What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Tarbs »

Had the urge to play some FPS multiplayer games, not touched them for a while. Had a little go at Warzone 2 and dipped back into Escape from Tarkov...anyone playing these games? Is there a gem out there that i'm missing?

This is all just to tide me over till D4 of course.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Tarbs wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 am Had the urge to play some FPS multiplayer games, not touched them for a while. Had a little go at Warzone 2 and dipped back into Escape from Tarkov...anyone playing these games? Is there a gem out there that i'm missing?

This is all just to tide me over till D4 of course.
Bohemia Interactive ARMA 3, I enjoyed playing this game. It's on Steam.

It has for some time been generally recognised as the best multiplayer military simulation (mil-sim) shooter there is.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

As discussed on the “I’ll get round to it one day” thread, I just started playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch.
I’m around 4 hours in so far, so pretty green in terms of the mechanics and even the controls. I’ve died more times just blowing myself up with my own bombs following an incorrect button press more than anything else.
This game is far more complex than any Zelda title before it, though the last title I played was the wonderful Twilight Princess.
The stealth mechanic is much deeper, with the sound gauge providing an indicator that perhaps you’re being a tad too loud.
The temperature sensor was the one that caught me out. As I headed up to the mountains to find the shrines that allowed me to progress further, I kept dying from exposure to the frigid environment. Even falling into a river or lake up in these snowy areas is basically insta-death. How to stop this? Find some hot peppers, cook them on a stove and ingest them to protect yourself from the deep freeze. Whaa? This is all new to me, but cooking recipes looks to be the way to go as hearts are not seemingly found freely as in other games. Same as rupees (money).
Just looking at the map, I’m very impressed with the size and scope of the world. It is immense. I plan to wander a bit more once I can obtain a horse and make use of the fast travel system which is going to be massively key.
I really feel overwhelmed with the task ahead at this time. Wow.
My only real gripe right now is the weapon fatigue system. I am really not a fan of it at all. Mid battle I found myself without a weapon and having to quickly requip one in reserve. Bahhh!!! I just want my master sword and just swing away.
You can feel the influence of Breath of the Wild had over another recent classic, Elden Ring. There’s no mistake, Miyazaki was marking out to BotW when he was developing Elden Ring.

All in all, it’s been refreshing to go back to a series I’ve loved but I’m still trying to get my head around the marked differences in the mechanics and open world.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I'm ploughing through AC Origins, currently at level 36/40.

I made the mistake of clearing all the side stuff first whenever I reached a new area, which meant a lot of the side quests became fetch quests.

It's a rather repetitive game, but the open world is really well done. It has kind of put me off playing some of the other AC games as this one was meant to have one of the better storylines but I've found it a bit 'meh'.

Once I've completed it, I'll probably buy Cyberpunk and give that a go.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Downloaded the PS5 version of GTAV and giving that a re-run around a decade after I last played it.

I bought a PS5 about two years ago and am yet to play any real PS5 dedicated (or next gen dedicated) titles.

Anything I should absolutely play?
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Assassins Creed 2 - back to the rooftops I go!
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Denzil wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:23 pm I bought a PS5 about two years ago and am yet to play any real PS5 dedicated (or next gen dedicated) titles.

Anything I should absolutely play?
The only PS5 exclusives that come to mind that are worth playing right now are Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal, Final Fantasy XVI and the DualShock showcase freebie Astro’s Playroom.
Other great Sony exclusives available for both PS5 and PS4 include God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Gran Turismo 7 and Ghost of Tsushima/Death Stranding Directors Cut.
The sad truth is that these cross-generation games has killed some of the momentum of this current Gen and I wished the focus was more on the PS5.
Not enough current Gen games are available for both PlayStation and Xbox. 3 years in and it’s pretty poor.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

I’m about 50 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and after the tentative feelings I had first sensed in the very beginning with the new mechanics, I am now completely engrossed in this game.
Just wow. I do finally get it, emphatically.
The open world is exactly that – you are only limited by your determination. Previous Zelda titles bottlenecked you from certain areas, dungeons, areas and environments but this is now completely gone.
The first thing I did in fact was head to every tower to open the map area, doing as many shrines as possible along the way. Once I opened every tower I focused on side quests and shrines.
While I do miss your standard Zelda dungeon, the shrines are a fiendish blend of testing your smarts and your abilities. Some are very much combat based - having you defeat an all-powerful enemy that can end you in one hit, or they could be a skill-based challenge while using the joycon controller’s motion sense. Other shrine challenges are a test of your intelligence, sometimes obviously so. Successfully completing a shrine obtains a spirit orb, you trade 4 orbs for additional hearts to increase vitality or increase your stamina bar for more durability along you to run, climb and glider for longer.
Anyways I know there’s 120 of them scattered across the vast play area and I have around 50 of them: I’m not even halfway. There’s also special seeds to collect in game which allows you to increase your inventory – there’s only 900 of them around the map to find. Yes, just the 900.
In any case of the four divine beasts I just slayed my second one and I’m just now wondering for more side quests and shrines.
Ocarina of Time is my favorite in the series and one of my favorite ever games, and while I don’t think this will supplant Ocarina, it’s becoming a truly special experience.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Been recommended the Witcher 3 countless times, so I gave it a go. Played around 6 hours and honestly, I'm a bit bored. Maybe I'm at the point of having played a few open-world RPGs that they all start feeling like the same game.
The character of Geralt doesn't help. He's what I would've loved when I was about 13 years old: gothic, monotonous, is always the cleverest person in the room, delivering line after line of 'witty' retorts to make sure everyone he meets know they're an idiot compared to him.
I'm already wondering if I can take his level of smugness for another 100 hours.

Might stick Fallout: New Vegas back on :D
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

I was into Diablo 4 on PS5 and finished the campaign but have fell off it completely, so am back to smashing Football Manager most days as work is quite.

Would really like a good single player game to churn on PS5 but can't get into anything. As said in another thread, its a shame the new StarFall game isn't on Playstation as that is a bit of me.
chelmsfordhammer91

'stone hammer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:18 am Been recommended the Witcher 3 countless times,
I did the same, except I only lasted about 90 minutes before I gave up (and got a Steam refund). Felt like I really didn't give it a chance, but the movement and combat felt so clunky that no matter how good the storylines were it just wasn't going to work for me.

I'm looking for something new, might give Cyberpunk a go now it's been patched properly. Also keeping an eye out for No man's sky and Subnautica.

Generally looking for something quite immersive without needing too much of a grind. (AC Origins was pretty good, with some genuinely wow visual moments, but the quests and combat are just too repetitive).
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Cyberpunk is banging.

Great fun.
chelmsfordhammer91

It's either that, or get the Mass Effect Legendary edition and play through all three games.

I'm tempted by the latter, as it's only 12 quid, then get cyberpunk down the line the next time it's on offer.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:36 am Felt like I really didn't give it a chance, but the movement and combat felt so clunky that no matter how good the storylines were it just wasn't going to work for me.
Glad it's not just me, as it seems like the definitive RPG game from what I'd heard. I found the 'Witcher Sense' to be particularly uninspiring. Instead of trying to follow footprints/trails of some kind, which would take some degree of concentration, just switch your brain off and follow the red glowing patches.

If a game hasn't grabbed me within 3-4 hours, which feels generous, then it's just not happening. Most indicative moment was being disappointed to have to go back to the main game after the thoroughly enjoyable Gwent card game.
chelmsfordhammer91

Took the plunge on Mass Effect Legendary Edition for about £12.

Only an hour or so in. I never played it originally but the remastered graphics do hold up well.

I'm not good at remembering names/lore in games, so hopefully there isn't too much for me to keep track of.

With three games included in the bundle, it should provide a good couple of months of entertainment.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Oh Chelmsford, I am jealous. You’re in for a treat.
I will say this, the first Mass Effect game is far from perfect but it’s a good action RPG space adventure. The combat is a tad flimsy, but the story, the characters and the atmosphere will get you through. But stay with it.

The second game however; it’s one of the greatest video games of all time. It just improves on the first in every single way, to a near flawless final product.

The third just does a solid job of tuning up on it’s classic predecessor, with combat additions that improve the fluidity in battle.

Just a note that some of the decisions you make in the first game will decide what occurs in the sequel which in turn follows up in the third title so choose wisely. :winker:

One small piece of advice - focus skill points in charm or intimidate (or both) in the first game to ensure you get the most ideal outcome in key situations. Max one of those out as quickly as possible. Also having a high/max renegade or paragon level by the end of Mass Effect will give you a bonus when you use the same character in Mass Effect 2.
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:34 pm As discussed on the “I’ll get round to it one day” thread, I just started playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch.
Completed this on Saturday. Managed to beat all 120 shrines (finding around 113 of them without any assistance or guides) and barely 100 Korok seeds (900 in total - are they having a laugh?). The time was somewhere between 115-120 hours.
A fantastic game. Still not as good as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess but it slots 3rd in my list of Zelda titles.
I’d still rather some Zelda style dungeons/temples than divine beasts but I enjoyed the challenge of Eventide Island and the Labyrinths at least. Ganon was pretty easy if I’m honest. Rather straightforward I suppose, especially after getting the platinum for Elden Ring.
Tears of the Kingdom I’m hoping to pick up this winter. :newthumb:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Still on Diablo 4. Taking it slow and didn't realise how to get to Tier 3 level, but then worked it out. Level 57 Necro is fun and simple to play. My build is not optimal but it reminds ,e of why I dropped Diablo 3 - I got so far and my build wasn't viable - I couldn't be assed respeccing, I didn't want to play another class - so I gave up. And it's about to happen again.

I've tried Baldor Gate 3 but I just can't get into it. Same as Cyberpunk 2020 - played a few hours and thought "meh!"
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:21 pm Time to have a look at Redfall, despite the generally poor p/reviews.
Time to have a look at Starfield...
SirStoneyOfBow

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:00 pm Time to have a look at Starfield...
I honestly want to play this game so let me know your thoughts but I will be honest it’s been a laugh watching the Xbox fanboys try to make this game more than it is. :crylol:

It’s looks like “Bethesda standard RPG” in space. I’m rather shocked how bad the models look compared to other current and even last gen games, such as The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur’s Gate III, Diablo IV etc.
Bethesda has never been one for the technical side of things but christ it looks ugly at times.
The AI also worries me, hoping there’s a good few updates before I get to play it.