Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:27 pm One car doing 20 trips is not necessarily any more efficient than 20 cars each doing 1 trip though...
Perhaps not, but it's 20 less cars on the road, and multiply that by the 21k black cabs in London, then that's potentially 420000 trips in a car not taken, as well as the same amount of cars not on the road. Then tell me what's better for the environment, especially as now the vast majority of black cabs are Euro 6, along with a quarter of them being electric...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

-DL- wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:37 pm Perhaps not, but it's 20 less cars on the road,
Is it though? If 20 cars each go out one at a time, doing 20 individual trips in turn, then that's the same number of cars as one uber doing all those trips one after the other.

In fact, in pure distance driven stats the 20 cars doing individual journeys is more efficient as they only go from point a to point b, whereas the uber needs to finish one trip, then drive to the start of the next trip and so on, adding extra miles in between.

Of course the efficiency and cleanliness of each car is a different thing.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm Is it though? If 20 cars each go out one at a time, doing 20 individual trips in turn, then that's the same number of cars as one uber doing all those trips one after the other.

In fact, in pure distance driven stats the 20 cars doing individual journeys is more efficient as they only go from point a to point b, whereas the uber needs to finish one trip, then drive to the start of the next trip and so on, adding extra miles in between.

Of course the efficiency and cleanliness of each car is a different thing.
The conversation isn't about Uber. They're not allowed to use bus lanes, and they're not Taxis. They're unqualified private hire and a scourge on London's streets.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Thinking about shutting down all my cloud back up services to save some money.

Is there any way someone can set up their own backing up system, i.e. personal server, or something? Don't understand IT so any help needs to be for stupid people, with no, or little technical talk.

Cheers.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

NAS (Network Attached Storage)

It's basically a box of disks which lives on your own home network. You can do pretty much anything on NAS that you can do with cloud storage, maybe even more.

You can get up and running with a simple home NAS for around £300-£400, but bear in mind when looking at which enclosure to buy (there are loads) the price usually doesn't include disks. There's lots of stuff on t'internets about it, fill your boots.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

-DL- wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:43 pm The conversation isn't about Uber. They're not allowed to use bus lanes, and they're not Taxis. They're unqualified private hire and a scourge on London's streets.
the younger generation , dont care about the qualifications of the driver its all ££££ to them, and i have plenty of family who are london cabbies.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:21 am .............. There's lots of stuff on t'internets about it, fill your boots.
Cheers, just been looking at the link you provided, starts becoming a proper rabbit hole once you stat opening up the attached/associated links.

Will look into this .
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Just keep it simple. Use it for what you said and perhaps a music or media server. If you want to go a bit further you could have a section for common files accessable to everyone on the network and allocate private storage for them as well. As you say, it's a rabbit hole with very steep sides but it can be kept simple.
jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I live in a ground floor flat and dislike my neighbours. I hate the thought of them benefiting from my central heating. If I put tin foil on my ceiling, will it help to keep the heat in?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:21 am NAS (Network Attached Storage)

It's basically a box of disks which lives on your own home network. You can do pretty much anything on NAS that you can do with cloud storage, maybe even more.

You can get up and running with a simple home NAS for around £300-£400, but bear in mind when looking at which enclosure to buy (there are loads) the price usually doesn't include disks. There's lots of stuff on t'internets about it, fill your boots.
Or for a much cheaper way - I use an array of hard discs in my PC tower, and make it accessible to all devices on the network.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hosting your own SMB network storage service is simple enough, but if you want to replace apple’s iCloud storage service to automagically back up your phones, you’ll probably need a third party tool. Android might be easier, mind.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Both DL and dnn are correct as usual, but I'd say a NAS setup would be the simplest option for someone with self confessed 'little or no technical skills'. A disk array needs installing and setting up, and fighting Windows networking tries the best of us. I'm convinced Microsoft's starting point is "Thou shalt not network using Windows". Every step is met with obstacles like "Please enter your network credentials" and "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your network administrator", even on Windows Home.

With admittedly more expensive NAS it can be as simple as Plug and Play, and they all have their own application/operating system appearing as a user interface on the PC, making it easy to set up (and change) your requirements.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

jastons wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am I live in a ground floor flat and dislike my neighbours. I hate the thought of them benefiting from my central heating. If I put tin foil on my ceiling, will it help to keep the heat in?
Better still, line your ceiling with foil-back foam board.

You may need to research its fire resitive (?) qualities before installing, as you'd not want to be running through melting plastic to reach the front door. :newthumb:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

jastons wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am I live in a ground floor flat and dislike my neighbours. I hate the thought of them benefiting from my central heating. If I put tin foil on my ceiling, will it help to keep the heat in?
Yes.
With the additional benefit of acting as a soft focus mirror 😂
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Sydney Sweeney?
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:09 am Apparently the term "wifi" doesn't actually stand for anything. :chin:
It stands for wireless fidelity.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Estuary wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:46 pm It stands for wireless fidelity.
It doesn't, it was a generic brand name created by Interbrand to describe wireless device communication, despite what Wiki says. It's just a play on the words Hi-Fi, which of course, IS short for High Fidelity - nothing more, nothing less.

Quite literally, the term was created by a marketing firm because the wireless industry was looking for a user-friendly name to refer to some not so user-friendly technology known as IEEE 802.11.

So ner. :grin:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Also, it's pronounced wiffy.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 am Thinking about shutting down all my cloud back up services to save some money.

Is there any way someone can set up their own backing up system, i.e. personal server, or something? Don't understand IT so any help needs to be for stupid people, with no, or little technical talk.

Cheers.
Really depends what you want to back up. NAS servers come with their own OS and usually a whole array of features that you may or may not use, if you are simply backing up documents with no need for streaming etc then you could always consider a humble USB stick. Be aware though that anything that sits in your house could be either stolen or destroyed (fire for example) and unless you were to set up remote access to your home network then you wont be able to access the data on the move.

Ive got 100gb on One Drive which costs peanuts, if you have slightly more than that then maybe create a 2nd account?
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

If you have a limb amputated do you get the option of keeping it?