ArmA 2: Day Z mod

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kesh

ArmA 2: Day Z mod

Post by kesh »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video above gives you a decent overview of the game, let me know if any you are on this or thinking of playing Day Z in pm please. It's a survival game, you get one life (have to start a different character when killed), need to drink water, eat an cook your food, but only when you find things such as a hunting knife an flint. Try'n find food an gear in towns, farms and a huge city(not adviseable). Set over 200 square miles in Russia, it was put together with the help of marine surivival experts, oh an theres Zombies! The 28 Days Later type, an even worst, theres humans, alot of which want you dead for any gear you happen to be carrying.

I've only had chance to play about 4 hours yet, never played Splinter Cell or COD before so not used to this type of game, you start with just a flash light, an if it's night time in real life, like when i started, it's night time on your server, pretty much pitch black, so using a flash light is like ringing the dinner bell. Havent got a gun yet, my tactic so far has evolved around crawling along the ground for much of the time ****ting my pants. Know one or two people playing it but havent been online.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: ArmA 2: Day Z mod

Post by Tarbs »

I've not played this yet but looking to get ArmA 2 just to see what the fuss is about with Day Z.

Though the Steam summer sale should be starting soon so I am hoping to grab it then.
kesh

Post by kesh »

Rumours on the game are that Day Z on ArmA 2 is just going to be a huge Alpha version for the release of ArmA 3 sometime this summer. Cos since we've been on it they've constantly changed it. Theres way more zombies now, you start with a hand gun now, an the back pack just isnt realistic enough. Rumour is there going to get rid of world chat an introduce walkie talkies, an you've got to stay warm now too, female characters.

Survival rates went from 4 hours to 28 minutes, mainly due to the amount of people coming onto the servers, an now that you start with a hand gun theres alot more PVP going on. We tend to shoot first now, alot of bastards about.
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

We play often. If anyone has ventrilo and would like to join up with us, PM me. I have quite a few friends that play.
kesh

Post by kesh »

Tampa, i've got an axe, but dont know how to equip it. Even when i drop my shotgun it want equip. Any ideas? Plus, i've had this one zombie follow me, not sprinting, just ambling along on its hands like a monkey, after me for 2 hours? Is that a glitz, things ****ing me out. Gonna log off and back in to see if it goes. Will download that ventrilo as my ping isnt too bad on US servers by the looks of it.
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

kesh wrote:Tampa, i've got an axe, but dont know how to equip it. Even when i drop my shotgun it want equip. Any ideas? Plus, i've had this one zombie follow me, not sprinting, just ambling along on its hands like a monkey, after me for 2 hours? Is that a glitz, things ****ing me out. Gonna log off and back in to see if it goes. Will download that ventrilo as my ping isnt too bad on US servers by the looks of it.
Remove it from your toolbelt, then you can equip it.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

I have been playing this for a while now. I actually prefer being a freshie and not having all the cool gear!! I have everything I could need and I hide away because I don't want to lose it!! haha

I have the Lingor Island mod too now so I'm going to give that a go!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Hi all. Count me in. I'm looking for sometime different to play and I have paid for and am d/l'ing it as we speak. Any advice please on the game in general and also how to install and dl the mod? Cheers in advance.
WHU Independent

Just bought it off steam and have downloaded it - that was fun, took for ever! - now itching to play.

Any tips on the original game and how to install the Z mod please? Cheers _I've also PM'ed you mate :)
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

Just got your PM, will give the info in a bit.

Best advice: Don't trust anyone you are not directly playing with. If you have not met up with people that you have pre-arranged to meet, do not encounter anyone. People are assholes and they will kill you and take your ****. Me included.

For example: A young buck was calling out for help, so my group and I obliged. We helped him kill his Zombies, got to safety, then murdered him. People in DAY Z are assholes.

:twisted:
WHU Independent

Understyood.

I'm having a hard time even finding any weapons though. Found an axe in a log but can't pick it up? I'm just running around n the forest avoiding Zombies atm, all the houses I find are non interactive?
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

Yeah. A lot of the buildings are non-interactive. The cities have high yield buildings (church, hospital, school, hotel) which are normally loaded with weapons, ammo, food, drink and blood. Once I get my game sorted, I'll be happy to PM you all a time so that we can meet up and start killing things. :raver:

Got some nasty virus and had to re-format my hard-drive, so it hasn't been re-installed yet.
WHU Independent

Hope the virus isn't from the Day z stuff you have to download mate!1 I had to miss ll kinda nasty stuff to load it up.

Still; running around without a gun. Zombie gets close to you and you are dead. Very frustrating!! found a way to stop being chased but it takes ages to do anything afterwards. Actually just getting killed a lot through apathy - once a zombie is on you - just die! Well atm as I have no kit -even finding a gun is REAL HARD!
WHU Independent

BTW just logged off at top of the lighthouse :)
kesh

Post by kesh »

For people who havent played it, its so different from your usual shooter type games. Its like a story.

From the youtube clips of it, i was playing in a far too paranoid fashion, always looking behind me constantly, crawling every where. Went up a hill last time after i heard gun shots an watched one fellow near a lighthouse get over run with zombies. Didn't bother going for his gun cos there were dozens all round his corpse. Got to a barn, shotgun/axe, logged off, went back on to get ammo from said barn an got snippered. Should of lay low for 10 min to see who was about maybe. Now on as a women in the middle of nowhere, noticed that women are more quiet crawl walking, so gonna stick with females. Alot easier. Obviously after im sick of GW2, that is. But it'll be a laugh if we can arrange a time.
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

Nah, had nothing to do with the Day Z mod, it was some pop-up as I was downloading configurations for Source based FPS.
kesh

Post by kesh »

TampaHammer wrote:Nah, had nothing to do with the Day Z mod, it was some pop-up as I was downloading configurations for Source based FPS.
Did i miss a page? Can i have that with big letters with pictures please. :wink:
WHU Independent

Good night tonight eventually! After being insta sniped with a decent character upon respawning, I got a character who, after lots of running around, found a barn with a rifle and ammo. Managed to pick up other decent stuff - bandages etc - but them my backpack vanished! Still, managed to crawl into a town and get into a few houses and picked up food, drink, a hunting knife and axe, heat packs etc. I have now logged off in said house - it's full of zombies outside and it's getting dark! I'll wait till it gets light and move on when I can see more :)

Also shot my first Zombie - headshot! I am 1 for 1 headshot atm!
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

'Twas a PM that I was responding to, Kesh. I no good at internets. Headbanger
WHU Independent

Grrr really annoyed!

Was doing really well, got loads of gear was surviving for hours, had my crawl technique down pat, Zombies were leaving me alone - it was looking good!

Then a crawled near a town, saw a place that was open, sneaked in, as I was sneaking out my character got stuck, wouldn't move. Needless to say a Zombie was heading towards me so I had to shoot him as he was up front and personal. More Zombies came, I dropped them - but was still stuck: couldn't move. Needless to say the Zombie hoard from hell came and tore me apart.

I was swearing and calling this game a bug ridden POS and came on here to rant. Only then did I realise I couldn't type - yes my wireless keyboard batteries had decided it was a convenient time to die!!!

Had to give up for the night - so frustrated!

I'll be back tomorrow though :)