Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Samba »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:34 am Sure, but how is the octopus so much more intelligent than the fish it lives amongst?
Got more legs than most fish.
Or is it arms?..
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Should I join my workplace union?
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Sure,go for it!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Maybe, think it through first though.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

jastons wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:18 pm Should I join my workplace union?
Absolutely yes. The benefits far outweigh the pitfalls.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

No, if on a very local level, they're in the Company's pockets.
Obviously, not always easy to find out first..
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Absolutely join the union. It's not all about industrial action, if you get into individual difficulties or dispute they can represent you in a professional way as long as you are a member at the time said dispute arises
Speaking from regrettable experience and wouldn't wish trouble on you but you never know.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

There's both pros and cons to joining.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Could kinetic energy from gym equipment (e.g. treadmills, exercise bikes etc) be harnessed as renewable energy?
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

How long have you worked there and have they been any good when called upon? How likely are you going to need them? Even though you cannot be discriminated for being a member of the union is there any evedence that it secretly frowned upon? Last year I took up a lot of health and safety issues with the company I worked for. I sent the information to my union aswell, in case things got bad. My union did not even write back to acknowledge receipt of my letter. I worked on the underground in the 1980's and was a member of the RMT, they were a proactive union, maybe a little too proactive.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Do people not get bored talking about transfers, every single day?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

RaddyKovac wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:03 pm Could kinetic energy from gym equipment (e.g. treadmills, exercise bikes etc) be harnessed as renewable energy?
Absolutely, yes, and it probably will be soon. “Green” gyms that boast about their big Tesla battery banks that are used to power the equipment screens and suchlike, powered from the cardio kit, and charging you £300 a month to use it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:13 am Do people not get bored talking about transfers, every single day?
Ins
New gif meister - free

Outs
S-H
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:20 am Absolutely, yes, and it probably will be soon. “Green” gyms that boast about their big Tesla battery banks that are used to power the equipment screens and suchlike, powered from the cardio kit, and charging you £300 a month to use it.
Saw something like this on our local fb page. TBF they said that the fees would be offset by how much juice you generate, which does give an incentive to give it some welly
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:20 am Absolutely, yes, and it probably will be soon. “Green” gyms that boast about their big Tesla battery banks that are used to power the equipment screens and suchlike, powered from the cardio kit, and charging you £300 a month to use it.
Sounds a good idea, but of course it will be extortionate to begin with, like all early technology. Shame to have early barriers to entry though.
sendô

Post by sendô »

The issue as always will be storing that energy - the batteries for which will be expensive - and then getting agreement from the grid to export in order to earn from it.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Although I am interested in military things. I have no idea how and army is set up. IE how big is a platoon, a division, a regiment, a brigade an - army even? What is the order they are set up in? How many men in each section? Are they set up for certain functions - scouting, assault, cookery even? What's the chain of command? I have no idea who is above who? Lutenant, general, brigadeer, sgt - who's above who? What's the full chain of rank - from top to bottom.

TYIA.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

RaddyKovac wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:03 pm Could kinetic energy from gym equipment (e.g. treadmills, exercise bikes etc) be harnessed as renewable energy?
The amount of power generated on an exercise bike, for instance, is about 80W to 100W. So, if you pedal like **** continuously for an hour, you'd generate 0.1 kwh. That's about the same amount of power as you'd use if you spent an extra 10 seconds having a hot shower afterwards.

The amount of power that can be reclaimed are tiny, really. The energy savings made by a regenerating exercise bike will pay for the upgrade to the bike if its used continuously for about 12 years, which will never happen because the bikes are generally replaced every 5 years.

Gyms that have regenerating equipment see the investment as part of their marketing spend. They know the kit will never stack up financially, and will barely scratch the gym's overall power usage, but it'll get more sweaty butts on saddles.
sendô

Post by sendô »

WHU Independent wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:14 pm Although I am interested in military things. I have no idea how and army is set up. IE how big is a platoon, a division, a regiment, a brigade an - army even? What is the order they are set up in? How many men in each section? Are they set up for certain functions - scouting, assault, cookery even? What's the chain of command? I have no idea who is above who? Lutenant, general, brigadeer, sgt - who's above who? What's the full chain of rank - from top to bottom.

TYIA.
You can get all that info from wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army#Field_army

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ ... _hierarchy

Different nations have different set ups, and different formations within each nation might be set up differently depending on the skillset of that formation and what it might be expected to do in a combat scenario. Broadly speaking, in British armed forces it typically goes:

Field Marshall > Field Army or army group, consisting of a number of armies.
General > Army, consisting of a few corps
Lieutenant General > Corps, consisting of a few divisions
Major General > Division, consisting of a number of brigades depending on it's function
Brigadier > Brigade, consisting of a number of regiments or battallions
Colonel > Regiment, consisting of a few battalions
Lieutenant Colonel > Battalion, typically 500 to 1000 soliders, with each battalion broken down into companies commanded by a major, and the companies further broken down into platoons under a lieutenant, which are then broken down into squads under a sergeant, and a team under a lance corporal.