Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by ageing hammer »

Eastcote wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 am Dont you just do it in your nappy and let nurse take care of it? :chin:
:rofl:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Question please; has anyone had any experience of using an autograph authentication service? If yes, what was it like? Reputable?

Asking because I've come into possession of a record that looks like it has been signed by the original artist, long since dead. No way of contacting the original LP owner.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Post it to me, and I will take a look for you..

:arry:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

If it’s a Pinky & Perky LP the signatures are definitely kosher.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:04 pm Question please; has anyone had any experience of using an autograph authentication service? If yes, what was it like? Reputable?

Asking because I've come into possession of a record that looks like it has been signed by the original artist, long since dead. No way of contacting the original LP owner.
I don't know the answer, in a direct sense, in that I have no such experience, but I did once learn from someone who sold rare records that people who use stage names, such as (pulled out of thin air) Alvin Stardust, are more likely to write that name legibly, rather than put a signature on it.

These are more easily copied, obviously, but also, as time passes, difficult to authenticate.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Why is it a Bouncy Castle & not a Bouncy something else?

Are there other bouncy things? Is there a market for other bouncy things?

Bouncy Wigwam
Bouncy Whore House (Bouncy Brothel might be catchier)
Bouncy Hospital
Bouncy Zoo

This question popped into my head today on the drive to work & I can't think of anything else now.

You obviously don't get Phoenix Nights over in the US, Shabs.

One of the funniest pieces of TV I have ever seen involves a differently-shaped bouncy item.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

It's only got one eye.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Shabu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:58 am Why is it a Bouncy Castle & not a Bouncy something else?

Are there other bouncy things? Is there a market for other bouncy things?

Bouncy Wigwam
Bouncy Whore House (Bouncy Brothel might be catchier)
Bouncy Hospital
Bouncy Zoo

This question popped into my head today on the drive to work & I can't think of anything else now.
It’s because if you complicate things the end result is less inflatables.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:15 am You obviously don't get Phoenix Nights over in the US, Shabs.

One of the funniest pieces of TV I have ever seen involves a differently-shaped bouncy item.
I'll be looking that up today. Thanks Mate :newthumb:
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

Phoenix nights is brilliant :crylol:
BillyDWhizz
Total likes: 1 like

Post by BillyDWhizz »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:04 pm Question please; has anyone had any experience of using an autograph authentication service? If yes, what was it like? Reputable?

I've been dabbling in collectables and memorabilia for close on 30 years so I can hopefully point you in the generally right direction here!

Firstly, Have a look online for info about the album - depending on the artist(s) and condition it could be valuable. If it turns out for example, it's 3rd reprint of a massively common album with a worn cover and scratches all over the vinyl then it probably isn't worth your time, effort and money to proceed with getting the autograph valued (all though there are provisos here if it's an autograph of say someone like John Lennon or Jimi Hendrix for example).

If it's in mint, good or even fair condition and is relatively uncommon then it may well be worth further research. If you do decide to proceed, then again the internet is your friend. Have a quick google for an autograph authentication service that is in your area but please make sure it's an AFTAL Approved dealer (Autograph Fair Trade Association), you shouldn't have any problems then.

I don't know how much it costs to authenticate an autograph now since I haven't had to have one done for about 10 years but I'd guess at about £50 quid if it's a signature of someone who the authenticator sees regularly - If it's a rarer signature then the price of authentication will go up especially if there's no other provenance with your item.

Good luck, I hope it turns out that you have unearthed a gem.

https://sellvinylrecords.co.uk/value-vinyl-records-uk/
https://www.aftal.org.uk/dealers.php

Why, when referring to cities/places in another country, has a trend been to change the name?

Examples:

1. We call it London, but the French call it Londres
2. They call it Munchen, but we go with Munich

I said 'a trend' not 'the trend', because, so far as I can tell, Paris is Paris the world over, as is Madrid (Madrid).

Was wondering if there was any obvious explanation, because, as in my examples, this isn't a different spelling of the same sound, that might be better understood, but a range of changes, from the slight (they say Roma - but pronounce the 'o' part differently from us), to the more obvious (the 'un' in how we say Lundun is not really like the French word, which, phonetically, is more like Lonn-druhs)
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 am Why, when referring to cities/places in another country, has a trend been to change the name?
I live near Geneva, which depending on what part of Switzerland you're from is:

Geneve (french part)
Genf (german part)
Ginevra (italian part)
Genevra (romansh part)

None of which are 'Geneva'

Then of course you have Lake Geneva, which the locals call Lac Leman and sometimes get upset if you call it the former
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

We all came down to Montrolx, on the lac Léman shoreline
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 am Why, when referring to cities/places in another country, has a trend been to change the name?

Examples:

1. We call it London, but the French call it Londres
2. They call it Munchen, but we go with Munich

I said 'a trend' not 'the trend', because, so far as I can tell, Paris is Paris the world over, as is Madrid (Madrid).

Was wondering if there was any obvious explanation, because, as in my examples, this isn't a different spelling of the same sound, that might be better understood, but a range of changes, from the slight (they say Roma - but pronounce the 'o' part differently from us), to the more obvious (the 'un' in how we say Lundun is not really like the French word, which, phonetically, is more like Lonn-druhs)
I asked the same thing last year. Go to page 251 of this thread for the answers!

:thup:

Not only had I forgotten all about p251, but I hadn't even realised that I had posted a comment about your question...admittedly I went off on a tangent, but that's me all over!

Interesting situation; another one of those little mental listing things I will have to incorporate (I love working out Latin-based languages, having once had the benefit of a level of bilinguism, when I lived in France, 30 years ago). The interesting thing - OK, interesting for me at least - is that I think I have sussed that Northern Italy has a dialect where shades of French have snuck in, with the old circumflex making an appearance in one town, but not in another.

Love language me.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

southbrishammer wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:24 pm I asked the same thing last year. Go to page 251 of this thread for the answers!
I also asked a while ago. Go to page 68 of this thread to see people not give a ****.

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:57 pm I also asked a while ago. Go to page 68 of this thread to see people not give a ****.
That's because Brighton is known as Rottingdean the whole world over

:eyes: :eyes:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Not always. Only since last night in fact.
On my way home, drove past what was essentially an outside launderette.
Not only were the machines outside, it was at a Shell garage.
Who the hell's going to a garage to do a wash?