Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 592 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by vietnammer »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 pm Why do we say left handed & left footed instead of left armed & left legged?
Maybe because hands & feet are extremities, or the 'business end' of limbs that manipulate things?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:25 pm How is it decided how motorways and A-roads are numbered?
I'm sure DL is your man for this, I am sure he posted about it before.
Tenbury
Has liked: 728 likes
Total likes: 1226 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I asked this about 20 pages back, and DL supplied an extremely comprehensive answer. (which I've forgotten).
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Obviously, this places anonymity means that most posters don’t know each other, so when you rock up at somewhere new (workwise, and other ) do you make attempts to gauge whether there is someone from here working with you?

When I was working agency, I used to dig for details from those I ended up working with Like does the person support WHU? If not, then no worries - if they did, then try to see whether they follow this site or not.

Can only recall one incident where someone followed this site but said that they didn’t post on here.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:21 pm He'll be back when he needs a new TV.
Or when Russia invades Wales..
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Motorways are basically numbered clockwise from London, starting with the M1 going North, except where they take on the number of an A road which has been converted to motorway, or runs alongside it.

2-digit motorways are (mostly) numbered clockwise from the 1-digit motorway they're nearest to
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:28 pm Obviously, this places anonymity means that most posters don’t know each other, so when you rock up at somewhere new (workwise, and other ) do you make attempts to gauge whether there is someone from here working with you?

When I was working agency, I used to dig for details from those I ended up working with Like does the person support WHU? If not, then no worries - if they did, then try to see whether they follow this site or not.

Can only recall one incident where someone followed this site but said that they didn’t post on here.
Yeah, that's what I always say..
Shabu
Has liked: 4187 likes
Total likes: 2050 likes

Post by Shabu »

Kludgehammer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:30 pm Motorways are basically numbered clockwise from London, starting with the M1 going North, except where they take on the number of an A road which has been converted to motorway, or runs alongside it.

2-digit motorways are (mostly) numbered clockwise from the 1-digit motorway they're nearest to
I remember in about 1992 I was going to stay at a mates cottage in Pickering, West Yorkshire & her dad wrote directions of a scrap of paper.

It started with what I thought said AIM North which I thought was a bit vague & obvious but it turned out that was the name of the road north of the M25.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:25 pm How is it decided how motorways and A-roads are numbered?
There's a zoning system in Great Britain that works in a radial pattern centred on London (where else).

So for instance zone 1 is everything north of the Thames and to the east of England, hence the M1, M11, A11, A12 and A13, amongst others. Zone 2 is south of the Thames and to the each, so M2, M20, M25 etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bri ... ing_system

rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

What does the 35 years undefeated asking the ICF 35 years undefeated. Apparently its not they've won every fight they've been in .Had a discussion with someone yesterday.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

A bloke I work with reckons that he is "old skool"
At what age do you become old skool?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Tristan Shout wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:56 am A bloke I work with reckons that he is "old skool"
when radio two plays songs you grew up to?

edit: not listened to R2 in years, so don't know if they still play 'older' songs playlists or not.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Tristan Shout wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:56 am A bloke I work with reckons that he is "old skool"
Has he given himself a nickname?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Arnold Layne wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am Has he given himself a nickname?
The Silk
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Can anyone recommend an app for andriod - that can either easily make notes, or is a free to use exercise app.? Prefer the note taking, as I can dig up my old routine that I had and put that on my phone and have found dedicated apps often are too rigid in use.

I want to make '23 a year when I get my waistline back in order and build up some (be happy with even limitied for now) cardio. Recently it has become obvious that since covid I have done nothing and it shows badly - wheezing after climbing just a few flights of stairs, out of breath after just a short fast-walk, etc.

cheers. :newthumb:
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 am Can anyone recommend an app for andriod - that can either easily make notes, or is a free to use exercise app.? Prefer the note taking, as I can dig up my old routine that I had and put that on my phone and have found dedicated apps often are too rigid in use.

I want to make '23 a year when I get my waistline back in order and build up some (be happy with even limitied for now) cardio. Recently it has become obvious that since covid I have done nothing and it shows badly - wheezing after climbing just a few flights of stairs, out of breath after just a short fast-walk, etc.

cheers. :newthumb:
Google Keep - Notes and Lists, it's free and works well.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Why are share prices delayed by 15 minutes on BBC Business and other financial websites?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:43 pm Why are share prices delayed by 15 minutes on BBC Business and other financial websites?
To protect themselves from losers who would otherwise claim that a fraction of a second delay is a purported 'live' feed cost them millions.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Algarve Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:11 pm Google Keep - Notes and Lists, it's free and works well.
Support for that was discontinued about 18 months ago
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:43 pm Why are share prices delayed by 15 minutes on BBC Business and other financial websites?
Because 15 min delayed prices are free, and live prices cost a serious (per user) license fee from the stock exchange