What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Up the Junction »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am It looks and sounds great at least.
Bought the VR version at Christmas. Will be the nearest thing I ever get to flying an X-Wing.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 pm Bought the VR version at Christmas. Will be the nearest thing I ever get to flying an X-Wing.
Just completed the Campaign which must have took all of 6 hours. Fun but forgettable.
Judging by the trophies this was intended mainly for multi player.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Shadowrun: Dragonfall. on sale on Steam for £2.47 - rude not to download this classic for that price.

A text heavy, rpg with orcs and elves in a cyberpunk settings. Very true to the RPG of the same name (but I miss the loads of D'6's I must confess) in a turn based combat game with action points. If you liked the Jagged edge series or the UFO series you'll like this. Dated graphics, for sure but a decent sound track, plus immersive game play make up for that. Combat is brutal but fun - you may have to load a few games to get past some of the stages - but if you like orcs and elves in a cyberpunk world, this is for you.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Hades.

So fun. Plays like a dream, fantastic visually, feels like a challenge. Can totally see what the hype was about.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Still World of Warcraft. 9.1 finally launched this week after a wait of over 200 days. Seem like a lot of MMORPG players have gone to FFXIV but I'm staying for now.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Final Fantasy VII Remake.

It’s turning out to be more enjoyable than I expected.
Aside some hammy and over the top voice acting and a few moments so cringey and odd (if you’re not Japanese) this has been so far rather fun to play.
Goes to a more contemporary style rather than how the 1997 original played but the characters are all there (that I remember) and some have been tweaked a little more to give them a backstory or added a layer of depth.
I’m now on chapter 5 and I look forward to following how much it remains faithful to the legendary original and what will be altered to suit the gameplay and system mechanics.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Mario Golf : Super Rush
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Trying to finish Doom Eternal, well into the last stage now. Flight Simulator released on series S in a few weeks, looking forward to giving that a bash
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Escape from Tarkov
AC: Valhalla
Civ VI
Risk of Rain 2
Astroneer
Arma 3
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Just been having a blast on the Sega Vintage: Golden Axe Collection… that takes me back!

Also just started up Blair Witch - so far, it’s a pretty big standard modern survival horror game, and is a little clunky. Some cool ideas and mechanics though, which tie into the wider lore of the world.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Playing FIFA21 on the Series X for the first time, what a difference the next gen version is, really enjoyable, graphics and gameplay seems so much better than when I played it on my old Xbox.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Finished Assassin's Creed Valhalla story at the weekend, still got plenty to do, but will give it a break for a bit. Finished Final Fantasy 7 remake too, excellent game, but I made the mistake of leaving the last level for a month, so when I went back I had forgotten how to play, and was faced with the most difficult level!

Just started Yakuza like a dragon, and still playing Wreckfest (really good) and Forza Horizon 4. Also got Borderlands 3 dlc to get through. Shame I need to work!
simonpaulthomas

Finished Blair Witch - it was a bit meandering, and for a game that’s actually quite short, it seemed to drag on for ages, especially the last chapter.

It did some interesting things mechanically, but ultimately it was a flawed idea that was done to an OK standard. Worth playing if you’re a fan of the BW mythos.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 am Final Fantasy VII Remake.

It’s turning out to be more enjoyable than I expected.
Aside some hammy and over the top voice acting and a few moments so cringey and odd (if you’re not Japanese) this has been so far rather fun to play.
Goes to a more contemporary style rather than how the 1997 original played but the characters are all there (that I remember) and some have been tweaked a little more to give them a backstory or added a layer of depth.
I’m now on chapter 5 and I look forward to following how much it remains faithful to the legendary original and what will be altered to suit the gameplay and system mechanics.
Regrettably Final Fantasy VII Remake takes a bit of a nosedive by Chapter 9, and by Chapter 15 I was pretty much over it. I struggled to get myself to the final chapter because I grew tired of it (18) and after 45 hours I finally completed it and never uninstalled a game so quick.
This game is mired by tedious fetch quests and too much unnecessary filler. What starts off as a great game merely becomes a borderline good one. The characters are all there and I love that aspect. Cloud, Barret, Aerith and Tifa are present and are faithfully presented as you may remember them, but to my dismay, Red XIII doesn’t show up until around Chapter 16, and he’s not playable at all.
Sephiroth is as dastardly a villain as you could hope for but this is the problem - this is ONLY half of the actual game.
After the first disc (of three) in the original game, you had a large continent to scour and fight enemies in, which led to new settlements and secrets to uncover. Here you are confined to Midgar, juggling between sectors 5-7 with an underground lab or sewer sections to navigate. You will revisit the same areas a number of times to unlock certain rooms or hidden paths previously unavailable. It gets boring after doing this, and by the 30-32 hour mark (finishing Chapter 14) I’d had my fill and just wanted the game to end.
I won’t talk about the bit where you dress up in drag and have a cringey dance section in order to sneak into a boss man’s mansion, or the bit where you fight a house, those moments embarrassingly speak for themselves.
It could have been great and had it finished as it started we would have been talk about 9’s, but instead it gets a 7.5/10.
simonpaulthomas

Started playing Warhammer: Vermintide 2 with a couple of mates online last night.

It was a lot of fun, although I felt kinda bad smacking the Skaven ratmen with a ****ing big hammer, because I actually collect them as my main army in the tabletop game 😂
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Control.

I remember seeing some clips of this one online when it was released back in 2019 and it looked a decent third person shooter, but not particularly spectacular to make me invest.
Having picked it up as a freebie on PlayStation Plus a few months back I decided to give it a go this week and I’m absolutely delighted I did.
This is a genuinely great game. I knew it was heavily influenced by the SCP Foundation and had an eerie atmosphere but to play and absorb Control at first hand is definitely eye opening. The combat is fluid, mixing standard gunplay with a mix of supernatural gifts and abilities (telekinesis, levitation etc) and the play area is a vast multi-leveled Metroidvania format, having you tracking back and forth to open new areas once upgraded or obtaining one of these new abilities.
Only gripes so far is the sometimes shocking frame rate drops, which are noticeable especially after pausing the game or checking the map. It can take a few seconds for the game to catch up when you come out of pause, and it looks terrible to see. The loading times are also occasionally longer than I would expect in this day and age. It’s like playing a PlayStation One title on occasions.
Other than that this is a top title and worth a playthrough especially if you’re an action-adventure fan.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Playing the Back 4 Blood Beta.
It’s Left 4 Dead in all but name. Plays exactly the same but with some nice additions and new monsters. I’d also say it’s a harder game too. Ammo isn’t as plentiful and it’s on you to top up and plan ahead for the next leg of the campaign. A few glitches here and there but there’s no doubt this is the unofficial sequel to L4D.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Still playing raid shadow legends om mobile each day. Very addictive but after 6 months I'm pretty much 'end game' with just hard doom tower and faction wars left to clear.

Good mobile game but very pay to win. Some of the krakens spend thousands a month. One bloke on youtube spent 40 grand on it, mental.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Despite most of the mmorpg world moving over to Final Fantasy XIV online I am staying with WoW, I'm just to invested to start again. The game has issues and Blizzard are in deep hot water with external stuff but I am here pretty much every day.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Tend to play a couple of hours a night 3/4 days a week with a friend. Have done for years back as far as Dark Age of Camelot. Finished Divinity Original Sin 2 co-op couple of months back - excellent storey and mechanics. Moved onto ESO online, it’s ok but nowhere near as engaging, placeholder for when the Divinity studio finish Baldurs Gate 3.

If I am on alone tends to be Mechwarrior 5 mercenaries, now modded to hell and back. Just finishing the Ascent, Diabloish in a cyberpunk world. Good game but only got about 30- 40 hours or so of gameplay in it. Will play different builds but a break first.