Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

My missus finding out that I've got her listed as "Wifezilla" in my phone contacts.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

My kid’s first day at the Uk sprint regatta in Nottingham. Had an anxiety attack in her first race, bless her, but did well and got progressively better throughout the day. More races tomorrow, am very proud (and very knackered).
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:30 pm My kid’s first day at the Uk sprint regatta in Nottingham. Had an anxiety attack in her first race, bless her, but did well and got progressively better throughout the day. More races tomorrow, am very proud (and very knackered).
She's a great kid Dan, she will be fine, the experience will stand to her later on :heart:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Had a good day today, finishing 4th (of 7) in the K1 500m sprint - not bad, considering she was up against girls up to 5 years her senior, and her squad K4 finished a very respectable 8th 👍
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:38 pm I feel sorry for some of the yanks who ask genuine questions and then get destroyed.

The funniest one I read lately was:

"Has anybody moved to the UK and instantly regretted it?"

"Rudolf Hess" came the answer from a Brit :crylol:
Meghan Markle being the most obvious answer I'd have thought. :D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Getting sent a picture of a former mentor alive and well after receiving information a few months ago that he had passed away.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Pumpkin spiced lattes
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Finally reaching the threshold where by I can finally take action for discrimination.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

This is strangely mesmerising.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The dog in the background certainly thinks so.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

woodgreenspur wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:39 pm Quora is brilliant.
I used to love Quora, about 5(?) years ago, then they started paying people to post questions and it turned to utter dogshit. Haven't looked at it for years now, has it got over the plague of stupid questiosn drowning out all the good content? (Serious question, in case the tone isn't clear)
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Saw my nephews (12 and 16) in the midlands last weekend and beat them both at FIFA on the Xbox.

Hadn't played it properly since 2012, but my god did I enjoy giving them a beating.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:37 pm My missus finding out that I've got her listed as "Wifezilla" in my phone contacts.
My missus finding out that the ringtone that I have for her is an air-raid siren.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:21 pm I get daily notifications from Quora (it's a great app if you haven't already got it), anyway, I'm subscribed to a lot of history groups and this post, from a fella from Bristol and the replies, really did make me smile ... the title of the thread was "Name The Most British Thing Ever"
Christ on a bike, there are some f*****g morons on there. A couple of them might not be American 😳
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Getting down the pub, early doors, because your local pub has advertised on facebook that the prize pot for the Pub Quiz tonight is £286.40.

Waiting in the pub for the appropriate start time, confident in the knowledge that no one else has turned up. We are the only team there.

Asking the guvnor what happens next as we are the only team in the pub, only to find out that the prize pot is given by a pub of exactly the same name in Wolverhampton.

We live in Lincoln :)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Something very similar happened at work centuries ago. We were scheduled to do a Songs of Praise in St. Ives. You can fill in the rest yourselves.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:30 pm My kid’s first day at the Uk sprint regatta in Nottingham. Had an anxiety attack in her first race, bless her, but did well and got progressively better throughout the day. More races tomorrow, am very proud (and very knackered).
Nottingham: Holme Pierrpont? Brings back memories (of THAt national champs with all the debauchery thrown in). Horrible stretch of water for rowing: can get very, very choppy. Back in 2008 3 eights sank in one race at the national schools' championships:
The cox of one of our crews was very light so he had to carry ballast to make the minimum weight: plastic water bottles filled with the requisite amount of sand. The silly sod put them in the pockets of his cagoule, so if he'd sunk, he would have gone straight to the bottom of that horrible ex-gravel pit (no namby pamby life jackets in rowing...). He was a bit dim and could't understand the bollocking he got when we saw what he had done after the race. :shock:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Yeah was Holme Pierrepoint - fortunately, the weather was pretty benign, warm and a little close, but otherwise fine. Was mostly kayaks, but saw a few of those weird kneeling canoeists and some stand up paddleboarders. Our men's K4 capsized towards the end of their race, much to everyone's amusement.

Looking forward to next year already, was a great weekend, and we're already discussing going an extra day early so we can just all get sloshed and have a knees-up, which sounds jolly civilised.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So, owing to the need to arrange a wake for a sadly departed family member, my mum and me visited Old Brentwoods' Rugby Club today, up the Ongar Road.

They let us have a wander around the bar and I thought it would be interesting to have a peek at the trophies, shields etc in the glass cabinet.

Pride of place on the top shelf, The Snowflakes Cup!

Cheered me up on a sad occasion
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Forgetting to pay the Dartford crossing charge, then talking to my wife, where we find out still time to pay it. Yeah!!