Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by S-H »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 pm Libre Office all the way mate. It's just as good as 365 and totally free. All the files are compatible with 365 and vice versa so you'll have no issues opening files created on 365.
This.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

jastons wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:03 am Why do some words have silent letters, for example Knight or Knife? Or Gnat?
Clever kcunts trying to be cleverer..
Samba

Post by Samba »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:02 pm Usually to distinguish between homophones.
That's a hate crime these days..
Samba

Post by Samba »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:15 am What did that poor b*stard do to his ankle yesterday?
A suspected dislocated and fractured ankle?
Sounds a bit like the Gomez? one for Everton the other year? Made a full recovery, I think.
Samba

Post by Samba »

only1post wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 pm If you should only eat oysters when there is a R in the month, why is The Whitstable Oyster Festival held in July?
Unless that's when you SHOULDN'T eat them?
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

only1post wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 pm If you should only eat oysters when there is a R in the month, why is The Whitstable Oyster Festival held in July?
I think that dates back to the days before refrigeration so they would spoil quicker in warmer months, not the case now when they are put on ice almost immediately
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

jastons wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:03 am Why do some words have silent letters, for example Knight or Knife? Or Gnat?
In these examples, originally the silent letters were not silent - either in Olde English or the original language - knight from the Germanic Knecht with a throat-clearing sound before the final t.
In Knife, the silent E modifies the I vowel making a split diagraph. Consider the words Tim and Time.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

I just stumbled across this video on youtube on how three phase electricity works, and it's honestly a really good example of the basics to someone who does not know who might be interested.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2578 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Eastcote wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:23 am Morning all its probably been asked before but my 365 office subscription is up for renewal £79 worth per year. I dont really use it much but use the family option which lets my daughters and grandson/granddaughter use it. Are there any other options for free eg Libra Office or should I still splash out £79?
Bit late to this one but you can also try OnlyOffice which is a bit more Office365 compatible than LibreOffice.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

In simple terms, how are some aspects of wildlife so much more intelligent than others?

Crows and magpies, for instance, seem to be almost cunning. The octopus, too, is known to have a level of intelligence, in terms of problem solving that seems almost unworldly, when you recall what one did in that zoo or aquarium in Germany (I think), where it was brought in a tank into a room that had a wash basin and, overnight, got out of its tank crossed the floor and escaped down the plughole.

On the other hand, animals such as cows and sheep seem almost brainless. Is that because man has 'modified' them, to make them into livestock and kind of weeded out the intelligence?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Whitters wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pm I think that dates back to the days before refrigeration so they would spoil quicker in warmer months, not the case now when they are put on ice almost immediately
Apparently it depends on the type of oysters. Rock oysters can be eaten all year round. Whitstable, Colchester and Helford are best eaten between Sep-Apr. During the summer months they apparently go into spawning which turns the flesh soft and milky.

But according to the official Whitstable Oyster Festival, Kuntish oysters are very rare so they import Pacific Oysters which probably explains why its held in July.

Thankfully you can still get native Colchester oysters (farmed since Roman times). Once again Essex pulls it out the bag.
Samba

Post by Samba »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:59 pm In simple terms, how are some aspects of wildlife so much more intelligent than others?

Crows and magpies, for instance, seem to be almost cunning. The octopus, too, is known to have a level of intelligence, in terms of problem solving that seems almost unworldly, when you recall what one did in that zoo or aquarium in Germany (I think), where it was brought in a tank into a room that had a wash basin and, overnight, got out of its tank crossed the floor and escaped down the plughole.

On the other hand, animals such as cows and sheep seem almost brainless. Is that because man has 'modified' them, to make them into livestock and kind of weeded out the intelligence?
No. Cows & sheep are too stupid by nature to even think about escaping down a plughole..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:59 pm In simple terms, how are some aspects of wildlife so much more intelligent than others?

You have forgotten to mention parliamentarian.
northiron
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by northiron »

I have read that animals who hunt - all the ones you mention - have to be more intelligent to predict the conscious or unconscious behaviour of their victims. Doesn't explain elephants supposed intelligence but an interesting explanation.
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Species evolve to live within a given environment.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:20 am Species evolve to live within a given environment.
Sure, but how is the octopus so much more intelligent than the fish it lives amongst?
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Are there UK or even international bylaws that determine once a suburban population reaches a certain density, then all independent newsagents, corner shops, small general stores including shops only selling nick nacks are legally bound to advertise, and ONLY advertise....

- LYCAMOBILE - call the world for less -

https://www.lycamobile.com/Templates/De ... s/logo.png

I think there probably is.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 592 likes

Post by vietnammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:34 am Sure, but how is the octopus so much more intelligent than the fish it lives amongst?
Upbringing
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:34 am Sure, but how is the octopus so much more intelligent than the fish it lives amongst?
Cos it can hold eight books at the same time :winker:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

It's got a degree in media studies