The Olympic Stadium: Poll IV

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-this summer's games?

Yes
23%
No
60%
Unsure
17%

Total votes: 808

hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll IV

Post by hammer »

yes
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I agree with Turks post, was in favour, now not! Thanks for the opportunity of being able to show I have changed my mind.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I was originally in favour of moving to have a State Of The Art Stadium allowing us to compete with the very best in Europe.
Now, I don't believe we will be allowed to have this and so my vote has changed to a resounding No !
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Total car crash. NO.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

I used to be massively in favour of it. Now it's a no from me. We'd just be squatters in somebody else's stadium if the terms are anything like the reports suggest. But then the press are professional liars so maybe those who are waiting for more information are making the right call. Either way, it can't be a yes right now.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

was unsure last time, now NO. its simply not suitable for football.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Definite NO from me.
Not suitable for football, not owned or controlled by the club and I've yet to be convinced that we cannot enlarge Upton Park if required.
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

I voted no before, and it's still a resounding no. How anyone would want to watch football seated behind a running track beggars belief to me.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Started off in the yes camp, but have now completely gone off the idea, do what we can with the Boleyn and move on :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Still a 'no' from me, more so now we would be tenants not leasholders.

It's an athletics stadium, not a football ground.

As tenants rather than leaseholders we would be at the whim and mercy of the landlords. What would happen if someone made a better offer once the Boleyn had been sold?

As tenants, the income from concerts and the like would belong to the landlord.

Once the novelty has worn off, how many will we get for run of the mill games? What will the atmosphere be like with a half empty stadium?

I've been inside the OS and it's really long way to the pitch.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I was a Yes but am now Unsure since the mess from when we won. Last time although it wasn't all our own terms, we had a control and could adapt the stadium. It would seem this time we have a lot less control. Unless certain criteria are met for us then it has to be a no. If we can get a similar deal as to we had before (just say a 99 year lease instead of say 100/200) then I am all for it.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Some of you would be happy with 40,000 at the BG... shows ambition doesn't it... increase the capacity by 5000...

60,000 or 50,000 shows true ambition if we're going to increase it would need to be worthwhile from a business point of view... 5000 isn't worth it.

We need to move from the BG unless they have the idea to knock it down and rebuild it.

But redevelopment is severely limited if we stay.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

As has been mentioned by others, I was for it, but after the fiasco of having to re-bid on totally different terms, I feel the stadium is an accident waiting to happen.

So, it's definitely a no from me.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Rebirth wrote: We need to move from the BG unless they have the idea to knock it down and rebuild it.
I agree. But not to the Olympic stadium, for the reason above. It's an accident waiting to happen and we should walk away. If we can't afford a new build, it will have to be 45k at The Boleyn Ground. I would much rather that than ANY capacity at the Olympic Stadium.
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

I've voted yes but have interpreted that as yes if we can make the stadium suitable for football.
I think without that caveat a yes v no poll is limited. I'd be interested to know if any of the no's would change their vote to a yes if the stadium was made football friendly or is it a blanket no whatever's on the table.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

No from me, would like to move to Stratford but not into a huge athletics stadium not fit for football in any way at all
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

WHUTerry wrote:I've voted yes but have interpreted that as yes if we can make the stadium suitable for football.
I think without that caveat a yes v no poll is limited. I'd be interested to know if any of the no's would change their vote to a yes if the stadium was made football friendly or is it a blanket no whatever's on the table.
If you read through the thread, I think most people have done exactly that, WHUTerry.
Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

I wanted to previously, with reservations, but not now the circumstances have changed so much. Just because it's a massive opportunity right on our doorstep, doesn't mean it's the right decision for us. I think it would be much too big a gamble for us, with too little in return.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

WHUTerry wrote: I think without caveat a yes v no poll is limited. I'd be interested to know if any of the no's would change their vote to a yes if the stadium was made football friendly or is it a blanket no whatever's on the table.
A blanket 'no' was impulsive.

A more considered 'no' comes from watching this unconsulted 'plan' unravel.

I don't think my first thoughts on the subject will change; in fact, the more time passes, the deeper my resistance becomes.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

WHUTerry wrote:I've voted yes but have interpreted that as yes if we can make the stadium suitable for football.
I changed my vote from yes to no based upon it not being football friendly. It doesn't seem very likely it will be football friendly.