What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by smuts »

Finally downloaded The Last of Us to play.

Yep, the story etc is great...but for me the gameplay is bloody boring.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Been playing some more Assassin's Creed Origins this week. Sometimes I find I just have to stop and admire the scenery, it really is a well put together game!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

smuts wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:09 pmYep, the story etc is great...but for me the gameplay is bloody boring.
I find that with nearly all 'on rails' titles.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hi-Fi Rush - brilliant music beat-matching brawler with great visuals and anime styling.

Shadow Warrior 3 - think it needs a patch on XSS, as it's a bit choppy at 30fps, but is an amusing and fairly unchallenging fps shooter/beat em up. Voiced by the guy who played Bruce Lee in Once Upon A Time In America, and is very humorously scripted. Reminds me a little of Borderlands 2.

Tried that Atomic Heart for a few minutes & got bored fairly quickly. Guess I'm just not very interested in "cinematic" games with lots of long-winded dialog.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:24 pm I find that with nearly all 'on rails' titles.
I have to take it back about The Last of Us. It's not perfect by any means but it is actually very good considering it's quite an old game.

Best "on rails" titles for me are still RE4 and Arkham Asylum.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Elden Ring has to be the single most frustrating game ever.

Walk for a bit come across something which kills you in two hits

Walk in different direction target guard, 40 join him and slaughter you.

Sneak/creep your way to castle giant thing with sword kills you with three swipes

Could do with an easier option
swisstony
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by swisstony »

The group I used to play online with back in the day (BFV, then WoW) and then lost touch with all got together and sent me an invite to join their Valheim server. It's a survival game based in the Viking era. I'm not usually one for survival games but I've been playing it since mid Jan and thoroughly enjoying it. On my own, I take it at my own pace. You can rush through but I'm making my way slowly through the different biomes and trying out all the options. When there's a group of us I go with the flow, which is still pretty sedate fortunately.

However, it's the group aspect that shines though. Everything gets harder the more of you there are, but a group of you travelling the uncharted seas on a longship and dealing with the occasional sea serpent, then exploring the a new discovered land and plundering the resources before sailing home to divvy up the spoils has been perfect after a day at work.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Giving Diablo 3 Season 28 a go, it is lots of fun with 'Altar of rights' making you mego over powered.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've gone cold turkey from playing Raid: Shadow legends and knowing that it is the biggest vaccum of my spare time plus the new updates, which would take even more time - and I've quit.

I've written two articles for publication, replied to loads of emails I should have and have gone to the Ombudsman about British Gas in the time I've saved.

I'm done with it. Happy with the odd hour on No Man's Sky, just wndering around the galaxy for now.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

swisstony wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:16 pm It's a survival game based in the Viking era.
Never played multi but spent many a happy hour wandering around killing stuff. And running away from goblins.
WHU Independent

I WAS going to buy Baldur's Gate 3 but the 50 sovs price put me right off!
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice for the first time.
What a game this is. In terms of combat and a challenge it’s without doubt FromSoftware’s most arduous assault on your skills and abilities.
About 2/3 through, just defeated Shinobi Owl (first fight) and it’s been an incredible experience.
Which leads me to….
bristolhammerfc wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 pm Elden Ring has to be the single most frustrating game ever.

Walk for a bit come across something which kills you in two hits

Walk in different direction target guard, 40 join him and slaughter you.

Sneak/creep your way to castle giant thing with sword kills you with three swipes

Could do with an easier option
This game is all about trial and error and overcoming the big tasks. Stick to Limgrave and do everything there (particularly south and west of the first step). Do not even attempt Stormveil Castle unless you are at least level 40.
Once it clicks the game is crazy addictive.
I’d say barring Demon’s Souls, Elden Ring is the easiest FromSoftware title out there. :grin:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Soviet Republic: Workers & Resources - a brutalist fan's dream.

WHU Independent

Pulled the trigger on Cyberpunk 2077 yesterday. I'm still going through the early missions on easy - and it isn't that easy, lots of relaods It's not that intuative and take a bit of learning but I';m getting there. The foul language and insults are lol funny! "Get the Coont!"
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Since Stadia shutdown, I'd been at a loss on what to do gaming wise.

I played a couple of mobile games, the port of Medieval 2 Total War being the main one (absolutely brilliant).

I was looking at getting a laptop as my PC is supplied by work so can't install stuff, but the typical 'for another £100 I can get this...then that ' happened.

I didn't fancy ironing out a grand on something I don't really need (and have to justify it to my wife without mentioning games), so gave GeForce Now a go.

Similar to Stadia, except more clunky to use. You link your Steam account (and a couple of others) and basically via the cloud you use their 'rigs' to play games you own.

Fortunately, there is a Steam sale on, so bought the Witcher 3 for £7.49. Couldn't get into it so requested a refund (as long as you've played less than two hours they refund). Picked up Jedi Fallen Order for £3.49 which is a lot more suited to me as a very casual gamer.

For nostalgia, Left for Dead 2 was only 85p, so been playing that mostly.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Left 4 Dead 2 for 85p?
The game must be at least 15 years old but that’s a friggin’ blinding price.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Kept my 8 year old son up late playing Fist of the North Star (arcade) on Flycast emulator
smuts

Post by smuts »

Resident Evil remake. Loved the original and this doesn't disappoint.

I did have a glitch at first where I couldn't aim up or down for some reason. Ended up deleting the saves, restarting and it then worked fine. I had tweaked the camera to avoid getting motion sickness so wonder.if that had something to do with it.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Finished Max Payne 3, 11 years after I started it. What an incredible game. Initially disliked the change of setting & style, but my word, for a game released in 2012, the set pieces and mechanics are incredible.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Today we've played Tiger Woods Golf (wii), Dolphin Blue (atomiswave arcade), Crazy Taxi (dreamcast), LocoRoco (PSP), and Dragon Breed (arcade)