Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by CMNinja »

On more modern toilets with push button flushes, the button is usually split into a smaller and larger button. Is the larger button larger because that's the one that you should press more frequently (pee flushing power) or is it larger to remind you that's the one you need for a larger flush?
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

And another...

Two days ago I was behind a car that had a subtle sticker bridging the boot and the body of the car. It had something like 'securely sealed' printed on it. It was 18 reg Vectra. Ten minutes later I was behind another 18 reg car - a Giulia, I think - with the same sticker. Who uses them? Bearing in mind they weren't vans, what would they be transporting that needed that?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

CMNinja wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:57 am On more modern toilets with push button flushes, the button is usually split into a smaller and larger button. Is the larger button larger because that's the one that you should press more frequently (pee flushing power) or is it larger to remind you that's the one you need for a larger flush?
Big button for a dump.

Small button for pee.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

CMNinja wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:01 am And another...

Two days ago I was behind a car that had a subtle sticker bridging the boot and the body of the car. It had something like 'securely sealed' printed on it. It was 18 reg Vectra. Ten minutes later I was behind another 18 reg car - a Giulia, I think - with the same sticker. Who uses them? Bearing in mind they weren't vans, what would they be transporting that needed that?
A total guess, but I reckon they're carrying samples, blood, limbs, whatever, from hospital or doctor.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

S-H wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 am Big button for a dump.

Small button for pee.
I thought it was the other way around.

Big button because you’ll use it more. Little button when you need the extra.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:08 am A total guess, but I reckon they're carrying samples, blood, limbs, whatever, from hospital or doctor.
mass murderer?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:19 pm I thought it was the other way around.

Big button because you’ll use it more. Little button when you need the extra.
I've always thought it was large for the big flush and small for the smaller flush.

They should make it clear with pictograms etched on to the buttons.
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by Whitters »

On ours big button is the big flush. :thdn:

Little button is rarely used :rain:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Our button is broken. We have to lift the lid off the cistern and just manually flush it with the mechanism inside. I could have fixed it ages ago - just cant be arsed. I just tell everyone that we're in a cost of living crisis and that £15 it would cost to fix it could be better spent on food or energy bills.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Does anyone else whilst browsing on their phones, hit the Post Reply button, login, only to me met with Elsie's profile?

Damn you fat thumbs!!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:29 pm Our button is broken. We have to lift the lid off the cistern and just manually flush it with the mechanism inside. I could have fixed it ages ago - just cant be arsed. I just tell everyone that we're in a cost of living crisis and that £15 it would cost to fix it could be better spent on food or energy bills.
Beer... :winker: .... :winker:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:51 am Beer... :winker: .... :winker:
He said food..
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^^Grain, yeast, water. Liquified bread :newthumb:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:36 am ^^^^^Grain, yeast, water. Liquified bread :newthumb:
He's got a point you know.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

How many times on KUMB has a thread been started, then ended only to be restarted? Or, is it normally that a new thread is started?

All I am thinking is that there must have been some in GD where it looked like we'd get a player but didn't, then did, etc.. Seeing NUMB the Boris thread has made me wonder.. :chin:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Why do beards only grow on the bottom half of your face? Why don't you get forehead beards?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I reckon Micah Richard's got one, but he disguises it by wearing his head upside down.
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by Polaroid »

I was always of the belief that when you looked in the dictionary or online for a definition of a word that the stuff just underneath it was a phonetic pronunciation of said word.

If that's the case it ain't much cop to man nor beast is it? Should I acquire a mirror and stand on my head to decipher half of it?

Evidence A:
knowledge
/ˈnɒlɪdʒ/

Evidence B:
scrotum
/ˈskrəʊtəm/

Evidence C:
decipher
/dɪˈsʌɪfə/

Utter madness!
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:52 pm Why do beards only grow on the bottom half of your face? Why don't you get forehead beards?
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Polaroid wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:51 am I was always of the belief that when you looked in the dictionary or online for a definition of a word that the stuff just underneath it was a phonetic pronunciation of said word.

If that's the case it ain't much cop to man nor beast is it? Should I acquire a mirror and stand on my head to decipher half of it?

Evidence A:
knowledge
/ˈnɒlɪdʒ/

Evidence B:
scrotum
/ˈskrəʊtəm/

Evidence C:
decipher
/dɪˈsʌɪfə/

Utter madness!
It is if you know the International Phonetic Alphabet and/or its variations. You should be able to pronounce just about any word in, for the sake of argument we'll call indo-european languages with some degree of accuracy. Opera singers use it widely to make sure they don't sing utter gibberish when the opera is in a language they don't actually know.
It is actually very useful, once you get the hang of it:
decipher
/dɪˈsʌɪfə/

From this, you know a (British) English speaker will accentuate the second syllable, that the first e is pronounced like the first e of everybody and that the last r is not pronounced.We also know that the i is pronounced like the y of why and not the i of pip. It could be pronounced dessiffer, if you have never heard it, as English is not a "phonetic" language:
You cannot know how to pronounce a word from how it is spelled, as words spelled the same can have different pronuncitions and words pronounced the same can have many different spellings.