Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Rocketron »

sword wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:25 pm Snap! Looked this up over the weekend when queried by the missus, short for "rashly roasted".
Bacon isn't roasted, it is' fried or grilled.
Sorry, thank you for replying.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

About a year ago, I got covid. Then a verucca cleared up within a couple of weeks of testing negative. This Easter, I got covid, and in the last 2 weeks a wart that has been on my finger for the last year has quickly regressed. (I'm not, generally, riddled with warts - no more to mention)

What's that all about!? Online suggests that the jab can kick start your body to fight viruses, but what about covid itself... is it likely that your body, post-covid can go into overdrive and start fighting other viruses?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Awooga_Iron wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:25 pm About a year ago, I got covid. Then a verucca cleared up within a couple of weeks of testing negative. This Easter, I got covid, and in the last 2 weeks a wart that has been on my finger for the last year has quickly regressed. (I'm not, generally, riddled with warts - no more to mention)

What's that all about!? Online suggests that the jab can kick start your body to fight viruses, but what about covid itself... is it likely that your body, post-covid can go into overdrive and start fighting other viruses?
Going by your anecdote, it sounds plausible. :newthumb:
It is a new kind of virus, after all.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Why do driving test examiners wear hi-viz vests?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

and.... what happens when eventually so many people are wearing them, that to safely stand out to road users /etc it's safer not to wear one?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:26 am Why do driving test examiners wear hi-viz vests?
That'll be because as part of their job role they're expected to have to stand in/next to the road at times. Someone would have risk assessed this job requirement, and concluded that a hi vis vest helps mitigate this risk by making them easier to see.
Tenbury wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:35 am and.... what happens when eventually so many people are wearing them, that to safely stand out to road users /etc it's safer not to wear one?
People wearing hi vis vests will almost always be easier to see than people not wearing them. It's for the same reason that construction site workers always wear hi vis vests, or railway workers etc.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:17 am People wearing hi vis vests will almost always be easier to see than people not wearing them. It's for the same reason that construction site workers always wear hi vis vests, or railway workers etc.
I did see something about how over the years people have gone hi vis blind.
You can see more and more variations on the theme, used to be just yellow/green-ish, now you get pink, blue, etc to try to stand out more.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Sign blindness is a real issue on construction sites. They put so many up people stop noticing them, and then miss important information.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

sendô wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:30 pm Sign blindness is a real issue on construction sites. They put so many up people stop noticing them, and then miss important information.
Does get crazy when the notice board takes up more than a single large wall space. :crossed:
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Does any of the Kumb collective know anything about MOT failures....especially tyres?

The old boy up the road has a battered old van and at least 3 of his tyres are completely bald around the outside (where the wall meets the tread)....but fine on the flat part. MOT failure/illegal?

Ta muchly
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

At the least, it's likely to seriously need the tracking sorted(worst case scenario, susp/steering needs attention). If he replaces the tyres, a decent garage will do the tracking for a few quid at the same time,and he will, at least, not be leaving any "major clues" for any Mot inspector to go delving into (and, perhaps delaying his lunch break, if you get my meaning..)

I run old motors (currently '03 non turbo Skoda Diesel, which cost me 350 quid four years and 70,000 miles ago) and you tend to learn' The Art' of passing an MOT. [ Encourage him to keep the old wreck going, it's the greenest form of motoring.. :eyes:]
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

jevs wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:32 am Does any of the Kumb collective know anything about MOT failures....especially tyres?

The old boy up the road has a battered old van and at least 3 of his tyres are completely bald around the outside (where the wall meets the tread)....but fine on the flat part. MOT failure/illegal?

Ta muchly
So long as the cord isn't showing it's legal. The bit that matters is the bit that has the tread wear indicators. I know this as I had to change my two front boots a couple of weeks ago, and was told by the garage (which is also an MOT testing station) that from a legal point of view, no they didn't need changing as I still had 3.5mm tread across the centre - but from a safety point of view, I'm doing the right thing in changing them.

He may be rotating them on the vehicle too eek more life out of them - because cars in The UK will always get excessive wear on the outer edge on the nearside front wheels, and inner edge on offside front when - because of the amount of times we steer to the right going around roundabouts. You'll get that even with perfectly aligned tracking.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Looking to make use of the free gym at work. Need to get myself some cheap trainers but am conscious of the fact that the last time I bought a pair of trainers they were somewhat narrow.

Any suggestions for buying reasonable trainers, on the cheap, that cater for wider-bodied persons?

Do those skater style trainers work ok for use at the gym?

Cheers
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Do the batteries in electric cars lose charge when they're not being used? I suppose the dinosaur juice equivalent would be a slow fuel tank leak. If there's say a hundred units of electric in the battery and it's not used for a week, will there still be a hundred units left?
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:29 pm Do the batteries in electric cars lose charge when they're not being used? I suppose the dinosaur juice equivalent would be a slow fuel tank leak. If there's say a hundred units of electric in the battery and it's not used for a week, will there still be a hundred units left?
No.

But I've not done the test to see how much I lose. All I can see is that the camera sentry eats quite a lot !!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

The battery will lose charge, but it's minimal. For EVs, anything above 50% charge will last several months if left unused.
sendô

Post by sendô »

All batteries will eventually lose charge, even without being used at all.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 am Looking to make use of the free gym at work. Need to get myself some cheap trainers but am conscious of the fact that the last time I bought a pair of trainers they were somewhat narrow.

Any suggestions for buying reasonable trainers, on the cheap, that cater for wider-bodied persons?

Do those skater style trainers work ok for use at the gym?

Cheers
Brooks do trainers that are extra wide (often shown as 2E on sizing). Not cheap but mightily comfortable - if you want to minimise cost, I’d always buy cheaper kit - T-shirts, shirts but spending a bit more on comfy footware is always worthwhile and stops annoying things like blisters, knackered knees and joints.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Cheers PJ, thing is that I can't see myself doing much running, well not for a while until I can get my CV levels up a bit (quite a bit tbh, what with my post pandemic timber). Mostly looking at building my core up a bit.

Not too keen on the price for something that don't really think I will need.

Just gutted that the Gazelles I got for Christmas are so f'ing narrow. :swear:
sendô

Post by sendô »

Couldn't you just run from the Hamilton Hall to the train each evening, Hummer? :wink: