Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:27 pm Splitting hairs
Not sure those old B&W photos do the uniforms justice.

ToMoS, being one of the HY founding members, would naturally pick up on those minor differences.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:17 pm Why are young cats called kittens, yet the jungle cat variety are called cubs?
Maybe its to do with size,as baby Rabbits are called Kittens as well.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:05 pm Not sure those old B&W photos do the uniforms justice.

ToMoS, being one of the HY founding members, would naturally pick up on those minor differences.
Being Welsh he might have had a voggle as vell.. I mean woggle as well..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Need a tire replaced on my car, anyone have any recommendations, or more importantly, who not to use?
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:40 pm Need a tire replaced on my car, anyone have any recommendations, or more importantly, who not to use?
A plumber
Samba

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:40 pm Need a tire replaced on my car, anyone have any recommendations, or more importantly, who not to use?
Too worn or unrepairable, H?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Recommendations:

A premium brand - it's the only thing that keeps your car in contact with the road, so don't scrimp and get the best you can get. There's YouTube video out there somewhere that showed that a brand new budget brand tyre with 8mm of tread has a longer stopping distance in the dry, and crucially, in the wet, than a premium brand with 2mm. So basically, get the cheapest premium brand from the cheapest place. So long as it's fitted and balanced properly, it doesn't matter where you get it from. Depending on what size your rims are, it can be only a difference of 30 quid between a budget and a premium anyway, if you shop around. Oh, and another tip - get the one on the opposite side of the car done too, if its less than 3-4mm so you have a matching pair. Only reason I say less than 3-4mm is it's pointless changing one with more than that as you're slinging money away, but if the tread is less than half, you may as well.

Avoid:

Budget tyres and part worns.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Samba wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:19 pm Too worn or unrepairable, H?
Leaking air, but was also flagged on the mot as an advisory (abnormalshape). As DL says below (above :phew: ), I don't want to be chauffeuring my kids about in a car which is suboptimal. So looking to change it up.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Leaking air may not be the tyre. I had one that kept going down, turned out the alloy wheel had some corrosion on the bead face. Had them refurbished and the problem went away. Another possibility is the valve, a bit of water and washing up liquid will soon tell you.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:35 pmLeaking air, but was also flagged on the mot as an advisory (abnormalshape).
:shock:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:17 pm The licence does relate to the BBC, but it is passed to the corporation, by the government.
The BBC is responsible for the issue, collection and enforcement of TV Licences under the Communications Act 2003.

Most of these activities are contracted to Capita
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm Recommendations:

A premium brand - it's the only thing that keeps your car in contact with the road, so don't scrimp and get the best you can get. There's YouTube video out there somewhere that showed that a brand new budget brand tyre with 8mm of tread has a longer stopping distance in the dry, and crucially, in the wet, than a premium brand with 2mm. So basically, get the cheapest premium brand from the cheapest place. So long as it's fitted and balanced properly, it doesn't matter where you get it from. Depending on what size your rims are, it can be only a difference of 30 quid between a budget and a premium anyway, if you shop around. Oh, and another tip - get the one on the opposite side of the car done too, if its less than 3-4mm so you have a matching pair. Only reason I say less than 3-4mm is it's pointless changing one with more than that as you're slinging money away, but if the tread is less than half, you may as well.

Avoid:

Budget tyres and part worns.
I had Goodyear's a few years ago. Grip in the wet and fuel economy were brilliant. A bit soft but worth it for safety and filling up at the pump. I now have kuhmo tyres which offer similar results and are cheaper than Goodyear's. Plus they wear less.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Whilst we're talking about tyres....

A few weeks ago I found this screw in my tyre. Third time it's happened, so off to the tyre shop again. 250 quid later they said that someone must have screwed it in because there was a thread in the tyre - if I'd run it over it would have just punched a hole, not made a thread.

I thought someone had a vendetta against me (barely believe able, I know) but having spoken to a few neighbours it seems like a lot of them have had the same experience. Obviously the work of a nut job.

Police aren't interested, won't even give it a crime number because it might just be coincidence that 20 people have run over screws. I said I'd set up cctv so we could film the bloke at it, but even then they said they wouldn't investigate, and I can't cctv the whole street.

What would you do?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Electrify your car.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

^^^ Wow, people obviously don't like being pulled up in the Joke thread, eh?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:06 am Electrify your car.

Good idea, but bad execution. The tires are rubber, so will act as an insulator. :chin:

How's about parking the car in a swimming pool and then electrify it?
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am Obviously the work of a nut job.
In the words of S-H , What a f*cking c*nt.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am Whilst we're talking about tyres....
What would you do?
If you will park on the beach..

I'd def set up cctv on your own car.
Have the three times been at regular intervals? Weekdays or weekends? If so, if you can, you could do some all-nighters, around roughly the next time they're 'due', staking out your car, waiting to pounce.. of course, the c*nt might get lucky & not do it on those nights.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Samba wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:24 pm If you will park on the beach..

I'd def set up cctv on your own car.
Have the three times been at regular intervals? Weekdays or weekends? If so, if you can, you could do some all-nighters, around roughly the next time they're 'due', staking out your car, waiting to pounce.. of course, the c*nt might get lucky & not do it on those nights.
Make sure you post your roster on here, just so we know your safe of course, and it's not so peoples know what night to visit. :newthumb:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am.
What would you do?
How about you park with that bit of the tire facing down? They won't be able to get to it then.