Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Shy Ted »

Heysel76 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:49 pm GEORGE HELCH IS INNOCENT
I saw one in on a bridge in London once (I think near Plumstead) it said "Jesus Saves", somebody wrote underneath "Not on my F...... wages he can't".
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

After reading the Paqueta thread......

What are the rules (or are there any rules) regarding the names that players have on the back of their shirts? Brazilians and Portuguese, especially, seem to play a bit fast and loose.

Paqueta, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Chiquarito, Hulk, Pato, Nani, Fernandinho, Isco off the top of my head....they're all just nicknames. Pele, even. Could Dawson have Ballon on his back?

Also, Ravel Morrison, Dele Alli, Bryan Ruiz, Alex is Sanchez all had their first names.

It's chaos. I don't like it.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Jonah wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 pm Sad times. Up there with M Khan is bent.
i miss the north circ traffic jams in southgate :-) as well as ' veneer of the week @ Shadbolts
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Anyone wanting to know what the bright object in the sky just above and to the left of the moon it's Jupiter. Not that good to see with the moon full and close. I did see the two red/brown belts, (but could not make out the big red spot) and 4 of its moons as bright dots.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

hammer etc wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:06 am Anyone wanting to know what the bright object in the sky just above and to the left of the moon it's Jupiter. Not that good to see with the moon full and close. I did see the two red/brown belts, (but could not make out the big red spot) and 4 of its moons as bright dots.
Thanks. Was going to ask. :newthumb:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

What I want to know is if this meteorite hit the Earth all those years ago and wiped out all the dinosaurs, how did a single strike kill them all.

I get it was enormous but surely they all couldn't have been in the same place on the planet when it hit, unless they was a convention or summink.

Surely ONE of the ****ers would have missed the memo and been somewhere else.

doesn't add up to me, it didn't wipe out all animals on the planet just the Dinos, nah I smell a rat
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 pm What I want to know is if this meteorite hit the Earth all those years ago and wiped out all the dinosaurs, how did a single strike kill them all.

I get it was enormous but surely they all couldn't have been in the same place on the planet when it hit, unless they was a convention or summink.

doesn't add up to me, it didn't wipe out all animals on the planet just the Dinos, nah I smell a rat
The explosive nature of the asteroid hitting the ground sent up enough debris to obliterate the sun which killed off vegetation some survived on. Bit like a nuclear winter apparently.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Something about the meteorite hitting shallow sea was significant (rather than land or deep ocean), can't remember why though 🤔
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:51 pm The explosive nature of the asteroid hitting the ground sent up enough debris to obliterate the sun which killed off vegetation some survived on. Bit like a nuclear winter apparently.
Yep. There was so much debris thrown into the atmosphere it enveloped the entire earth for many years. This caused what we would now call crop failure, meaning plant eating animals had nothing to eat and died out en masse, closely followed by those carnivores that ate the plant eaters. Those creatures that survived were smaller, therefore needing less food, omnivorous, so could eat whatever was available, and adaptable. Mammals.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 pm What I want to know is if this meteorite hit the Earth all those years ago and wiped out all the dinosaurs, how did a single strike kill them all.

They didn't get an invite on to the ark.
No conspiracy here.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 pm nah I smell a rat
Maybe so did the dinosaurs. Our little furry ancestors were already nicking dinosaur eggs, the little gits. Also, the supposition is that the asteroid hit was so massive that it disrupted the climate and therefore food for a very long time ('nuclear winter'), which meant them poor auld big fellers were doomed.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

House spiders.

From what I know, they cannot survive outside at all.

So, why do I have dozens of the ugly buggers in my house? It's newly built, in the middle of nowhere with no other houses in sight. How did they get here? Do they have some sort of spider uber app that notifies them when a new house is built so that a couple of families can catch a car over and move in with us uninvited? How did they get here? Is this a sign of a coming spider-pocalypse?

HOW?! WHY??!!!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Spiders are able to fly. I’m not kidding.

Broadly speaking, they go where they will find food.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

bobby0303 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:57 am House spiders.

HOW?! WHY??!!!
Mistra know-it-all here, but I did read something about symbiotic everlution and it seems that them big ugly things chose us way back in pre-history. Lots of food lying around. Why they come in at Autumn, I dunno. Warmth I guess. I'm happy to say that I come downstairs to see the cats have splatted one, except the monster in the bath the other week that they would only chase.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:57 pm Yep. There was so much debris thrown into the atmosphere it enveloped the entire earth for many years. This caused what we would now call crop failure, meaning plant eating animals had nothing to eat and died out en masse, closely followed by those carnivores that ate the plant eaters. Those creatures that survived were smaller, therefore needing less food, omnivorous, so could eat whatever was available, and adaptable. Mammals.
Mammals also spend more time rearing their young, which was an advantage when food was so scarce.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 am Mammals also spend more time rearing their young, which was an advantage when food was so scarce.
Not in Staines they don't
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:27 pm Not in Staines they don't

That's not fair. Neanderthals are still mammalian.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:41 pm That's not fair. Neanderthals are still mammalian.
#NeanderthalLivesMatter
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

bobby0303 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:57 am House spiders.

So, why do I have dozens of the ugly buggers in my house? It's newly built, in the middle of nowhere with no other houses in sight. How did they get here? Do they have some sort of spider uber app that notifies them when a new house is built so that a couple of families can catch a car over and move in with us uninvited? How did they get here? Is this a sign of a coming spider-pocalypse?

HOW?! WHY??!!!
Having worked on new builds, I can tell you it is part of the secret handover package the developer has.

The 'real' handover pack consists of things like a box of house spiders, fly's eggs, ear-wigs, etc,.

A 'jiggery' pad (which when placed correctly shakes walls, floors, etc. to create hairline cracks in finished plastered surfaces - these will be generally out of reach to anyone without either a scaffold system, or a handy MEWP) and a 'pipe blocker', which when correctly utilised will create a legacy blockage in one, or many drainage pipes.

Other lesser known bonuses include things like twin & earth cable laid directly into screeded floors,or cemented into walls -basically acting like a slow burn self-destruct system on the homes cables, and slight divots in waste lines, again acting like a slow-burn blockage.

All the above are carefully timed so as to come to fruition post builders-warranty when fabric related, and immediately upon occupancy for flora/fauna related bonuses.

:newthumb:
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:51 am Having worked on new builds...

:newthumb:
The spider corruption goes far deeper than I ever suspected, evidently. They have already started incorporating human subservients.

At least now I can sleep safe in the knowledge that, as my home burns down around me, the ensuing inferno will take the house spiders with it :fire: