Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Estuary »

The end of a frustrating time for the club, it’s supporters and the player. Haller May be the answer to our perpetual injury jinx, or like Dean Ashton, he may be another “if only” player.
But let’s get this straight, in all my 50 years of watching West Ham I have never seen a player dominate a whole defence like Carroll did v the likes of Fulham, Swansea and Arsenal, he had it all, but was let down by a fragility that belied his physic.
I wish him all the best at his home town club, but expect a similar outcome, your body doesn’t improve with wear and tear, and the rigours of remedial physio therapy put huge strain on you, add to that he has a full pre-season to cover, sadly for him it’ll end as it always did, out after five games and two goals not to return until April. He will be done with football in summer 2020.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The difference between us and Newcastle is writ large by this transfer, in my opinion.

We spent big on a frontline striker and then went out and got a younger prospect as a second choice.

They spent big on a frontline striker and then went out and got Andy Carroll on the footballing equivalent of a zero hours contract.

Wish him the best. I suspect there will always be the air of 'what if?' around his time here.
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

Entertaining ? Yes ! Value For Money ? No !
I'm glad to see him go.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Hpoefully he will be injured by the time we play Newcasltle , would hate to see hi score against us.

but you know it will happen
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he's also just coming off two ankle surgeries on the same ankle iirc....
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

That goal against Palace.
That hat trick against Arsenal.
That tackle on De Gea.

All good memories! The rest was mostly six years of frustrations. Really happy he will now be Newcastle's "like a new signing" every three months for the next year.
thespider
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by thespider »

It must be brilliant to have a job where you can earn an absolute fortune even though you achieve none of the things in your job description, only to move onto another job where you can continue to earn huge sums with the most likely probability being that you won't achieve much.
Last edited by thespider on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Estuary wrote: But let’s get this straight, in all my 50 years of watching West Ham I have never seen a player dominate a whole defence like Carroll did v the likes of Fulham, Swansea and Arsenal, he had it all,
i appreciate that the beauty of football is that it is all about opinions, but this is just madness, IMHO of course!
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
i appreciate that the beauty of football is that it is all about opinions, but this is just madness, IMHO of course!
As you say, it’s all about opinions.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I can’t make up my mind about him - and it all depends on whether the rumours about his supposed poor attitude are true or not.

If they aren’t, then I actually feel sorry for the bloke. Imagine having all that talent and being made of glass, spending all your time in recovery and watching your career pass you by.

If they are, then I have zero sympathy and a large well of resentment that someone blessed with an ability that most of us could only dream about spunked it all away. And he can f*** right off.

There is no in between for me - I just don’t know which it is.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Carroll has made more money from football than he should have in my opinion.

Whilst an effective player in certain situations, the £100k or so per week he was drawing for however many years, is a salary level he never would have reached if it weren't for Liverpool employing a footballing dinosaur as their manager back in 2011. And then another one being our manager a year or two later.

He didn't look after his body how he should have.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Carroll's twitter account announced his Newcastle contract with a video showing him scoring against us, as a Newcastle player from back when he was on the up.

:lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49285220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having completed 90 minutes in just four Premier League matches over the past two seasons, the fear is the Geordie will not be fit enough regularly to make a significant impact at his boyhood club.

Andy Townsend: "I think he has to have a change of mentality in the way he thinks and the way he prepares. If he is available for 25 games - set yourself a target - it could be a good bit of business."

he has made 25 starts in the last 3 seasons - is Townsend having a Steffi ?

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/23383 ... dy-Carroll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose he means able to come on the field for 25 appearances total - 3 starts 9 subs last season, 7 starts 9 subs season before...even so Andy T.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I loved Big Andy when he was fit. Complete monster who bullied even the strongest defenders. Sadly, it didn’t work out with injuries ruining a career that should have been more. Part of me is sad to see him go, as I always had the (naive) dream that suddenly he would put his injuries behind him and become consistent. Sadly, it was not to be.

Good luck big man.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

You know how you just have an irrational hatred for some people?

I think I have the opposite for Carroll - I should hate him for all the money he's had from us and the poor return, but I find myself hoping he does well at Newcastle...
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Couldnt keep up with me in the boozing stakes the other week, shows he is not match fit.
Needs to train a bit more, work up slowly from 8 pints a night to 14.
He will be fine.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ballantine wrote:That goal against Palace.
That hat trick against Arsenal.
That tackle on De Gea.

All good memories! The rest was mostly six years of frustrations. Really happy he will now be Newcastle's "like a new signing" every three months for the next year.

The one against Swansea weren't half bad either , I know he scored more than one against them , the goal when he beat about 3 players before slotting it into the roof of the net .

This one -

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Ludeksgloves wrote:I loved Big Andy when he was fit. Complete monster who bullied even the strongest defenders. Sadly, it didn’t work out with injuries ruining a career that should have been more. Part of me is sad to see him go, as I always had the (naive) dream that suddenly he would put his injuries behind him and become consistent. Sadly, it was not to be.

Good luck big man.
^^^^^^This sums it up for me! ^^^^^^. :thup:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

OohAahButler wrote:I can’t make up my mind about him - and it all depends on whether the rumours about his supposed poor attitude are true or not.

If they aren’t, then I actually feel sorry for the bloke. Imagine having all that talent and being made of glass, spending all your time in recovery and watching your career pass you by.

If they are, then I have zero sympathy and a large well of resentment that someone blessed with an ability that most of us could only dream about spunked it all away. And he can **** right off.

There is no in between for me - I just don’t know which it is.
My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed watching him when he was on it but that obviously was never often enough.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

szola wrote:Carroll's twitter account announced his Newcastle contract with a video showing him scoring against us, as a Newcastle player from back when he was on the up.

:lol:
Cheers Andy, ungrateful kunt !
We’ll just pay your high wages and health bills while you spend your time out on the jolly.