Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by James P »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pm The standard police caution. "It may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on in court", or words to that effect.

How exactly could it harm your defence?
Basically the judge and/or jury can make an inference from you not offering up a defence during police interview.

If you get to court and say “I wasn’t there. I was at my girlfriend’s at the time” and when they asked you where you were during the interview you said “no comment”, the judge and jury can consider why you didn’t just say where you were in the first place. It casts doubt on your testimony at court and in the absence of corroboration from an independent person the judge and jury may believe you’re just making it up and lend little credibility to it. If you give a defence in interview and maintain it in court it is generally seen to be more credible.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Alternatively there is the school of thought that you should NEVER talk to the police. It's a bit of a long watch but funny and very informative.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wh ... &FORM=VIRE
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pm The standard police caution. "It may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on in court", or words to that effect.

How exactly could it harm your defence?
If you are under arrest, you are suspected of a crime that has already happened.

When you are interviewed, you are effectively being asked questions in a process that could, in due course (in the future), be transformed into evidence that a court hearing a trial would consider. Strictly speaking, the evidence in question are the facts that you put forward from your own knowledge or memory (i.e. I acted in self-defence, or I took the item without being dishonest about it, etc etc).

The caution is a basic warning that what you have said (or indeed not said) would be evidence at the trial.

You can harm that case (at trial) by either

1. Making no comment, but then putting forward the facts once you have been charged, because questions might be raised as to whether you have made up your account after arrest, or
2. Answering in one manner, in the police station, but then answering in another at the trial, because this demonstrates your inconsistency.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:01 am It didn't happen everywhere.

It created everywhere.

But its just a pair of alliterative syllables that reductively mean everything mankind could ever know.
yep, there was no "everywhere" in a way our physics can relate.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

TV licences. I honestly don't get the concept.

From the licensing site:
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
And....

Do I need a TV Licence to watch online, including on YouTube?
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch programmes live on any online TV service - such as ITV Hub, All 4, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or Sky Go. You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever watch on demand programmes on any TV service apart from BBC iPlayer.

You don’t need a TV Licence to watch videos or clips on demand on YouTube. But you do need a TV Licence if you watch TV programmes live on YouTube. An example of this would be watching Sky News live. But it isn’t just live news or sport which needs a licence – it’s any programme which is part of a TV channel, broadcast or transmitted for everyone to watch at the same time.

I honestly did not know this! TV licences are issued on the BBC aren't they? And used to fund the BBC? Why on earth should I be paying the BBC to watch a live programme thats nothing to do with them on a streaming service thats nothing to do with them on a device thats nothing to do with them.

I don't get it.

You're entering the BBC into the equation.

The licence that is obtained, for the fee, is the permission to watch programmes transmitted as 'television' for the first time, irrespective of whether that is through one broadcaster, or another.

The blurb you've posted makes it clear that, if the programme were transmitted by that ITV hub, you still must have a valid licence to watch its first broadcast.

The licence isn't levied directly by the BBC.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

That's fair enough - but I honestly never knew that. I always thought the TV license related to the BBC.

So if all you ever watch is on-demand stuff from Netflix and Prime and no live Tv, how do you go about proving that? I could save myself a bit of money here because I could live perfectly happily without live TV.

The concept though of having to pay a licence to watch something on a service that I'm also paying for seems a little ridiculous.

And how can they possibly track what you're watching over the internet on a different service?

The licence does relate to the BBC, but it is passed to the corporation, by the government.

As for your other questions, sorry, but pass. I think there's something to be said for the suggestion, maybe, that the rules have of course developed from a situation which began as one national broadcaster, which was funded via the licence.

Access to the commercial stations that followed, terrestially speaking, was guaranteed through the licence, even if the payment of it didn't even indirectly lead to their funding.

But I don't know really.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The best way to reset a laptop?

I've mostly used work laptops to do things like view/post on here, etc. However where I'm at now has mental control over what can be accessed, so I want to clean down my sons old laptop and use it for myself. I know there's quite a few computer savvy people on here and just wondered if a simple factory reset is all it would need?

Apart from the obvious and obligatory wiping my what's it across the screen... :newthumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Once you've disinfected the screen (an essential step often missed in a how-to), assuming Windows 10 give this a go.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Why when hitting the snooze button (on any device, phone, alarm clock) does it always go in 9 minutes?

This suddenly occurred to me yesterday morning. Alarm set for 7.15am, snooze hit, alarm goes off again at 7.24. Why the odd number?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:08 pm Why the odd number?
7.15?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:08 pm Why when hitting the snooze button (on any device, phone, alarm clock) does it always go in 9 minutes?

This suddenly occurred to me yesterday morning. Alarm set for 7.15am, snooze hit, alarm goes off again at 7.24. Why the odd number?
https://www.southernliving.com/healthy- ... -9-minutes

It turns out that the seemingly arbitrary allotment actually pays homage to clockmakers of a bygone era. According to Mental Floss, before digital clocks, engineers were restricted to nine minute snooze periods by the gears in a standard clock. They could either set the snooze for a little more than nine minutes, or a little more than 10 minutes. And because the consensus was that 10 minutes was too long, and could allow people to fall back into a "deep" sleep, clock makers decided on the nine-minute gear.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Because then when you hit the snooze button 20 times it's only three hours and not 200 minutes.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Because it's a 5 minute snooze and the alarm had already been going off for 4 minutes before you hit the button. You need to turn the volume up.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Why people who don't get up till 7:15 need to press snooze.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

There's an app Knobwipe that you can download for these kind of problems. KnobwipeX1 is out of date now, but KnobwipescreenX2 is compatible with Windows 10. Thank me later.

Wipe with MacAfee is no longer working.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

What’s an alarm?

Arnold Layne wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:56 pm What’s an alarm?
It's a shortened version of an alarum.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Match of the Day.

Do they have commentators working on the games 'live' or do they have people watching the games, putting together a highlights package and then add commentary afterwards?