What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:29 am Remake of XIII, a game I've always wanted to play. Something about cell-shaded visuals makes them age remarkably well.

Turns out the game's a bit rubbish, sadly. EDIT - I take that back, I'm no longer stuck on a hard bit.
Finished it - rather good fun, as it goes.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

(The original) Yakuza, on the PS2.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Stll playing Raid:Shadow Legends and No Man's Sky.

I don't play raid with the intensity I originally played it, it's just a casual thing I can set to run in the background whilst I do something else.

NMS - I think I've hit a plateau and am getting bored with it. I've got my freighter, got my base, got my settlement and now all i do is go huntng for D hydrogen to power my starships to get their trade routes done. I've maxed out my weapon, maxed out my spaceship hold and personal hold. I've been on derelict freighters, I've interacted with aliens, finshed the quest where you "reset" the universe - and now there is not a lot to do.

The patches allow you do missions to get non in game benificial items - which in my mind is a good thing -such as decorative capes and helmets, but this is not my cup of tea. As is multi player missions - the next stuff hold nothing I am interested in. I am thinking of starting the game in hardcore, but on the other hand with the Steam Sale on I might be tempted elsewhere.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Just tried Chivalry 2 on gamepass. Good fun. Very complex combat system which just goes to put as soon as you are in a scrum with 10 other people!

Definitely something I could get into.
WHU Independent

Re No Man's Sky

In the end the developers made the desicion for me.

1) I couldn't log in properly via the auto save. The game crashed on my last save (350+ hours playing time) so I had to log in the game and reload the manual save I made (which was made 7 days ago, so I lost 7 days of progress.) That worked - that was bad enough but the worse was yet too come.

2) The first thing I noticed that my spaceship slots were nerfed. I could only use a handful of slots where before I could use loads. I was easy prey for even the most lowest rank of pirate, MY spaceship was effectively usless.

3) Then I realised my space suit was severly nerfed. I could only use a few slots which meant I would not have adequte protection from deadly amospheres' on the various planets any more and would die more often and easily. It was effectively useless.

4) Then it dawned on me that my freighter was nerfed. I didn't have enough space to utilise all the space drives you need to travel everywhere. My Freighter was effectively crippled.

5) I checked my inventory on my Frighter. Loads of stuff had vanished without any explanation.

6) I had some spare ship upgrades and suit upgrades. These didn't work properly when I tried them.

7) The gameplay was very jumpy and jerky.

At the end of the day I had loads of usless stuff that I had played 100's of hours for. All that time wasted. This has to be one of the worst upfrades in the history of gaming,

I tried to start again but my heart wasn't in it.

So I downloaded Dead Poly and am giving that a go now.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:54 pm Stll playing Raid:Shadow Legends and No Man's Sky.
I've kept with Raid too. It's been about a year and a half now.

I'm pretty much done with the game itself as I've beaten all the content, but my 'clan' are pretty funny on discord and mostly European.
WHU Independent

Dead Poly - it starts off as a simple zombie survival game, but I've got the feeling that there is a much more complex game inside.

I'm only about 10 hours in and already I've established a base - in a big block of flats - packed it out with goodies and a work bench and am trying to get mats to fortify - I've nly got temp barracades but they are holding and doing a job. If you don't have a light source the game goes pitch black at night, so I've found the best way to avoid being attacked in the dark is climb up to the top of a block of flats and wait it out (night lasts 10 mins in real time.)

I've died a few times but when you get the range of the zombies and iming it's a piece of piss to kill them.

A pre release game, the servers get wiped every now and then, but now I know what to to, and have a strategy, I won't mind. That said, if you live or die can depend on the random generation of such things as food and water but I've seemed to have lucked out.

Really enjoying it at the mo.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:02 am Re No Man's Sky
Not stuck it on for a while. Sounds like that may have been a good decision.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Just finished Control on PS5, supernatural 3rd person shooter from 2019 I think.

Satisfaction of getting a Platinum trophy is always great!
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

GTA Vice City - definitive edition on PS5
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Spent nearly the whole weekend playing the campaign for CoD MW2 on the PS5 - absolutely loved it. Clocked it in normal (easy) mode and started it again on the next hardness level up.

Well worth a view, the graphics are exceptional, and gameplay is great - some special features which might seem difficult to pull off but have been done to make it playable - like the carjacking - which I think they use the same mechanics as GTA, so straightforward to do.

And the introduction of water-based fighting mechanics - I particularly liked the takedowns from underwater - basically swim up to a bad guy press the button and see your guy take down the merc. - loved it.

Gets a big :newthumb: from me.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Finally finished Baldur's Gate I (I ran a good party and an evil party through it simultaneously). Now moved on to BG: Siege of Dragonspear which bridges the gap to BG II.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:32 pm Finally finished Baldur's Gate I (I ran a good party and an evil party through it simultaneously). Now moved on to BG: Siege of Dragonspear which bridges the gap to BG II.
Is that on PC?
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:45 am Is that on PC?
Yeah
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Whizzed through Wolfenstein: The New Order last week.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:47 pm Whizzed through Wolfenstein: The New Order last week.
I did the same a few months ago as I couldn't put it down. Found the follow up, The New Colossus a bit underwhelming by comparison.

If you haven't already, I recommend The Old Blood. The insanity goes up a notch in that one.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Denzil »

Some of the absolutely superb campaign on MW2 but mainly playing multiplayer until my eyes bleed.

An excellent edition of the game, I am loving the gameplay. Could be the best yet.

Only grip is the interface, it feels unnecessarily complicated.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Scratched a 40-year itch by finally getting through all 33 levels of The Perils of Willy on the Vic 20, a game I owned as a kid but could never get far in thanks to the five lives limit, with the assistance of an emulator and the ability to save snapshots.

If I never hear the opening bars of Stairway To Heaven again it'll be too soon.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Ditto, Manic Miner (ZX Spectrum/Spectaculator).

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:19 pm Ditto, Manic Miner (ZX Spectrum/Spectaculator).
Think I did at one point too, but I'm pretty sure I used some sort of cheat codes to get there.

Part of the problem is with timing - these games were developed, and played, back when we all had CRTs, with zero response times & latency. Games that require precise pixel-perfect timing, such as 8-bit platformers, are inherently much harder to play on emulators with even the most responsive modern screens.

I managed to "complete" the arcade version of Shinobi after many decades, by playing on xbox arcade and regularly snapshotting progress. A rock hard title if ever there was one.