What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Can't get on anything today. My son has been obsessively playing Kirby 64 for the last 3 hours.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Like Poker? Like D&D style dungeons? Like Free games? Try WE Slay Monsters on steam. You kill the monsters by laying down poker hands - a straight, flush, trips pairs etc. It's a novel concept that scratches two iches for me.

There are nice touches in the game. When you die you leave behind a grave and your next character can find it and pick up their loot. When you "finish" a dungeon itopens up buildings like barracks, mage school etc which you can delevop to give your characters more powers.

It's a fun, relatively easy, enjoyable game - and it's free.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

It starts off as a peasant simulator, but I've been working on getting my combat skills up before venturing in the open world.

The combat realism is really good, probably the best I've experienced in a game although very difficult at the start.

Attention to detail is amazing, based on real European middle age history and some of the buildings are still around in real life.

£3.99 on Steam, bargain so far. Managed to bag 6 months of GeForce Now for £26.99 too, so been able to run it on max settings with no issues.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Just obtained the platinum for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, which meant 4 separate playthroughs.
Definitely my hardest earned platinum, and despite the timer of my PS5 putting it at 55 hours it felt like double that :crossed:
The final boss is easily up there as one of the hardest bosses in all of gaming. He is an absolute marathon and tests you on everything you have pitted yourself against so far.
There are another 3 or 4 boss fights that will obliterate your faith in your abilities at times, though on the consecutive playthroughs I was usually beating them on my first or second attempt.
One of the best, if not THE BEST combat systems in gaming.

Now that’s out of my hair, back to Resident Evil 4 and God Of War Ragnarok.
Merv
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Merv »

GT7 on PS5 using PSVR2. I already had a wheel & pedals, but adding the PSVR2 gives the game a new dimension. I am absolutely hooked.
chelmsfordhammer91

Still cracking on with KCD. It has quite a unique learning curve to it IMO.

You start off as some nothing peasant whose village gets destroyed. You flee to a local town/castle and basically start the game properly from there.

The combat mechanics are new to me, the usual dodge/parry/feint then attack but it's really hard at first as you are just a peasant who can't even hold a sword properly.

Not only do you practice to level up your stats at using certain types of weapons, but you also learn how to actually fight.

I've exploited a couple of known glitches to get some money early on as I'm not too into the grinding aspect of games.

Get a horse, roam around doing side quests and selling the loot
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Time to have a look at Redfall, despite the generally poor p/reviews.

PC version downloaded overnight from UTJ Jnr's Game Pass Ultimate sub.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

The gameplay footage of Redfall reveals a woefully unfinished, catastrophic unpolished mess.
Graphically it looks closer to an early last gen title, made in cir. 2014, on top of the lack of a 60 fps performance mode. The AI is a shambles. Some enemies will stand there and let you kill them while others move side to side doing the most ineffective attacks.
Stiff controls also not helpful with character models also sliding about like they are on ice. Textures taking forever to pop in. A technical disaster.

What gets me is the file size.

On PC it’s a monstrous 103Gb, on Series X it’s around 86Gb.
For comparison, the graphically stunning Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 is also 86Gb.

How can this be? A massive L for Xbox. Their second of the week. So badly managed and it’s now coming to show. Phil Spencer needs to go for the sake of the brand.
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Got back into Skyrim after many years, can't stop playing it. It looks remarkably well for what is a very old game now (gosh, where does time go?) and runs perfectly (which shouldn't be a surprise as I have a decent PC but tell that to some of the other old games which somehow manage to run poorly on modern systems). Still wish it wasn't the most shallow of TES games... to date, as I'm sure Bethesda will sand off even more world depth and RPG elements in TES6 for the sake of broader appeal.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

Have played a couple of hours of Redfall. I like the world and general vibe of the game but is it a chore to play. Visually it suffers but the combat, movement and AI is just so poor compared to something like Destiny. I just don’t see a way back for it unfortunately.

Will give it another go when they’ve done a couple of updates but I think it is probably a dead duck.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I DL Sub Nautca coz it was on the cheap. I've give it about 10 mins and I've sort give up. It's supposed to be a No man's skye game but with more pupose. i found it confusing, with no real help guide to get you going. I've watched a few you tube vids and it's very much "get this to make that and then get the other to change it to something else."

I've gone back to We Slay Monsters. been giving it a hammering today and managed to get No1 on the global leaderboard for the weekly dungeon - at my first attempt. It's a real fun game but with enough tactics to make you think. Some of it is down to the luck of the cards but when they fall right at the right time - Kaboom. Managed to beat a teleporting, pushbacking, self healing, fear inducing, poisioning, poison cloud making boss. I was uber chuffed :)
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:33 pm Got back into Skyrim after many years, can't stop playing it. It looks remarkably well for what is a very old game now (gosh, where does time go?) and runs perfectly (which shouldn't be a surprise as I have a decent PC but tell that to some of the other old games which somehow manage to run poorly on modern systems). Still wish it wasn't the most shallow of TES games... to date, as I'm sure Bethesda will sand off even more world depth and RPG elements in TES6 for the sake of broader appeal.
They've made such a pigs ear of TESO in the last few years that I've uninstalled it and won't give them anymore money.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Thought I’d give Star Wars Fallen Order a go seeing as the sequel was released last week to praise despite the usual setbacks (frame rate, bugs, general performance).
It’s actually a very fine game that borrows heavily from Dark Souls, Zelda, Uncharted and the Metrovania titles.
I’m digging the story and the combat is very smooth so far. I hear the sequel Jedi Survivor is even better.
chelmsfordhammer91

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:07 pm Thought I’d give Star Wars Fallen Order a go
Make sure early on you get the double ended lightsaber. It's on one of the first planets you can travel too. Good guide on YouTube that speed runs you to the table it's on.
ArtieTheIron

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:49 pm They've made such a pigs ear of TESO in the last few years that I've uninstalled it and won't give them anymore money.
Yeah, I never even considered getting TESO. I've already got one MMO in my life (Guild Wars 2), I definitely didn't need another. It irked me quite a bit that TESO went to all of those famous Tamriel regions that the main series never featured though, and I also saw the screenshots of redesigned elves which looked bland as hell. I know lots of people balked at elf faces in Skyrim but personally I thought they were great and just alien enough to distinguish them from your run-of-the-mill elves in other fantasy franchises.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:56 pm Yeah, I never even considered getting TESO. I've already got one MMO in my life (Guild Wars 2), I definitely didn't need another. It irked me quite a bit that TESO went to all of those famous Tamriel regions that the main series never featured though, and I also saw the screenshots of redesigned elves which looked bland as hell. I know lots of people balked at elf faces in Skyrim but personally I thought they were great and just alien enough to distinguish them from your run-of-the-mill elves in other fantasy franchises.
I played GW2 for a bit, enough to get the flying mount etc but although it's quite a nice looking game I never really warmed to the combat or the writing.
ArtieTheIron

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Yeah, it's a bit of an acquired taste. If I had to sell it to people, the lack of gear treadmill and general friendliness of people outside of PvP would probably be the things I'd emphasize.

But I can see why the combat in particular would annoy people, it's unlike most MMOs which tend to have a "trinity" of roles. GW2 doesn't really have "tanks" and nobody runs "healers" outside party-based instanced content, so the defensive side of combat is based on dodging, evasion and damage mitigation regardless of the profession you play.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Diablo 4 (beta) -Server Slam weekend.. I cannot wait for this to be released next month.. You can see the changes made to the game, looks amazing. I am still worried about the battle pass, premium currencies however.. will Blizzard listen (I don't have high hopes) .
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1868 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Warhammer 40k Boltgun. Okay, not amazing. Preferred the very similar, but superior, Prodeus.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I did the two Ori games recently. Blind Forest and Will of the Wisps.

Magnificent. Story is fantastic, gameplay is tremendous. Basically the perfect platformer, I doubt I'll ever play a better one.