Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by S-H »

Sounds like you would've passed pretty close to where I am mate, it is lovely around here, I feel extremely fortunate on days like today, but it's like anywhere really, has it's lovely spots, but also it's not so lovely spots.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:28 am Google maps took us a funny route home from Cornwall to Surrey on friday night. We normally go A303/M3, but it kept us on the M5. Assumed we'd join the M4 and go that way, but it took us off somewhere around Taunton and through Somerset, including a drive through the wonderfully-named Fivehead. Have to say, Somerset is a county I barely know, but I was struck by how pretty much of it was - little villages & hamlets with some incredible views. Can imagine it's a proper paradise this time of year.
Google maps did the same to me the other week when I was heading back from Wales with my boy. The M4 was stuffed, so it took us the long way through Gloucestershire and Wiltshire - the West Country is a stunning part of the world - although to be fair, away from the towns and cities, the UK is beautiful full stop.

I think we genuinely don't appreciate the beauty of what we have on our metaphorical door-steps.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2676 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:41 am

I think we genuinely don't appreciate the beauty of what we have on our metaphorical door-steps.

Jen has a pathological fear of flying after some experience of bad turbulence on a school flight to Belgium so most of our holidays have been UK based - we did do a Student Rail trip to Greece during our younger days and we've popped over to see friends in France on occasion but as a result of her fear of flying we've seen a lot of the UK - our honeymoon was spent in Suffolk [ due to lack of funds ] - we've done Devon and Cornwall several times [ Woolacombe mostly ] , Kent , Norfolk , Dorset , Somerset , Northumberland , Derbyshire , Yorkshire - visited the Lake District briefly , Wales and most of Scotland - never been to Lincolnshire , Buckinghamshire or Sussex [ though we did go to Brighton for a weekend with the Poly so technically I have ] , never been to Northern Ireland or Ireland despite living and working in Holyhead - as you say there are LOTS of pretty places in every country that make up the UK - I think we like to go abroad for the cultural differences , the food and the sunshine but to be honest with you it's been too hot for us up here of late so sod going to Spain or Greece this time of year , 20 degrees is more than hot enough for me .

Anyway , today's story that not only made me smile , it made me laugh out loud -

We were putting the finishing touches to the flat earlier this morning and as usual my little friend the blackbird kept following me until he was fed so I gave him a bit of left over prosciutto that our previous guests had left behind - he must have liked it as 10 minutes later he was back crapping all over the bench that's in front of the flat ....I shout out ' Right , you're beginning to get on my nerves now !! '

Jen calls out from the shower room ...' Sorry ' . :grin:

I had to explain to her that I was talking to the blackbird and that I'd never speak to her like that . :grin:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Buon Mamon petites tartlets (chocolate and caramel), bet you don't stop at one..
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1866 likes
Total likes: 2488 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:41 am Google maps did the same to me the other week when I was heading back from Wales with my boy. The M4 was stuffed, so it took us the long way through Gloucestershire and Wiltshire - the West Country is a stunning part of the world - although to be fair, away from the towns and cities, the UK is beautiful full stop.

I don't think there's any doubt that the UK, in early summer, is one of the single most beautiful places on the planet. The way the countryside bursts into life around May is something truly special - a symphony of colours, textures and patterns. Where southern Europe tends to be somewhat arid and sepia brown this time of year, Northern Europe's verdancy and extra long sunshine hours makes it uniquely handsome.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1866 likes
Total likes: 2488 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:32 am Sounds like you would've passed pretty close to where I am mate, it is lovely around here, I feel extremely fortunate on days like today, but it's like anywhere really, has it's lovely spots, but also it's not so lovely spots.
Well, all the spots we drove through were distinctly lovely. Made me very envious, even if I'm lucky to live in a nice part of north Surrey, for anyone that lives in the British countryside.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 pm I don't think there's any doubt that the UK, in early summer, is one of the single most beautiful places on the planet. The way the countryside bursts into life around May is something truly special - a symphony of colours, textures and patterns. Where southern Europe tends to be somewhat arid and sepia brown this time of year, Northern Europe's verdancy and extra long sunshine hours makes it uniquely handsome.
Years ago I was flying back into Heathrow and there were a couple of USAian late teens or early twenties girls in the row behind me. As we descended from out of the clouds at around five thousand feet the girl by the window just screamed, "Oh my God, the colours!" England in full autumn leaf mode :newthumb:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

My youngest daughter hit her first six at cricket this morning. She's absolutely buzzing.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:41 am Google maps did the same to me the other week when I was heading back from Wales with my boy. The M4 was stuffed, so it took us the long way through Gloucestershire and Wiltshire - the West Country is a stunning part of the world - although to be fair, away from the towns and cities, the UK is beautiful full stop.

Yes - these are very beautiful islands. Since lockdown started we’ve been exploring some parts that we’ve never been to before and are pretty glad that we have - some great places out there … the Malverns near Ledbury, Dumfries and Galloway, near Kircudbright; north -east Kent - Broadstairs; East Hampshire - Meon Valley; North-west Wales - Snowden; Northern Ireland - Antrim Coast.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Tonight's weather in London

Sun coming down

Dub reggae [Jah Shaka meets Mad Professor] playing out

Friends round

Post BBQ beers

:coolas:

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Igor_E7
Has liked: 1570 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

https://www.earthcam.com/world/czechrep ... dhotel_str

just saw 2 our lads in this cam; all others walking in raincoats and under umbrellas, ours in shorts and claret and blue kits, we are massive and waterproof! :scarfer:
The Old Man of Storr

Yesterday Jen fitted these -

https://www.linkedupalarms.com/smoke-al ... iMQAvD_BwE

Apparently it's now the law that every household in Scotland has to have them fitted though I was totally unaware of the fact .

There's a heat alarm , a smoke alarm , carbon monoxide alarm - think there were 5-6 of them in total - they're all suppose to be interlinked and the batteries are guaranteed to last 10 years .

Around 20 minutes ago they all went off apart from the one in Dan's room - I went to investigate in case his room was on fire but no everything was fine then 2 minutes later his alarm joined in the fun .

For the life of us we couldn't figure out what had caused it - there was nothing untoward going on in the kitchen or elsewhere but every bloody alarm went off at the same time so we had to take them all down to switch off .

Should have put this in the Irritate Thread . :grin:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:31 am Yesterday Jen fitted these -

https://www.linkedupalarms.com/smoke-al ... iMQAvD_BwE

Apparently it's now the law that every household in Scotland has to have them fitted though I was totally unaware of the fact .

There's a heat alarm , a smoke alarm , carbon monoxide alarm - think there were 5-6 of them in total - they're all suppose to be interlinked and the batteries are guaranteed to last 10 years .

Around 20 minutes ago they all went off apart from the one in Dan's room - I went to investigate in case his room was on fire but no everything was fine then 2 minutes later his alarm joined in the fun .

For the life of us we couldn't figure out what had caused it - there was nothing untoward going on in the kitchen or elsewhere but every bloody alarm went off at the same time so we had to take them all down to switch off .

Should have put this in the Irritate Thread . :grin:
I will just leave this here :grin:

I think it was that DIY BBQ you constructed Peter mate :shocker:

https://news.sky.com/story/smoke-from-m ... e-12893662

Smoke from massive wildfire near Cannich in the Scottish Highlands visible from space
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

A kids football session in a tiny village in rural North Wales.

Two Man Utd tops
Two Liverpool
One Man City

Three West Ham 8-)
sword
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

Today!
The Old Man of Storr

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:10 pm I will just leave this here :grin:

I think it was that DIY BBQ you constructed Peter mate :shocker:

https://news.sky.com/story/smoke-from-m ... e-12893662

Smoke from massive wildfire near Cannich in the Scottish Highlands visible from space

I just wanted to prove it was a portable barbeque kit .

Six square miles of land burnt away - a record apparently .

Might take it up Sutherland way next week . :grin:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

That I haven’t paid for BT Sport yet watched for free on YouTube tonight. Robbie Savage is an awful commentator.
The Old Man of Storr

West Ham United winning the Conference League Final made me smile a little .
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:21 am West Ham United winning the Conference League Final made me smile a little .
I’m still grinning. Think I’m going to be stuck like this for YEARS!