Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Polaroid »

I think so Shabu.
But they're usually seen with ear trumpets, dressed in tweed and shouting at clouds
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:09 am Do people in England still say Oriental to describe East Asians?
I prefer the term 'Asian', seeng as it winds my wife up no end.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Seems like I can get early access to Bard, googles AI bot (I think). Not sure what to with it, any suggestions?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Ask it 🤷‍♂️
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

-DL- wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:45 am Ask it 🤷‍♂️
Great idea.

what should i ask you

You can ask me anything you want. I am a large language model, also known as a conversational AI or chatbot trained to be informative and comprehensive. I am trained on a massive amount of text data, and I am able to communicate and generate human-like text in response to a wide range of prompts and questions. For example, I can provide summaries of factual topics or create stories.

I now feel like I'm at some dinner party and stuck with someone who I don't know and have nothing in common with. Loads of awkward silences followed by lots of staring into space .. come on think of something to say.... Bit early, but may be if I sink a few beers I might manage a conversation with the damn thing.. :chin:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

:grin:
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

I have a quandry. Sadly my Mrs' Nan passed away last Thursday after that prick Dementia got the better of her. (At least she is at peace now). Anyway, my Mrs' brother did literally nothing to help with care, he tricked their Nan into writing a will that says he gets 50% of whatever remains after whatever final costs etc. (by the time we knew what had happened her Nan was beyond Compos Mentis and it would have been a costly legal thing to resolve). He did show up for the last week of her life but that's the best I can say. In the meantime it was me who ended up arranging / attending all the appointments, shopping, getting medication, making hundreds of phone calls etc because I am self-employed and my Mrs and her brother see this as me "having all the freetime in the world"!

The long and short of it is I have lost out on just shy of £9k of earnings due the amount of days I couldn't work. Roughly a third of that amount was to help my Mrs out; and I truly don't begrudge that but the biggest part of it was racked up because her brother did nothing and refused to help.

I have been advised to invoice his half of the remaining estate to cover my losses. I don't know what to do. I know it will cause a s*** storm with him but equally I think it is utterly unjust for him to sit there and wait for "his" money to arrive which his Nan never wanted him to have.

Don't know what to do.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

I would imagine if you have a successful claim it would come out before the money is split between the beneficiaries which I assume is your wife and your brother in-law.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Xander wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:44 pm I have a quandry. Sadly my Mrs' Nan passed away last Thursday after that prick Dementia got the better of her. (At least she is at peace now). Anyway, my Mrs' brother did literally nothing to help with care, he tricked their Nan into writing a will that says he gets 50% of whatever remains after whatever final costs etc. (by the time we knew what had happened her Nan was beyond Compos Mentis and it would have been a costly legal thing to resolve). He did show up for the last week of her life but that's the best I can say. In the meantime it was me who ended up arranging / attending all the appointments, shopping, getting medication, making hundreds of phone calls etc because I am self-employed and my Mrs and her brother see this as me "having all the freetime in the world"!

The long and short of it is I have lost out on just shy of £9k of earnings due the amount of days I couldn't work. Roughly a third of that amount was to help my Mrs out; and I truly don't begrudge that but the biggest part of it was racked up because her brother did nothing and refused to help.

I have been advised to invoice his half of the remaining estate to cover my losses. I don't know what to do. I know it will cause a s*** storm with him but equally I think it is utterly unjust for him to sit there and wait for "his" money to arrive which his Nan never wanted him to have.

Don't know what to do.
You have two option as I see it mate.

1. Invoice him which more than likely he'll laugh at and ignore completely which leaves you with the option of going down the legal route - big and costly gamble and even then it'll be a drawn out lengthy process. The stress involved, not to mention the animosity could put a strain on your relationship.

2. Tell your brother-in-law exactly what you think of him, vow never to speak to him again, swallow the cost to you (easy for me to say, I know) and walk away with your head held high.

Me personally, I'd go for option 2.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Xander wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:44 pm I have a quandry.

Don't know what to do.
You hear this time and time again when it comes to relatives passing away. Money really is the root of all evil.

What’s the relationship like between your wife and her brother? If it’s good then it’s a tough call.

If she doesn’t get on with him that well, and would back you if you invoiced him I’d go for it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Why is it after a great night's sleep, you wake up, knackered ?

Post by Puff Daddy »

I just don't understand it. I had fully 9 hours kip last night, didn't even wake up to have a piss in the middle of the night, yet woke up this morning feeling exhausted and tired out. Honestly, I am beginning to think the less sleep I have the better I feel the next day
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: Why is it after a great night's sleep, you wake up, knackered ?

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Something to do with the circadian rhythm getting thrown off I believe.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Supposedly you are meant to go to bed at the same time, wake up at the same time, and have a regular amount of sleep.

Lay ins disturb your body clock and sleep pattern.

That and you are just old and in decline. :wink:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

After experiencing constant anxiety of late I took my first diazepam on Thursday - I slept from 10.30 pm until around 3 pm and then I got back to sleep getting up at 7 am .

I repeated the process last night and didn't get to sleep until gone 4 am , I got up at 7 am - diazepam has had that effect on me before in hospital , it can act as more of a stimulant on me rather than knock me out . Strange .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

PS. I am slowly beginning to wake up a bit now. I am putting that down to a bowl of Keloggs Frosties and a strong coffee
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Keep us posted Puff
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

A good night's sleep, what is this thing of which you speak?

Due to my new diet I'm very often very hungry at night. I'm not a good sleeper and haven't been for years, but how come if I'm hungry when I go to bed I'm not hungry when I wake/ get up usually about 2 or 3 hours later? :chin:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

What is awful is having to have a **** in the middle of the night. Has this ever happened to you ? It seems so surreal and shouldn't happen
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:19 am What is awful is having to have a **** in the middle of the night. Has this ever happened to you ? It seems so surreal and shouldn't happen
Not sure if you're referring to a s**t or a w**k.
If it's the former, get out of bed first and you should be fine :newthumb:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Not sure why Puff has starred out the word 'cake'