bag, then drop off in the bin. There was one time I managed to save a mouse, just threw it out the window and thought best of luck to you, but sod having to walk it away to safety - wouldn't work anyways, too many cats around here.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:53 pm With us its normally sick the mouse (remains) in a bag, then drop off in the bin. There was one time I managed to save a mouse, just threw it out the window and thought best of luck to you, but sod having to walk it away to safety - wouldn't work anyways, too many cats around here.
When my cat can be bothered to bring any live mice in, we stick the mouse in a box & walk over to the river and let it loose on the far side of the riverbank. No idea if that's a good idea or not, it'll probably end up being food for an owl or maybe one of the snakes we occasionally see gliding across the Wey.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm Viz - represents increasingly poor value for money, but still buy every issue. I reckon I've kept them afloat, single-handedly, since 1988.
I had no idea Viz was still going. I stopped buying it about 25 years ago when it "wasn't as funny as it used to be".
Has liked: 4592 likes
Total likes: 1548 likes

Post by Sticky »

Pork belly slices, dark greens, mash and gravy...

.. a toothpick for afters.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:33 am There’s a few veggie/vegan versions of Chorizo available. Not sure if that’s what you meant.
Yes, it's massively popular at my shop. Even meat eaters love it. Fantastic in an omelette.

They even sell it in the Mexican supermarkets
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm Viz - represents increasingly poor value for money, but still buy every issue. I reckon I've kept them afloat, single-handedly, since 1988.
I buy it every time I travel, as it kills a few hours. I also buy the specials for xmas etc. Last issue i thought SAR Rogue NHS workers was top drawer and had me loling on the train - much to the befuddlement of the people travelling on the same coach.

I also get Private Eye for teh return leg. Like Viz it still isn't as funny as it used to be but has some hidden gems in there, such as Rotten Boroughs.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Shabu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:36 pm Yes, it's massively popular at my shop. Even meat eaters love it. Fantastic in an omelette.

They even sell it in the Mexican supermarkets
You can get vegan Choritzo in the Uk - most decent supermarkets stock it. It's fab.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 pm You can get vegan Choritzo in the Uk - most decent supermarkets stock it. It's fab.
I made a Mexican Shepherds pie with it using roasted corn, peppers & sweet potato. Nice for a while then a bit rich.

What do Mexican shepherds tend? Alpacas?