Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:43 pm Why are share prices delayed by 15 minutes on BBC Business and other financial websites?
I actually know this as I used to support the system that delivers the share prices. It's delayed so as the companies like Bloomberg, Reuters etc. don't get arsey with the BBC for publishing share prices for free. The share prices used to come into the BBC as XML files that were processed by a company that supplies all the big UK based financial websites. The system was upgraded a few years ago for this company to host the graphs and prices on their own system and the BBC taps into that to display it on their website.
Kludgehammer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:38 am Because 15 min delayed prices are free, and live prices cost a serious (per user) license fee from the stock exchange
Free for the end user to view but the BBC does pay quite a lot for access to the graphs and indices.
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:37 am Support for that was discontinued about 18 months ago
Not true, my app was last updated this month.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Yep there was a specific update recenty, but Google effectively end-of-lifed it 18 months ago
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:51 pm Yep there was a specific update recenty, but Google effectively end-of-lifed it 18 months ago
Oh ok, fair enough, mine does still work well though, support or not! :lol:
jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Everything I've read says that a diesel car is harder to stall than a petrol... So why do I keep stalling mine? Passed my test less than a month ago in a small petrol car so I don't have much driving experience.

I think I must be bringing the clutch up too fast with a higher biting point than I'm used to - and I'm getting better - but I thought they were harder to stall?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Diesel car has more lower torque Jastons, so yes theoretically it is slightly harder to stall. It's just getting the bite right, you will get there very soon as you drive more and get more experience under your belt. :newthumb:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

jastons wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 am Everything I've read says that a diesel car is harder to stall than a petrol... So why do I keep stalling mine? Passed my test less than a month ago in a small petrol car so I don't have much driving experience.

I think I must be bringing the clutch up too fast with a higher biting point than I'm used to - and I'm getting better - but I thought they were harder to stall?
You sure its not one of those auto-stop cars?
Years back I kept stalling a hire car. Only to realise that was what the problem was, nothing to do with me being too heavy footed.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Does anyone actually listen to Radio 3?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Do porridge oats go off?

Made some for myself this morning, did think they tasted a bit stale. Now I keep burping and feeling a just a little bit sick - should check the date on them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:22 pm Do porridge oats go off?

Made some for myself this morning, did think they tasted a bit stale. Now I keep burping and feeling a just a little bit sick - should check the date on them.
Nothing stays fresh for ever and they might have started to break down if they weren't air-tight stored.

Pretty sure, mind, that, if you ate them with milk, if they'd been so badly off that they could cause illness, you would have tasted that in the first spoonful.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:25 pm Nothing stays fresh for ever and they might have started to break down if they weren't air-tight stored.

Pretty sure, mind, that, if you ate them with milk, if they'd been so badly off that they could cause illness, you would have tasted that in the first spoonful.
:crylol: mate, probably not.

If its not moving - then I most likely missed any hints that it might be off. Not much gets noticed by me (I blame covid).. :crylol:

Oh well, I wanted to lose some weight this year anyhow.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

When I was younger, I could drink 4,5, 6 pints. Sleep all night. Get up in the morning, take a leak that seemingly was only about pint.

Now I am older, I have a couple of cans and I get up at 1am, 3am, and 6am and when I take a leak it seems to be about 3 - 4 pints of the yellow stuff, each time.

Do I need to see a Dr or is my recollection of my more youthful days somewhat clouded due to drink?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I expect you were still pissed in the mornings, back then, and didn't notice the wet mattress.
sword
Has liked: 55 likes

Post by sword »

Does anyone actually listen to Radio 3?

It's hard to believe, I know, but between 1 and 2% of England's population over the last year or so. So about 1/3 that of Radio 1. Note that Radio 2 is streets ahead of these two in terms of popularity :shocker:
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

sword wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:41 pm Does anyone actually listen to Radio 3?

It's hard to believe, I know, but between 1 and 2% of England's population over the last year or so. So about 1/3 that of Radio 1. Note that Radio 2 is streets ahead of these two in terms of popularity :shocker:
I listen to it all the time - I find it much more relaxing as background music and the documentaries and features are excellent (they are about all sorts of stuff, not just about music or culture) and generally cleverer than Radio 4. They've revamped the presenters over the last few years, so it's much more accessible and friendly.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I occasionally try to but keep going back to Classic FM. Classic usually play tuneful stuff to which you can hum or tap your foot. Radio 3 on the other hand, now I may just be unlucky whenever I dip in, to me sounds like stuff that exists purely to study for exams, or to borrow a brilliant simile I heard a while back, a fire in a zoo.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Gormalysis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:06 pm Does anyone actually listen to Radio 3?
Yep, most mornings 6.30-9.00. ( and other times if it's a composer I like that's featured). Can't find a music station that plays my kind of 'popular' stuff, and Classic FM always has 'celebrity' announcers.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Gormalysis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:06 pm Does anyone actually listen to Radio 3?
No but I do listen to BBC Radio 4 Extra. Lucky dip of comedy, dramas, documentary type things. Sometimes cr@p but often loads of good stuff.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Thanks, I didn’t realise it was popular, I always thought people just went from 1 to 2 to 4. Everytime I’ve switched to it there seems to be someone talking really softly or some weird music like Greensleeves playing.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:06 pm When I was younger, I could drink 4,5, 6 pints. Sleep all night. Get up in the morning, take a leak that seemingly was only about pint.

Now I am older, I have a couple of cans and I get up at 1am, 3am, and 6am and when I take a leak it seems to be about 3 - 4 pints of the yellow stuff, each time.

Do I need to see a Dr or is my recollection of my more youthful days somewhat clouded due to drink?
Get your Prostate checked sussex, it's only a PSA blood test to start with.
Good luck.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had a radical (full removal) prostectomy back in 2007.