Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by S-H »

:D

I was sat watching Baby Shark with my boy earlier, and the baby shark who lives in the ocean, couldn't go outside to play because.. it was RAINING!

🙃
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

last.caress wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 pm The Death Star in the original Star Wars (Lucas, 1977) was so new, so recently constructed that an experienced smuggler like Han Solo had never heard of it, and the Empire had only just tested the Death Star's destructive capability for the first and only time (blowing up Alderaan). Right? Right. So if it was that shiny and new, who put a hideous tentacled monster in the trash compactor below the detention block? How did they get it in there? Why did they fling it down there? And why was it all swampy in that trash compactor? Wouldn't it just have been dry rubbish from the construction? Bit of plasterboard, some excess coving, couple of tins of Autoglym, et cetera?

And why were there trash compactors on the Death Star anyway? Makes sense for us to compact our trash before recycling it or sticking it in a landfill, but the Death Star's just going to eject its trash into the eternal void of space, isn't it? Responsible waste management doesn't square too well with a space station designed solely to blow entire planets to pieces, does it? :chin:
These are all great points. I’d never thought about any of this before.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 pm The Death Star in the original Star Wars (Lucas, 1977) was so new, so recently constructed that an experienced smuggler like Han Solo had never heard of it, and the Empire had only just tested the Death Star's destructive capability for the first and only time (blowing up Alderaan). Right? Right. So if it was that shiny and new, who put a hideous tentacled monster in the trash compactor below the detention block? How did they get it in there? Why did they fling it down there? And why was it all swampy in that trash compactor? Wouldn't it just have been dry rubbish from the construction? Bit of plasterboard, some excess coving, couple of tins of Autoglym, et cetera?
You obviously have never worked on a large scale building site, never enough bogs and all those hairy arsed builders do more than just 'dry rubbish'.

last.caress wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 pm And why were there trash compactors on the Death Star anyway? Makes sense for us to compact our trash before recycling it or sticking it in a landfill, but the Death Star's just going to eject its trash into the eternal void of space, isn't it? Responsible waste management doesn't square too well with a space station designed solely to blow entire planets to pieces, does it? :chin:
Probably there as part of the carbon offset - during the tender the Empire probably had this in its ITT documents, so whoever won the contract to build the deathstar would have included details of a waste management plan. :newthumb:

Sendo (and others on here) will know more about this type of thing.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

George Lucas: "Who's ever going to notice such trivial details"?

Elsie: "Hold my pint"
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Got an android phone, unlock it and you're on the home screen, swipe to the right and you get news feeds, problem is they're crap, and I mean real crap.

Any recommendations to replace that screen with news, current affairs, etc.? Looking for stuff relevant to the UK and if it could be localised better still. :newthumb:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:16 am Got an android phone, unlock it and you're on the home screen, swipe to the right and you get news feeds, problem is they're crap, and I mean real crap.

Any recommendations to replace that screen with news, current affairs, etc.? Looking for stuff relevant to the UK and if it could be localised better still. :newthumb:
Sign into google and get push notifications from there. They're usually localised if you share your location.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Press and hold on the home screen, scroll to the left and turn it off. :)
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

My son has recently started to go to the gym, I was thinking about Christmas and what to buy him and was thinking weight training belt - but can't think about any other stuff he might want/need.

Back in the day it was an old cotton tee shirt, skanky pair of old PE shorts and a borrowed wide leather belt. These days, kids seem to be interested in what they wear as much as what they're doing, so looking for some inspiration. I mean are those tees that 'wick' away sweat and are breathable any good, or just a gimmick, etc. ?

cheers.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:32 am My son has recently started to go to the gym, I was thinking about Christmas and what to buy him and was thinking weight training belt - but can't think about any other stuff he might want/need.

Back in the day it was an old cotton tee shirt, skanky pair of old PE shorts and a borrowed wide leather belt. These days, kids seem to be interested in what they wear as much as what they're doing, so looking for some inspiration. I mean are those tees that 'wick' away sweat and are breathable any good, or just a gimmick, etc. ?

cheers.
Thank me later ...

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:46 am Thank me later ...
Any links to sellers? :crylol:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:32 am My son has recently started to go to the gym, I was thinking about Christmas and what to buy him and was thinking weight training belt - but can't think about any other stuff he might want/need.

cheers.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

cheers.
Unless he's already at the stage where he's lifting very heavy, he probably won't need a belt yet. Maybe gloves? Supplements are popular too... they really buy into all that stuff despite the negligible effects that most of it has. Maybe a big tub of whey protein and creatine, and some pre-workout formulation. He'd probably like that.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

What are my pronouns? I did an interview the other day with a BBC Cymru journalist and she asked me what they were. I genuinely didn’t know. Tosser / Nobhead?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:36 pm What are my pronouns? I did an interview the other day with a BBC Cymru journalist and she asked me what they were. I genuinely didn’t know. Tosser / Nobhead?
Mortgage -free?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:36 pm What are my pronouns? I did an interview the other day with a BBC Cymru journalist and she asked me what they were. I genuinely didn’t know. Tosser / Nobhead?
He Him His Himself
or... She Her Hers Herself
or... They Them Their Theirs Themself

or one of the other ones that I don't know.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:20 pm He Him His Himself
or... She Her Hers Herself
or... They Them Their Theirs Themself

or one of the other ones that I don't know.
I’m male which I identify as.

In fairness, the journo found me on Twitter. It was an interview about my latest tattoo. I was going to get a semi colon but went with Yma O Hyd instead.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm I’m male which I identify as.

In fairness, the journo found me on Twitter. It was an interview about my latest tattoo. I was going to get a semi colon but went with Yma O Hyd instead.
Didn't you get a semi colon in hospital, Jim?
(Sorry - couldn't resist!)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm I’m male which I identify as.

I identify as a donkey. My pronouns are He/Haw
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Samba wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:31 pm Didn't you get a semi colon in hospital, Jim?
(Sorry - couldn't resist!)
Colonic irrigation maybe. And a gloved finger up there to check my prostate.

It was a symbol to suggest a continuation of life. I did my best to die twice this year but the Doctors had other ideas!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Do domestic fridges and freezers ever need regassing? Is it even possible?