Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Are S-H and Puff on the naughty step?
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

alf git wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 pm Not always. Only since last night in fact.
On my way home, drove past what was essentially an outside launderette.
Not only were the machines outside, it was at a Shell garage.
Who the hell's going to a garage to do a wash?
Such places are common here in Portugal, they are normally outside supermarkets and often feature at least one large capacity machine for washing duvets etc.
A supermarket makes more sense as you can do your shopping and washing at the same time.
jevs
Has liked: 477 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by jevs »

I'm sure we had a giving up smoking thread but I can't find it.

Anyway, mrs has given up the fags for 5 weeks now and she still misses it really bad. She's got the vape stuff and patches via the NHS thing where she has to go for weekly visits to check how she's doing.

However, since being on the patches, she's been having some terrible nightmares every night without fail. She's almost wanting to start back on the fags as she's so stressed out about the horrible dreams she's having.

She was pre warned by the nurse that some bad dreams were possible but these are relentless to the point where she's worried about going to sleep at night.

Any suggestions?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Why are so many country roads national speed limit when they are often very narrow with blind bends? Is it just too much hassle to signpost them 30 or whatever a safer / more reasonable speed would be?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

jastons wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:46 pm Why are so many country roads national speed limit when they are often very narrow with blind bends? Is it just too much hassle to signpost them 30 or whatever a safer / more reasonable speed would be?
It's a limit, not a target.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

alf git wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:21 pm It's a limit, not a target.
I get that but the same could be said for all the roads in the country that have 40 / 50 mph signs along them.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

jastons wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:09 pm I get that but the same could be said for all the roads in the country that have 40 / 50 mph signs along them.
National speed limit signage is because different vehicle types have different limits.
It saves putting up multiple signs of different limits which would lead to all kinds of confusion.
In my work van on a B road my national speed limit is 50mph. In my car it's 60. On a dual carriageway it's 60 & 70.
All drivers should be aware of this. That some choose to ignore it is a different conversation.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

jastons wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:09 pm I get that but the same could be said for all the roads in the country that have 40 / 50 mph signs along them.
It could indeed, because it's true. You can get done for driving at an excessive speed even though you're below the limit.
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Hammerted »

Why are some horse races not run over the exact advertised distance?

For example, at Leicester the other day, the one mile race was run over 1m 0f 53yds, whilst the one and a half mile race was actually run over just 1m 3f 179yds.

I get that it probably doesn't make a huge difference to the outcome (although a punter whose runner is beaten on the line might disagree), but why not just move the starting stalls to the correct distance beforehand?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hammerted wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:59 pm Why are some horse races not run over the exact advertised distance?

For example, at Leicester the other day, the one mile race was run over 1m 0f 53yds, whilst the one and a half mile race was actually run over just 1m 3f 179yds.

I get that it probably doesn't make a huge difference to the outcome (although a punter whose runner is beaten on the line might disagree), but why not just move the starting stalls to the correct distance beforehand?
Because they're measured in furlongs, not miles. There's 8 furlongs to a mile or 1 furlong = 220 yards, 660 feet, or one-eighth of a mile so if the race is run over an odd number of furlongs, it won't tally up to the nearest mile. Furlongs are based on a Roman measurement of a "stade".
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Hammerted »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:40 pm Because they're measured in furlongs, not miles. There's 8 furlongs to a mile or 1 furlong = 220 yards, 660 feet, or one-eighth of a mile so if the race is run over an odd number of furlongs, it won't tally up to the nearest mile. Furlongs are based on a Roman measurement of a "stade".
All very interesting, GRCO, but missing the point somewhat.

In my examples above, I could have said that the 8 furlong race wasn't run over 8 furlongs, but in fact 8f and 53yds, whilst the 12 furlong race was foreshortened to just 11f and 179yds. My question is why 53 yards were added to the former and 41 yards removed from the latter?

At Ayr on Monday the two 6f races were run over exactly 6 furlongs, yet both the 7f races were contested over 7 furlongs and 50 yards.

I'm sure there must be a logical reason, but it's beyond me at the moment. Imagine the uproar if at the Olympics the 100m Final was run over 83m.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

I know exactly what you mean Hammerted and have often wondered the same myself. Doesn't seem to take much effort to make a 12 furlong race exactly 12 furlongs.
I'm off to Google land to try and find out.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:59 am Are S-H and Puff on the naughty step?
There's not a step large enough.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

What the balls is this? My son's girlfriend saw it at the side of the road when walking home through Central Brighton. About 6 to 8 inches long, apparently.....

I don't like it.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

It’s fine don’t worry, that’s just the first wave of an alien invasion, needs tweaking clearly.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Brighton..
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Looks like someone's already nicked the batteries.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

If nicotinoids kill bees, what pollinates tobacco plants?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:57 pm What the balls is this? My son's girlfriend saw it at the side of the road when walking home through Central Brighton. About 6 to 8 inches long, apparently.....

I don't like it.
Looks like a juvenile version of one of them b*stards in 'Tremors'..