What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am Despite most of the mmorpg world moving over to Final Fantasy XIV online I am staying with WoW, I'm just to invested to start again. The game has issues and Blizzard are in deep hot water with external stuff but I am here pretty much every day.
I on the other hand have fallen for the hype train and am really loving it. Never was massive on WOW though, and played lots of the offline Final Fantasy games. Loving the world, the story, graphics are beautiful. Gameplay is a bit slower than WOW but I got used to it, and now I'm a higher level it's improved a lot.
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Just going through the more recent Tomb Raider Trilogy of games again. Always loved Tomb Raider from the very beginning and these last 3 have been superb. A little heavy on the combat but it adds to the game. Oddly I really enjoy the set piece sequences. The openness to the game also lends to the adventuring spirit really well.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Blizzard may be having problems but you can certainly add Wargaming to that list, the community contributor mess would almost be funny if it wasn’t also such a sad indictment of the company.
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:31 am Tend to play a couple of hours a night 3/4 days a week with a friend. Have done for years back as far as Dark Age of Camelot. Finished Divinity Original Sin 2 co-op couple of months back - excellent storey and mechanics. Moved onto ESO online, it’s ok but nowhere near as engaging, placeholder for when the Divinity studio finish Baldurs Gate 3.
If you're looking for a single player title to scratch that medieval itch, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of the best games to come out in that genre in the last 5-10 years, in my opinion. Started pretty buggy but they've honestly resolved the vast majority of their issues.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

+1 for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. After it dropped off Gamepass I bought the game and all the DLC, something which I practically never do. Some wonky mechanics aside (lockpicking) it's a great experience.

Going completely the other way, I've been getting many, many hours out of Planet Zoo and now Humankind is out I'm having fun on that. Great games to relax with before realising that it's suddenly 3am, your wife has left you and the dog has died without you even noticing. Might need to take a few days off work.
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

bobby0303 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:34 am +1 for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. After it dropped off Gamepass I bought the game and all the DLC, something which I practically never do. Some wonky mechanics aside (lockpicking) it's a great experience.
Lockpicking and the bow and arrow are the two mechanics that make me endlessly frustrated.

The game is still incredibly fun, however, and engrossing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bobby0303 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:34 am +1 for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. After it dropped off Gamepass I bought the game and all the DLC, something which I practically never do.
+2 and ditto. Then I got banned by Microsoft and lost my save games. Bah.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

RockyMtnHammer wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:19 pm Lockpicking and the bow and arrow are the two mechanics that make me endlessly frustrated.
Lockpicking, even the so-called simplified lockpicking means I avoid all but the very easiest lockpicks.

The bow and arrow I quite liked, came across quite realistically but it can be difficult to work out how far above someones head you need to aim on a 2D screen. I'm also quite terrible at sword fighting so I use the bow more than most!

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:26 am I got banned by Microsoft and lost my save games. Bah.
Dare I ask what on earth you did to deserve that fate? :grin:

Once I've brought my backlog down I think I need to start another Kingdom Come: Deliverance playthrough. There aren't enough hours in the day!!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bobby0303 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:05 am Dare I ask what on earth you did to deserve that fate? :grin:
Someone hacked into my son's (linked) xBox account and bought themselves some games. I got the money back through PayPal and cancelled the gamepass sub until we'd got it sorted - and Microsoft responded by banning my/our account for "fraudulent acquisition or use of Xbox Live content".
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

bobby0303 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:05 am The bow and arrow I quite liked, came across quite realistically but it can be difficult to work out how far above someones head you need to aim on a 2D screen. I'm also quite terrible at sword fighting so I use the bow more than most!

Once I've brought my backlog down I think I need to start another Kingdom Come: Deliverance playthrough. There aren't enough hours in the day!!
I got quite good at the bow and arrow after a while, the lack of reticle is what takes a lot of getting used to -- I know people who use a dry erase marker to mark their screen where the reticle would be to solve that problem, I'm just not that committed.

My first playthrough of KC:D I was very heavy on the knight side of things because a lot of the late game storylines depend on being able to wield a sword and shield effectively. Also, when attacked by large groups I typically circled them with my horse and picked off as many as possible with the bow and arrow before fighting the last couple hand to hand.

I'd like to start again on more of a "thief" playthrough. Only problem is it means I need to get a whole lot better at picking locks and pockets!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Voidtrain - kind grindy, slow and a repetitive but relaxing and interesting at the same time. What part of soviets taking a tiny part of a push me pull you train into the void, building it up, and fighting sharks and Nazis intermittently don't you like.

The music is probably the best I've heard in a game. Very hypnotic.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Max Payne for the bazillionth time. I always play it when I get a new setup, not entirely sure why. Runs at 1200 FPS on “high” GFX settings 😂
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Humanity

A different take on the 4X genre, yet still very similar to CIV
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pm Control.

I remember seeing some clips of this one online when it was released back in 2019 and it looked a decent third person shooter, but not particularly spectacular to make me invest.
Having picked it up as a freebie on PlayStation Plus a few months back I decided to give it a go this week and I’m absolutely delighted I did.
This is a genuinely great game. I knew it was heavily influenced by the SCP Foundation and had an eerie atmosphere but to play and absorb Control at first hand is definitely eye opening. The combat is fluid, mixing standard gunplay with a mix of supernatural gifts and abilities (telekinesis, levitation etc) and the play area is a vast multi-leveled Metroidvania format, having you tracking back and forth to open new areas once upgraded or obtaining one of these new abilities.
Only gripes so far is the sometimes shocking frame rate drops, which are noticeable especially after pausing the game or checking the map. It can take a few seconds for the game to catch up when you come out of pause, and it looks terrible to see. The loading times are also occasionally longer than I would expect in this day and age. It’s like playing a PlayStation One title on occasions.
Other than that this is a top title and worth a playthrough especially if you’re an action-adventure fan.
Just got the platinum trophy for this and it’s a solid 9/10.
Two gripes:
Awful frame rate drops on PS4. This apparently is not an issue on PS5, so this will be negated if playing on current gen.
The other gripe is the in game map. It flat out sucks. It’s confusing and unhelpful at the best of times.
A sequel is a sure thing, and this will be a series that I hope grows into an entity.
Worth a play for sure, and I know it’s free on game pass. No excuses!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Dying Light on PC.

I love it. Missions, crafting, parkour, storyline, looting, lockpicking and most important loads and loads of zombies to kill in a million different ways. Plus human baddies that are trying to kill you.

Been playing every night for three weeks. Must give cop mode a blast at one point.
Oxonhammer

Post by Oxonhammer »

Just downloaded Mass Effect Legendary Edition for the PS4..not keen on using a controller but absolutely loved these games on PC
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Has anyone played New World yet? I like the look of it, but not sure if I want to commit the cash to it yet
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:18 pm Has anyone played New World yet? I like the look of it, but not sure if I want to commit the cash to it yet
No (not the release version) but have watched a lot of hours on twitch. It it a grind game that seems to have a limited but enjoyable life span. I did play on the Beta but quickly worked out it was not for me (and I just cannot bring myself to move away from World of Warcraft) .

There is also a buy-to-win cash shop coming at some point that worries people (well those that care about these things)
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Sega Rally Revo - finished it a full 13 years since I got it on x360. Same with Alan Wake - picked up an old save game when I registered my XBSS and finished up what I’d last played in 2010.

Now playing Mafia Definitive Edition, having first played the original a bit back in 2002. It’s such a laugh playing old games and slotting right back in after all this time, on much newer spec hardware that really makes for a much nicer experience 👍
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Finished Persona 5 strikers, so playing Psychonauts 2 on xbox series X, and just started last of us 2 on PS4/5