Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Re: Our new Sporting Director

Post by billtho »

Sale-Away wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:46 pm He's got a qualification in Entertainment, Media and Sports from Harvard - what have you ever done?
I got a swimming certificate at butlins which took as long as his course at harvard.If you want to give him a job that he knows nothing about then fair enough but don't make it out like he's a wiz kid.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by S-H »

When does he become responsible for our poor form?
Last edited by S-H on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Absolutely delighted by this decision. Don’t care about the title, just pleased he is back.

I agree that his role at the club has been vastly underestimated and this should hopefully go some way to lightening the pressure on Rice as well
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Mentioned in the Noble thread that this is fantastic news !
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

I think time will show that it's a political as well as a football decision.For a start Moyes wouldn't have him anywhere near the first team as regards tactics or decisions of playing whichever player. If the board sack Moyes now there won't be any protests about the board and Noble would be a excellent liason between a new foreign manager and the board which could suit the new man who is pulling the strings now.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

That's a bit sneaky by the club.
Getting him in on a free in january.
He'll have his boots on by February

Only kidding mark
As other have said your legs have gone.

First toe in the door as our next manager ?
Possibly probably maybe
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I suspect this has been planned for some time.

Title is irrelevant it is the role that matters. He is around for the likes of Rice to talk to as he was last year. He will help “bed in” the new players and ensure they and the youngsters understand what it means to play for West Ham, in essence he returns as the club captain he was last season.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:36 am Image

West Ham United is delighted to announce that Mark Noble is to return to the Club in the role of Sporting Director.

The Hammers legend will officially start in his post on 2 January 2023, following his retirement as a player earlier this year after 550 senior appearances across 18 years of magnificent service in a Claret and Blue shirt.

https://www.whufc.com/news/mark-noble-t ... HfWI5Atkvc
That picture is very misleading. As far as I know it is a club rule that every new member off staff has to do a crossed Hammers sign and say into the camera.
Come on you irons.

This guy doesn't appear to be committed to the cause
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

S-H wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:11 pm When does he become responsible for our poor form?
Our poor form is in the past, mate

We're going on a hot streak now.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I always believed he’d return to the club in another role. But I have to say, I didn’t think it would be this soon!

Great to see him back! :newthumb:
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

Having him back and around the team has got to be good for West Ham, I don't give a hoot what the job description is !
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:05 pm job for life hopefully
Why?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Gsbgsb wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:49 pm I suspect this has been planned for some time.

Title is irrelevant it is the role that matters. He is around for the likes of Rice to talk to as he was last year. He will help “bed in” the new players and ensure they and the youngsters understand what it means to play for West Ham, in essence he returns as the club captain he was last season.
I couldn't pick any of them out but there were comments when he left and in the documentary that made it sound as though some sort of return was already in place for him. Have seen one or two posts on here and on social media suggesting this is directly related to our current poor form, I don't think it's anything of the sort.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 pm A director role is an upstairs role, not on the training ground so it would seem weird if he was connected directly with first team affairs.
Not necessarily. Any senior management role is what you make it. I was always an advocate of management by walking about. Get down with the workforce and see how best to help assist them in their job. I can't see Noble locking himself away in an office.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I wonder how long it will take before his footballers feet start getting really itchy to join in on the training pitches again...

This'll definitely do for now though and gives him a good understanding of the inner workings of a Club away from the training ground. :thup:
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Strange, that he's put in duch a key position (on paper) right after his active career as a player. And I'm highly sceptical, that he's up for the task, if he's really working as a full-time Sporting Director with huge responsibilities from the start. At a PL club, that just has spent roundabout 150m in the last transfer window in new players and wants to be a force in the Top 10 of the best league in world football, THIS is a key role in football, no question about that. A job that requires worldwide contacts and knowledge that goes far beyond playing in the PremierLeague and knowing East London inside out.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I'm just glad he's back on the payroll to offer himself up as an honourable Club scapegoat again.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:04 pm Strange, that he's put in duch a key position (on paper) right after his active career as a player. And I'm highly sceptical, that he's up for the task, if he's really working as a full-time Sporting Director with huge responsibilities from the start. At a PL club, that just has spent roundabout 150m in the last transfer window in new players and wants to be a force in the Top 10 of the best league in world football, THIS is a key role in football, no question about that. A job that requires worldwide contacts and knowledge that goes far beyond playing in the PremierLeague and knowing East London inside out.
I don't think he's going to be what is commonly a "Sporting Director" like looking for players etc. that's Newman's job.

I think he'll just be around the complex, watching what's going on with the Academy Coaching - remember he came up under Tony Carr and I would suggest, he might just have a look see and maybe give input to Carlton and them. or maybe just report back to the management and tell them what he sees, what kind of things they might improve on. we know he went to watch those kids play anyway when he was still playing.

he'll welcome new players or as the case is with the new blokes already here, maybe just have a chat and see what can be done to make them more comfortable. stupid things that maybe is taken for granted but people didn't think to ask.

I think he'll sit in on meetings, but not at the board level, I'm guessing there's someone already doing that. he might, I have no idea. but I'm guessing it's being seen about the place, trying to improve things that might need to improve, maybe just even crack a joke or two. or maybe even take Paqueta Monster Carping with Ali and Bobby Zamora !!!

(although I know Ali's not doing that any more)........

he's been there so long, and underpaid probably pretty much compared to, maybe they want to give him some wedge and just have him around. can you imagine a Match Day meet and greet ?

Pinky will be first in line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

I personally don't think it's the right move,because he has no experience in the role.Trevor Brooking would have been a better choice,though maybe a little old now.

I wish him luck though
Colours never run

It does seem a little strange. Not only zero experience but he's only 35 having known nothing else but playing the game and gaining some of his coaching badges, I believe. Doesn't mean he can't be successful at it, just strange timing is all. If he thinks he's up to it and can make a real difference then fantastic. I do also genuinely doubt how much he'll miss being out on the training pitch is some capacity. That level of experience and expertise seems a waste for both us and for him but only he will know deep down how badly he'll miss it. My gut feeling is he will, however I could well be wrong.